Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 01:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,410,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I have not had good luck with the gw1c. (After 3.) The cards lose formatting and won't read nor reformat. Also the menu is difficult to use and I've had trouble with accessing parts of the menu.

Found some at Walmart for $9 that aren't any better. Right now my opinion of dash cams is they are mostly junk.

You really need, front, rear and cabin cams to CYA from accidents, scams, bad cops and road rage.

Why don't they start building them into cars?
I have this problem too. I think the problem is the cards rather than the cam. I have a totally different brand dash cam but find that I need to replace the microSD card approx. once per year. I think most microSD cards just can't handle constant rewrites before failing. At least they are only a few dollars, but I would pay more if I could find one that was up to the task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 02:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,448,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Recomment to me a good quality Dash Cam. 1080p quality at minimum. ability to record forward and in cabin a plus.
Donnie (lol), the best advice I can give you is to watch a bunch of YouTube videos "dash cam compilations". This seems counter-intuitive but don't watch the ones that actually say they are reviews of dash cams. You want to see video in real-life situations.

Why? Most dash cam manufacturers have a banner at the bottom of their recording that shows the brand, and sometimes even the model of dash cam being used. Watch a bunch of videos and remember the names that WOW you in daylight and the dark. Then buy the 4K model with front and rear facing cameras.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:19 PM

1,062 posts, read 984,791 times
Blackvue because they use a supercapacitor rather than a battery so they can handle the heat of a car better. Get one for the front and one for the rear

Old 10-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Blackvue because they use a supercapacitor rather than a battery so they can handle the heat of a car better. Get one for the front and one for the rear
I second this. I have a good, somewhat expensive dash cam but the battery failed after one summer. Capacitors don't have the same capacity as a battery but they don't die the way batteries do in a hot summer car.

I agree- if I could redo my purchase I would have bought a cam with a capacitor instead of a battery.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,292,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I have this problem too. I think the problem is the cards rather than the cam. I have a totally different brand dash cam but find that I need to replace the microSD card approx. once per year. I think most microSD cards just can't handle constant rewrites before failing. At least they are only a few dollars, but I would pay more if I could find one that was up to the task.
You need MicroSD or SD cards rated for continuous recording. SanDisk makes a “high endurance” card for this exact reason. And even then they’re only good for 20,000 hours.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You need MicroSD or SD cards rated for continuous recording. SanDisk makes a “high endurance” card for this exact reason. And even then they’re only good for 20,000 hours.
Thanks for the note. Didn't even realize these exist. Googled it and buying one now!

Old 10-19-2019, 03:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
interestingly enough, i got rear ended while driving home from work yesterday. it was pretty obvious what happened so we took each others info and parted ways. (while his family and a friend showed up to call me an ******* and say im dumb because im from new jersey). i called his insurance to file a claim on the way home and then the person called him up. he completely fabricated a story about me backing out of a driveway into him (i dont think that could hold up under any scrutiny). so this morning i sent my dashcam footage to the insurance company and a few minutes ago i was notified that they are accepting 100% liability.

so get a dash cam.

i should have picked up on the problem when the dad started yelling at me that its my fault because i stopped short (still wouldnt be my fault but it wasnt even a short stop). all around me people on the phone talking to people calling me an a-hole. it was hilarious. the dad got next to me while on the phone and starts saying all kinds of nasty stuff about me. so i started to engage him and poke fun at him. that part was actually a lot of fun. everyone is all mad at me like i did something wrong when it was this kid that ran into me.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:44 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,651,249 times
I was reading something the other day that said dash cams have really gotten popular in other countries, for some reason, they dont seem to be as popular here in the US, Ive thought about getting a forward facing one, or one mounted on the ceiling mid-car, so it can see forward and some of the side windows.

I realize they are video recording devices, but does anyone know if they actually hold up in (like in a court case), to prove or disprove something? Just because they record video doesnt necessarily mean they will hold up in a courtroom!

Old 10-20-2019, 01:00 AM

656 posts, read 1,377,715 times
The thing that stinks about consumer dash cams is the super wide angle of the cameras will make the closest things look like they are a mile away. The ones on buses, ambulances and the RV's with the camera/separate hard drive unit like a SEON, Gatekeeper, etc aren't a wide angle lense but they are a permanent install. I just hate seeing the video and the car that's actually tailgating you looks like its 3 car lengths away when you play it back.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
here is a pic of my rear end and his front. a friend said he thinks i have $2,500 in damage, my wife says $3k but i have a feeling its going to be substantially more. it may not look terrible, but a lot of different pieces back there are bent out of shape and my exhaust system seems to have been compromised since i hear more engine noise now. his pretty bmw 6 series isnt so pretty anymore.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive