Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 09:29 AM

8,369 posts, read 6,467,478 times

Advertisements

Free public charging is going to stop soon when there are more cars using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 10:24 AM

3,819 posts, read 2,343,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Free public charging is going to stop soon when there are more cars using them.

A lot of stores and restaurants and businesses see them as advertising costs. It costs a buck or two a day to have them used, so it's not like it costs much for each person using them. If a patron at a restaurant uses one while they eat, the cost of the electricity used is about 30 cents. Easily absorbed into the cost of the food so that the patron doesn't notice that they've really paid 30 cents for a free charge for 2 hours. Win-win for all involved.

And a lot of municipal chargers will remain free as a service. Again, look at how many are out there on plugshare in your area. It's a LOT.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM

17,361 posts, read 12,315,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
A lot of stores and restaurants and businesses see them as advertising costs. It costs a buck or two a day to have them used, so it's not like it costs much for each person using them. If a patron at a restaurant uses one while they eat, the cost of the electricity used is about 30 cents. Easily absorbed into the cost of the food so that the patron doesn't notice that they've really paid 30 cents for a free charge for 2 hours. Win-win for all involved.

And a lot of municipal chargers will remain free as a service. Again, look at how many are out there on plugshare in your area. It's a LOT.
Question really is, does that scale? Adding 2 or 3 chargers near the entrance of a business isn't that costly, dozens though spread out through the lot is another story.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Question really is, does that scale? Adding 2 or 3 chargers near the entrance of a business isn't that costly, dozens though spread out through the lot is another story.

Sure over time, especially if they get reimbursed by the power companies for the installations. it's already happening all over.

What we really need is a push to get apartments and condos to start installing them as part of an incentive to rent from them. You don't need charging stations out and about if you have them at home...

Old 10-31-2019, 12:08 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,248,838 times
Quote:
Sure over time, especially if they get reimbursed by the power companies for the installations. it's already happening all over.

What we really need is a push to get apartments and condos to start installing them as part of an incentive to rent from them. You don't need charging stations out and about if you have them at home...
The easy solution would be to adopt induction charging where EVs would just need to park in designated spots and not hassle with plugs and cords. Charging speeds would probably be pretty slow, but parking your car overnight while you sleep, while you sit for meal, movie, or long-term park at office park/airport should be plenty. Fast charging (level 3) is really only essential for professional livery drivers or while road-tripping.

As for the OP. PHEV typically have 3.3kW on-board chargers because it saves on manufacturing costs and design, and the battery packs are relatively small. PHEV typically offer 10-40mi of electric range and considers utilizing the ICE engine to work in hybrid mode for optimization. It is thought that 4hrs to fully charge a battery is ideal from a manufacturing standpoint. 3.3kW is rather small considering a Tesla Model 3 LR is able to charge up to 250kW/hr. The representative on the phone was giving very vague information, though I would not recommend paying for PHEV charging. You are typically charging by time duration and charging at 3.3kW is too slow for the math to make sense (or cents).

However, if you want to reduce the need for fossil fuel, pollute less, support the electric infrastructure, and as long as no one else NEEDS to charge their EV, then go for it. 3 gripes from EV owners:

1) PHEV that take too damn long to charge hogging a charging station.
2) PHEV that are charging while BEVs need to charge. PHEV can always run on gasoline, BEV solely rely on electricity.
3) Any car taking up an EV charging stall while not charging.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:47 PM

23,426 posts, read 19,043,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post

As for the OP. PHEV typically have 3.3kW on-board chargers because it saves on manufacturing costs and design, and the battery packs are relatively small. PHEV typically offer 10-40mi of electric range and considers utilizing the ICE engine to work in hybrid mode for optimization. It is thought that 4hrs to fully charge a battery is ideal from a manufacturing standpoint. 3.3kW is rather small considering a Tesla Model 3 LR is able to charge up to 250kW/hr. The representative on the phone was giving very vague information, though I would not recommend paying for PHEV charging. You are typically charging by time duration and charging at 3.3kW is too slow for the math to make sense (or cents).

However, if you want to reduce the need for fossil fuel, pollute less, support the electric infrastructure, and as long as no one else NEEDS to charge their EV, then go for it. 3 gripes from EV owners:

1) PHEV that take too damn long to charge hogging a charging station.
2) PHEV that are charging while BEVs need to charge. PHEV can always run on gasoline, BEV solely rely on electricity.
3) Any car taking up an EV charging stall while not charging.
Pardon my ignorance about PHEV technology, but why would you even need to plug one in away from your own garage? You have a "charger" incorporated right in to the vehicle. I thought that was the point of being a hybrid. I can certainly see why EV drivers could get a bit miffed at some PHEV hogging a charging station.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Pardon my ignorance about PHEV technology, but why would you even need to plug one in away from your own garage? You have a "charger" incorporated right in to the vehicle. I thought that was the point of being a hybrid. I can certainly see why EV drivers could get a bit miffed at some PHEV hogging a charging station.

You don't NEED to, but a lot of PHEV drivers, especially Volts and Claritys, tend to take great pride in how far they've driven never using the gas generator. so you often see them tend to use the L2 chargers out and about to keep from having to use the gas. I tend not to, as even on L2, the Volt doesn't charge very fast, so you don't get much back out of it, especially if you're just at the grocery store and only get in 15-20 minutes of charge (which is like 3-4 miles, big deal).

Old 10-31-2019, 05:56 PM

19,107 posts, read 27,702,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

because you are supposed to save money by charging hybrid battery off electricity and then driving whatever range you can on that charge.
What does make sense when you charge overnight at home, then you pay very little for those miles driven.
Not in case of my poster - he was offered to pay 40c a mile at a quick charger.

I had 2 hybrids and, to be honest, entire plug in thing is a gimmick to me. You have a vehicle that is continuously recharging its traction battery as you drive. What else do you need?
And I do understand that any hybrid will beat my 98 Grand Marquis mpg, I am not questioning that. But it was very ironic to read that proud owner of the latest and the greatest in hybrid technology (to the tune of around $35K price tag) will pay more per mile than proud owner of $1500 civil version of cop car.

I could almost read his thoughts - WDF did I even buy it? To be ripped off at charging station?

Old 10-31-2019, 06:19 PM

61,922 posts, read 87,512,332 times
Quote:
There are tens of thousands of free chargers across the country (they are not rare), and an app like Plugshare shows where they all are: https://www.plugshare.com/
All those chargers on this map are free? It's unclear from the map legend...

It seems to be a map of charge stations around the world. No word about them being free...

"PlugShare is a powerful mobile application and online tool that allows electric car owners to locate and optimize the use of EV charging stations. First of all, it's the most comprehensive and up-to-date database of electric vehicle charging stations in North America, Europe, and Asia."
https://www.plugincars.com/how-to-us...are-guide.html

I KNOW that the ones listed in my city aren't free...

Here is another map. Seem to list less station than on plugincars. (needs update?)
https://map.openchargemap.io/#/search

Charging costs explained:
https://www.plugincars.com/guide-to-...ing-costs.html

Last edited by elnina; 10-31-2019 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-31-2019, 06:43 PM

17,361 posts, read 12,315,779 times
You can filter free/paid on plugshare under the filter options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive