Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 02:40 PM

455 posts, read 465,236 times

Advertisements

THINK CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BUY A [BLEEP]

How [Bleep] ran off a brand loyal customer who had already decided to purchase another one and would probably have purchased more.

One evening I left a pizza parlor and had driven about a quarter mile when my engine blew. My car was a 2012 [Bleep] purchased brand new in 2013. I loved that car, and because it was a turbo, all of my oil changes and other maintenance work was done at the dealership where I bought the car. I only purchased a few tires and a battery elsewhere. 98% of the gas I put in the car was Top tier, to protect the engine.

2012-2016 [Bleep] engines (along with parent, [Bleep]) have been the subject of numerous recalls for engine issues. My [Bleep] was not involved in that, but involved in a separate recall having to do with oil pan leaks.

My car was covered by a 100,000 mile power train warranty. The engine blew at 101,100 miles. It turns out there was no oil in the engine. The [Bleep] dealership technician reported there were no external oil leaks. I never saw any indication of a “Check engine light,” or any other warning on my dash.

After a month of phone calls and waiting, [Bleep] Corporate office declined to pay for another engine. I had to continually call them and twice they told me they would escalate my case, only to find out when I called back they had not done so. The whole process took more than a month to resolve. Evidently, they have a lot of cases to wade through. Or they’re just incompetent. I don’t know. Their [Bleep] Customer Care folks sound very friendly on the phone, but they suck at follow up.

I’ve had several cars pass the century mark on mileage and far exceed the [Bleep]. I had a 2003 Ford Taurus that made it to 128,000 miles before trade-in and the engine was performing just fine. Our 2004 Sienna Minivan made it to 148,000 miles and again, it wasn’t the engine that was the issue.

“Well, why didn’t you check the oil?” Fair enough. None of the cars above ever needed to have the oil checked in between oil changes. They lasted much longer. Why should the [Bleep]? I had the oil changed every 5,000 miles. It had 1,000 to go before the next one and I was already monitoring the mileage. The owner’s manual says you should check the oil every time you put gas in. Who does that anymore?

I had planned to turn the [Bleep] over to my college-aged son and purchase a [Bleep] or one of their full-size sedans (I had already gone out looking at them) but not anymore. Tomorrow, I’ll pick up my 2020 Toyota at the dealership.

I’d have been happy with a used engine with a 50,000 mile warranty, the cost of which would have been recouped on my next purchase. Not gonna happen now.

Be careful if you purchase a [Bleep]. And check your oil on a regular basis, especially if it’s not under warranty.

[Bleep]

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-17-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 02:50 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,348,918 times
Short version...guy never checked the oil on a car with 100,000 miles on it and blew the engine due to no oil. My guess is a turbo seal blew, and it started drinking oil like crazy. It's on him for not checking it every so often.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,929,124 times
That was my thought - yeah check your oil. Coolant too. If you do not know that then do not buy a car. They call those lights "idiot lights" for a reason.

Newsflash - no one makes an ICE car where you do not need to check the oil and coolant regularly. The idea of someone never checking their oil for 100,000 miles and then complaining that it failed, is going to have me laughing all evening. Thank you.

The oil may well have been leaking out in tiny amounts due to an improperly installed drain plug or filter from the last oil change. Actually, immediately after an oil change is one of the most important times to regularly check your oil.

It is also amusing that this anecdote is from 2013. A lot of cheapo companies started out with terrible cars and now make very good cars. While Hyundai is probably the best example, Honda, Toyota, VW, Subaru and Mazda are all in the club. Is there any indication [Bleep] has not improved?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-17-2019 at 04:21 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 03:43 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,352,164 times
I can say that [Bleep] definitely stand behind their powertrain warranties. I took my 2013 Sonata in to the dealer for the 100,000 mile checkup. I was about 300 miles short of 100K. While the vehicle was in, they ran full diagnostics on it. It returned codes indicative of an internal engine problem (despite the fact that my vehicle was not among the batch that had known engine issues). They dropped the oil pan and it was like glitter. Long story short, the dealer rebuilt my engine at no cost to me.

Then again, I didn't run my engine out of oil more than 1,000 miles past the end of the warranty and then complain because I didn't get a free engine.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-17-2019 at 04:24 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 03:46 PM

455 posts, read 465,236 times
Actually, the anecdote is from six weeks ago. There was never any indication of an oil leak. I garage the car each night and would have noticed even a drop of oil on the cement. The technician also reported no external oil leaks and, if the an improperly installed drain plug had been the issue, we’d have seen it. Never have I ever had an issue with the oil level in any car, domestic or foreign, built after 1988. The dealership was actually on my side. It was [Bleep] that refused to at least even meet me half way. And then they exhibited lousy customer service in the follow up.

Did you miss the part where I wrote there was never an “idiot light” showing on the dash? I am not Penny on Big Bang Theory. I don’t drive with the check engine light on.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-17-2019 at 04:25 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 03:47 PM

22,387 posts, read 29,512,450 times
When you did have your oil changed the service center should have advised you your oil level was low by such and such quarts. Sounds like you didn't pay attention..

Old 10-17-2019, 03:49 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,352,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
It was [Bleep] that refused to at least even meet me half way. And then they exhibited lousy customer service in the follow up.
I don't know why they would. You were well out of warranty. I don't see any fault with the company here.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-17-2019 at 04:26 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 03:58 PM

8,543 posts, read 4,785,793 times
As a PR move, I really think they should have done some goodwill work for you on that. A lot of hay has been made on forums about these engine troubles, and perhaps it’s cheap at the cost for them to zip a new engine in there, especially if the alternative costs them a sale of a high-margin hottie like a [Bleep]. But turbo engines are hard on and particular about their oil, [Bleep] or otherwise, and I am actually shocked that there aren’t more issues with the crop of turbo engines we’ve seen from everyone in the last 10 years.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-17-2019 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 04:04 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,161,817 times
So the low oil pressure light didn't come on? Does this rig have an oil pressure gauge?

Anyway the problem is thinking the $tealer will "take care" of you. As you found out the hard way, they won't.

Also particularly with older cars you have to develop an awareness of what the car is doing. This car was not driving along perfectly fine one second and seizing an engine the next second. If the turbo seal went out and started sucking your oil into the intake or exhaust sides, you had at least a few seconds of epic exhaust smoke, but you didn't notice it.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:05 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,562,687 times
While I agree to stay away from [Bleep] (I didn't need your advice to arrive at this conclusion), what's the problem? your engine blew outside the warranty period. Whether you had prior vehicles or whether an engine should last past 100k isn't relevant, because that's the warranty period. Which you agreed to when you bought the car new.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-17-2019 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive