Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 11:40 PM

23,404 posts, read 19,031,037 times

Advertisements

My '76 VW wagon was sold to the maintenance man at the wildlife reserve I worked/lived at. He had watched me care for the car for months. I had decided I needed something a bit larger and while at the lunch table one day was discussing trading it in. He offered me cash for it then and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 12:22 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,885,743 times
A few years ago I decided I had one too many hot rods, so I took one to a show, put a sign on it and went to look at other cars. My phone rang, a guy said he wanted to talk to me about it, so we went back. 10 minutes later, he bought it. He arranged to wire the money to my bank, and he picked it up a week later.

I didn't have time to wonder if I made a mistake or not.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:10 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,223,458 times
My GF had a 78 Lincoln Mark V, and was tired of driving a 10-yo limo, which reminded her of her ex and needed work. We put an ad in the paper for $1200 and at 7 am the phone was ringing. Guy sad I'm in your parking lot, I'll take it, give you $200 now and $1000 when the bank opens. Few minutes later, we turn down $1500 from another guy. Caller #1 gives is the extra 200, for honoring his hold.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:33 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,861,753 times
Sold a 2002 GMC Sierra pickup in 6 hours after listing it on CL.

The big selling point - only 119k on a 10 year old pickup in good shape.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:56 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,257,532 times
I've sold a few cars in a matter of hours from listing them.

Fastest for selling a vehicle though, would be when I sold one of my motorcycles, I had a 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R, and I was upgrading to a 2006 ZX10R. I had just gotten home with the 10R and I was swapping a few pieces from the 6R over to the 10R in my driveway and a guy that lives in the condo a few doors down came by walking his dog and started asking about the bikes, I said I just got the 10R as an upgrade. "What are you going to do with the 6R?" I'll put it up for sale... how much, he asks. 5k. "I'll buy it," he says. "Be right back."

Walked back to his condo, got $5k in cash, came back and I went upstairs, got the title and signed it over to him. Easiest sale I ever made.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 825,917 times
A $2000 Nissan Sentra that we were selling for our daughter. Husband put it online before bedtime, in the morning he had multiple messages. The first ones he messaged back were the ones we sold it to - a young couple who begged him not to sell it before they went to the bank then came to our house with the cash (10 minutes away). He had other similar calls before they made it. Crazy. We didn't know that in our new city cheap little cars were hot items.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:36 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,263,172 times
I usually trade my old vehicles for new ones at the dealership, but several years ago (early 90s) a friend of mine had taken a job as car salesman. I stopped and talked to him about trading my '85 Toyota for a 1-ton truck because I wanted a large camper. He said he'd be happy to take my Toy in trade but couldn't give me what it was worth. He said I should put an ad in the paper for 50% more than he could offer for it and he thought I'd sell it within a couple days.

He was right. In fact, I think I priced it at about 60% more than what the dealership could give me for it as a trade-in. The newspapers hadn't left the newspaper office yet and a guy called me. He'd gone to the newspaper office and waited for the first papers to come off the press. He called and asked if I still had it. (Yes.) He said he'd be over in 10 minutes. He came with cash in his pocket. No dickering, no test drive, no nothing. He'd been looking for a nice Toyota for his soon-to-be-16 y.o. son. He looked at it and handed me the cash. Done deal. A couple hours later I got my newspaper delivered. So how quickly did it sell? Mighty quick.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:48 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,069,335 times
I cleaned up my 2015 Acura RDX with 55,000 miles on a Sunday morning in March, 2018, after installing a new grill. I ran it through the car wash and then, took a few pictures in a nice setting. I listed it on CL at noon and the first person and his wife who looked at it at 2 pm, gave me a deposit. I met the husband at their bank the next day to collect the balance and have his bank notarize the title after I signed it over. We went to a DMV vendor, the buyer took care of the tags and then dropped me off at home.

Easy, peasy. The scammers on CL didn't even have time to contact me. lol

Old 08-29-2019, 01:17 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,596,635 times
I put a sign on my Nissan truck and sold it an hour later. Also put sign on my Dodge van and sold it after 3 hours. Cash, no problems.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:09 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,166,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I sold a 2002 Nissan Altima in April to an apartment neighbor without actually putting it up for sale. We were talking one day and I mentioned that I might sell my car before leaving Tucson to spend 4 or 5 months in Germany, during Tucson's hottest weather months. She offered to buy it because her daughters wanted a car, and she knew my car was in good condition and well cared for. It could not have been any easier than that.
Similarly, when my dad passed he went with a mid-2ks Chrysler Trashcart. He loved his Chryslers and Dodges. This one had a few electrical squirrels. I hated it, it was ugly, drove looser than a Hooters Waitress.

I mentioned it was for sale to some of his pals at the wake. Two pals-of-pals were interested. I said, truthfully, I was an inch from trading it in on a '08 Porsche 911 S4 in 'Jersey. I also mentioned it "probably needed a new battery," which was true...pretty much. I was debating that trade-in, hard...not only did these two fellas give me KBB private party for it (which was more than fair), they did so in cash. AFTER I used it about ten days on local business related to the estate. I replaced the battery, though that probably wasn't the real problem.

We drove it to the airport. I handed them the title, grabbed my bags, and boogied. That it still ran at the time was shocking. Easiest $6K I've ever made. I'd have let it go for $4K or less. Lucky me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive