Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 07:15 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,993,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Why aren't police cars in the USA high vis like in Europe? The biggest fraction of police officer deaths is from car crashes, yet we choose to make our police vehicles either black or black + white. A few agencies use white with colored markings but that is changing quickly.

European police cars look like this:

Mod cu: copyrighted imaget.

American police cars look like this:

Mod cut: copyrighted image.
Because police work is largely about revenue generation, and you can see a high-vis cop car a lot easier (surprise!) and have a higher chance of avoiding a speed trap, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 02:23 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
This is an odd question that sounds as if someone has been watching too many old TV shows. I have no police in my town (State Troopers only, white with blue and yellow stripes) but the neighboring town has snazzy silver grey ones with black letters. Another neighboring town has green and white. Different towns have different colors.

Maryland State Troopers have yellow, or used to.

Weird thread.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:34 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,756,001 times
Quote:
American police cars are almost all black, or black with white decals, and all of them have decals of some kind, so why not use high vis decals?
Not sure where you get your ideas. Many police cars are different colors. Many here are white, the highway patrol is dark blue. All have high visibility decals.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:33 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
I believe the reason for the accidents involve a combination of high intensity flashing lights and driver target fixation. At night on roads not well lit your eyes adjust to the darkness and then you come across blindingly bright flashing police car lights. Some drivers are blinded by these lights. In other cases the driver becomes so focused on the police car and the vehicle they pulled over or accident they’re responding to that they unintentionally drive directly into the police car. Even black police cars have a reflective material that lights up when car headlights hit them. The problem isn’t the cars, it’s the drivers.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:06 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is an odd question that sounds as if someone has been watching too many old TV shows. I have no police in my town (State Troopers only, white with blue and yellow stripes) but the neighboring town has snazzy silver grey ones with black letters. Another neighboring town has green and white. Different towns have different colors.

Maryland State Troopers have yellow, or used to.

Weird thread.
Maryland State Troopers now use mostly Brown cars.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:23 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Some cars used by police have roofs that slant forward, so the profile of the small emergency lights will be harder to spot when they are turned off. It's all for the sake of stealth and surprise. The old general theory about police patrols, was first, to be seen, to discourage the violation of laws and traffic ordinances. Now, it's apparently focused on raising money with as many large fines as possible.

One time, I almost got picked-off by a police car in front of my home. At night, I took a few steps out into the street, before I became aware of a ghost car coming towards me without lights or its motor running. I spun around and dived for safety and the car never stopped, but kept coasting for another block. Guess whose fault it would have been, if I'd been hit?
Some of those new LED lights are now essentially not much bigger than roof rack rails. And with more and more going to SUV's. It's becoming much harder to spot them.

Where I live, the county uses mainly dark blue Ford Explorers. This has "trained" me to slow down or look at all blue or black Explorers when I'm on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Maryland State Troopers now use mostly Brown cars.
More olive and black no?

They actually blend in very well with trees/foliage behind them. Speed traps on I70 would be hard to spot if it wasn't for everyone lighting up their brakes

Old 08-23-2019, 08:03 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Not sure where you get your ideas. Many police cars are different colors. Many here are white, the highway patrol is dark blue. All have high visibility decals.
I work in state law enforcement. I see police vehicles from across the state every day. The vast majority are black, some are black and white, and few are white. I have never seen any police car with high visibility Battenburg markings. The vehicles where I work now only have one white panel, the hood. So they are effectively low vis and officers have noticed that they are less visible to drivers.

Again, I did not say every single police vehicle is low vis. I'm talking about the broad trend. Just because you saw one high vis police car once doesn't disprove what this thread is about.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:05 AM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Why aren't police cars in the USA high vis like in Europe? The biggest fraction of police officer deaths is from car crashes, yet we choose to make our police vehicles either black or black + white. A few agencies use white with colored markings but that is changing quickly.

European police cars look like this:

Mod cu: copyrighted imaget.

American police cars look like this:

Mod cut: copyrighted image.
USA cop cars are not under a universal mandate as to color and markings. They're every color of the rainbow. The locals here have black, a couple of unmarked units are so black as to be near invisible, township are beige which are almost invisible, city are black and white. They all have reflective decals.

The staties are grey Chargers.

And car crashes aren't caused by color, they're caused by a series of events and mistakes that result in proving again the law of physics that states two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:07 AM

949 posts, read 573,173 times
They can easily hide or be discrete, plus it's a cheap color.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:11 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,837 times
Here's an article about Baltimore switching from white to black. The police chief said he wanted to project a tougher image, despite white being associated with community policing and visibility for when you need help

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/cr...114-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive