Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:16 AM

179 posts, read 273,017 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I hope to get some feedback on how to handle my current car situation. I started a lease on a new car in California in January, stopped living there, currently have it in IL with the CA plates, and may need to/want to get rid of the car within the month to accept a job out of the country. As I don't have experience selling or getting rid of a car, I am not sure what to expect. I have heard to use a website to sell the lease to someone, who then takes it over. Will I likely encounter some situation where the monthly payment is too high for an Illinois resident (since the lease terms were in CA)? I also heard in CA that Carmax likes to buy relatively new leased cars. What are the pros/cons to going that route?

Thank you in advance for all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 07:22 AM

3,320 posts, read 2,349,448 times
Some lenders do not allow out of state lease assumptions, meaning another CA resident would have to take it over. Who is the vehicle leased with?

Old 10-03-2019, 07:28 AM

17,414 posts, read 22,161,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
Hi.

I hope to get some feedback on how to handle my current car situation. I started a lease on a new car in California in January, stopped living there, currently have it in IL with the CA plates, and may need to/want to get rid of the car within the month to accept a job out of the country. As I don't have experience selling or getting rid of a car, I am not sure what to expect. I have heard to use a website to sell the lease to someone, who then takes it over. Will I likely encounter some situation where the monthly payment is too high for an Illinois resident (since the lease terms were in CA)? I also heard in CA that Carmax likes to buy relatively new leased cars. What are the pros/cons to going that route?

Thank you in advance for all feedback.
Carmax will buy it but if you owe more than it is worth (payments + buyout) then you have to pay Carmax upfront before they will take it. If you owe 30 payments of 450 (13,500) and the buyout is 15,000 then Carmax offers you 22,300 then you will have to give Carmax the difference ($6200)

Lease trader and swap a lease will let you get rid of it there but again if you had a bad lease it will be hard to unload unless you pay someone some incentives (cash up front).

Old 10-03-2019, 08:09 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,313,890 times
Worst case, you need to pay the entire amount of the lease and turn in the car. Likely, you'll have to pay a few grand to either flip it to Carmax or another buyer.

I used a lease flipping site in Canada when I relocated to the states, and ended up giving the person who took over my lease almost a year's worth of payments for them to take it off my hands.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Some lenders do not allow out of state lease assumptions, meaning another CA resident would have to take it over. Who is the vehicle leased with?
Kia of Glendale.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:11 AM

*I was told by Kia Finance that the only two options I have are to have a dealer buy it at full price + sales tax or turn it in and have them take it to auction.

Swapalease said they could do a nontraditional program with a listing fee while Lease Trader said I HAVE TO sell to a dealership given how Kia operates.

Any advice on approaching trying to get a dealer to buy it at full price? Vacuum it, take personal belongings out, and just show up?

Old 10-03-2019, 01:55 PM

22,390 posts, read 29,512,450 times
Do not turn the vehicle in. You will have a repossession on your credit. You are upside down and will not be able to get out of the lease as simple as you think.

Try swap a lease.

Try to see if the dealer will buy it back-you'll owe the difference.

See if you can get a TRUSTED friend to take the lease over.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:04 PM

5,769 posts, read 4,730,059 times
I've sold several leased vehicles and transferred into and out of several leases.

It all depends on the lease terms. Read your lease. It will all be explained there.

Some lease companies allow leases to be completely transferred (which means the original lessee is removed from the lease and new person added) and others allow only a partial transfer (which means the original lessee is not removed from the lease even though a new person is added to the lease).

Every lease has a buyout amount, which changes (goes down) monthly as payments are made. However, in 90% of cases, there is negative equity, so you'd have to kick in some money to sell the car to someone else.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:42 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,313,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
*I was told by Kia Finance that the only two options I have are to have a dealer buy it at full price + sales tax or turn it in and have them take it to auction.

Swapalease said they could do a nontraditional program with a listing fee while Lease Trader said I HAVE TO sell to a dealership given how Kia operates.

Any advice on approaching trying to get a dealer to buy it at full price? Vacuum it, take personal belongings out, and just show up?
There is a 0.0% chance that a dealer will pay anything close to full price. They're trying to move their current inventory. Take a look at what your car sells for used, and drop a couple grand off that. That will be your best case number. Based on the numbers I see, Kia drops about 30%+ the minute you drive it off a lot. So if your lease value was around $30K, best case, you'll be looking at getting under $20K.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:04 AM

17,414 posts, read 22,161,043 times
Take it to carmax and see how bad you are screwed......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive