Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,731,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No, like these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule#/...e:Juancito.jpg

I guarantee you there are places they can and will go, that you'll never have a chance using your internal combustion doohickeys.
Relaaaaax. I prefer hiking over 4-wheeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 08:14 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,012,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Why are people on here so adamant about competition, and are quick to cry monopoly before even the federal government?

The Jeep is iconic. Every other brand modified to be as capable is a wannabe, in the eyes of those who run trails.
Pretty sure my old FJ80 wasn't a wannabe and was every bit as capable as any jeep on the market.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:16 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,012,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
After you modded them to the max so they would have the capability of a stock Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
That's great except I don't need the capability of a stock Rubicon and neither do 99% of Rubicon owners. I just need something to daily drive and handle mild trails.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:32 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,193,894 times
Only read a few replies, so sorry if this is redundant. A serious off-roader (I'm one) could build something so far superior for so less than $19k. The XJ is a good start and can be found for about $500 these days and turned into a monster for $5k.

So, No.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:48 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,685,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I don’t know if quality has changed recently, but the Wrangler I bought had more problems than any other new vehicle I’ve ever bought. It did everything I expected of it well, but I didn’t want to keep something that had so many problems after so many decades for Jeep to get things right.
No...nothing has changed recently, FCA has had quality issues for as long as I can remember. With that said the Wrangler (at least the last gen) was ranked as one of Jeeps more reliable models (not like that is really saying much).

Sorry you had so many problems, as you know they are hella fun when they run so that is really disappointing. My TJ has proven to be exceptionally reliable for a 21 year old vehicle, but I am really committed to staying on top of maintenance.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,685,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
No...nothing has changed recently, FCA has had quality issues for as long as I can remember. With that said the Wrangler (at least the last gen) was ranked as one of Jeeps more reliable models (not like that is really saying much).

Sorry you had so many problems, as you know they are hella fun when they run so that is really disappointing. My TJ has proven to be exceptionally reliable for a 21 year old vehicle, but I am really committed to staying on top of maintenance.
I wasn't able to edit the above reply but it wasn't until hours later after posting if occurred to me that the post I was replying to probably was meant to imply that there maybe a reliability had improved with the new model. While that would be great we will all have to wait and see on that one. My biggest concern is the increasing complexity of this new generation but time will tell.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,731,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I wasn't able to edit the above reply but it wasn't until hours later after posting if occurred to me that the post I was replying to probably was meant to imply that there maybe a reliability had improved with the new model. While that would be great we will all have to wait and see on that one. My biggest concern is the increasing complexity of this new generation but time will tell.
More complexity = more things to go wrong.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:52 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,975,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Pretty sure my old FJ80 wasn't a wannabe and was every bit as capable as any jeep on the market.
Vintage Land Cruisers are icons in the 4WD field. Just hardly ever see them. I remember helping get one unstuck with several guys using brute force. The guy next to me fell down and tackled me as he fell. Considering the geometry of the stuck Land Cruiser that was beyond exciting.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:02 AM

34,262 posts, read 18,641,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Jeep Wranglers are prohibitively expensive and the build quality is absolute garbage. The reason they sell so well is there is no competition for them. Hopefully the Ford Bronco competes.
I have a 2003 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport I still drive, mostly just for weekends, that has seen a lot of off roading. It has been very reliable for me with just normal maintenance. I guess the newer ones aren't made as well, but I have no personal experience with them.

I wish Jeep, and Toyota (or others) would make a throw back, simple, less expensive, but capable Jeep style vehicle that more could afford, and operate. Lose some of the non essential technology, and focus on the basics.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:26 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,975,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have a 2003 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport I still drive, mostly just for weekends, that has seen a lot of off roading. It has been very reliable for me with just normal maintenance. I guess the newer ones aren't made as well, but I have no personal experience with them.

I wish Jeep, and Toyota (or others) would make a throw back, simple, less expensive, but capable Jeep style vehicle that more could afford, and operate. Lose some of the non essential technology, and focus on the basics.
I don't see that happening though. My solution is simple - buy older vehicles. Just bought a 2006 Ford F-150 and was relieved to see manual windows. Manual windows always work and I think electric windows are just ridiculous. Same with seats and mirrors.

My late father was a medical electrician for 40 years. He always said that more stuff equals more breakdowns. Always. He single handedly managed hospital maintenance at Torrejon and Ellsworth and Lowry AFB. As medical equipment grew more complex, they went from one guy at Lowry dispensary to three guys. I would guess that Ellsworth AFB now requires at least six guys to keep the high tech equipment running properly.

His pay grade was a humble G-5. I would imagine that is now a G-11. Wondrous things happen with fiat money - like a 22.5 trillion dollar debt and millions of "extremely comfortable" government employees - to the point of arrogance. Rant over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive