Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 03:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Doubt it.

Safer bet

Unless they plan on making every ICE vehicle illegal I don’t see how it’s gonna happen. There isn’t enough power on the grid to charge all the vehicles if they went all electric vehicles. You think gas companies are just gonna sit back and go out of business?
It’s interesting, because EVs to some extent pit electric utility companies and electrical generation companies against gas companies. Electrical utility companies are no saints, but they certainly wouldn’t mind having more money and probably don’t care if the money car owners save is less than the gas companies lose, because in the end it’s more money for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 04:06 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
What’s crazy is..... Ford was founded in 1903 while Tesla was founded in 2003, yet Tesla is worth 20 billion more!

Old 11-27-2019, 04:41 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
RIP Ford.
Good one. RIP ALL ICE vehicles. Adapt or become history, just ask Nokia, Blackberry etc.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:36 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Far too many journalists and posters do not understand physics.

All F150 - Cybertruck tug-of-war proved is that the Cybertruck weighs more than an F150. That's it: the test merely compares weight of the two vehicles. That's it. Both have plenty of torque - much more than adequate. The test doesn't measure torque or power or anything other than vehicle weight. The following video does a pretty good job explaining why.

https://youtu.be/jzKCJsou10w
Not a weight comparison - this test is a measure of the available traction (weight is a component) and torque that determines who would win. The Tesla Truck has better traction (larger tires and more advanced AWD) and torque (being an EV) even if the trucks weighed the same. The Tesla would easily win even if the Ford weighed more and was AWD which is why Ford declined a retest.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:35 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
RIP Ford.
Lol you really think that this and other EV pickups are going to dethrone Fords F series pickups than i want what you’re smokeing.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Point is we don't have millions of cars plugged in at night right now, you have excess capacity at night. As I said I don't know how much that capacity could accommodate but it's not an insignificant amount.

I never said we are going to get rid of them at least for a long time into the foreseeable future. Electric vehicles aren't going away either and will continue to take market share primarily in urban and suburban areas where the range limitations are not a concern.
I never said electric cars are going away. They just aren’t going to displace ICE vehicles completely in 5 years. Also not everyone can afford to buy a electric vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Far too many journalists and posters do not understand physics.

All F150 - Cybertruck tug-of-war proved is that the Cybertruck weighs more than an F150. That's it: the test merely compares weight of the two vehicles. That's it. Both have plenty of torque - much more than adequate. The test doesn't measure torque or power or anything other than vehicle weight. The following video does a pretty good job explaining why.

https://youtu.be/jzKCJsou10w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Not a weight comparison - this test is a measure of the available traction (weight is a component) and torque that determines who would win. The Tesla Truck has better traction (larger tires and more advanced AWD) and torque (being an EV) even if the trucks weighed the same. The Tesla would easily win even if the Ford weighed more and was AWD which is why Ford declined a retest.
The whole tug of war test is pointless for any type of real automotive test. And this test was even more pointless. The only people who are going to want that abortion are Tesla fanboys. Funny that someone said puck up trucks are the ultimate status purchase. Do you really think anyone buying that Tesla truck is anything other than a status purchase?

The starting price for the Tesla “Cybertruck” will be, per CNET, “$39,900… for the 250-mile range version that tows 7,500 pounds,” and “the mid-range Cybertruck” will cost $49,900. The top-range “tri-motor” goes for $69,900.
MY towing needs start at 10k. The cyber truck is nothing more than a 1/2 ton truck. I would take a Rivian before I put one dollar in Tesla’s pocket. Sorry but I don’t care for Tesla’s elitist and more importantly arrogant attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It’s interesting, because EVs to some extent pit electric utility companies and electrical generation companies against gas companies. Electrical utility companies are no saints, but they certainly wouldn’t mind having more money and probably don’t care if the money car owners save is less than the gas companies lose, because in the end it’s more money for them.
The grid as it stands today cannot supply enough power.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:09 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Lol you really think that this and other EV pickups are going to dethrone Fords F series pickups than i want what you’re smokeing.
That’s what flip-phone makers said at some point in history. Where are they now?

Old 11-27-2019, 09:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
That’s what flip-phone makers said at some point in history. Where are they now?
They’re making a comeback baby

https://www.motorola.com/us/products...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 11-27-2019, 09:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post

Undoubtedly weight is not the only factor, e.g a much larger vehicle on razor thin tires is not going to work very well. On the other hand if I took a 10K pound vehicle with same tires powered by a 5HP lawnmower engine with the appropriate gearing I win. This may be slowest vehicle ever made but that's not the point.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:27 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Good one. RIP ALL ICE vehicles. Adapt or become history, just ask Nokia, Blackberry etc.
"Only the paranoid survive." -- Andy Grove
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive