Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 08:11 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
*LOL* my sentiments exactly. Wearing sunglasses, waving your arms around wildly, screaming at the camera and calling people stupid doesn't make you an expert. It works for him though.
I can't stand more than a couple of seconds of the guy. I don't know if it's just a shtick or if he legitimately has something wrong with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I can't stand more than a couple of seconds of the guy. I don't know if it's just a shtick or if he legitimately has something wrong with him.
Look at his garage it’s full of junk and he’s always showing you on his old Toyota. We’re his real shop at if he’s a master mechanic we’re are all the cars he is working on, this guy is a internet mechanic he has no business of his own, and he looks and sounds like a drunk. At least my brothers shop had vehicles on hoist in his business and his toolbox was neat and organized, not like this guy.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Let it run for 30 seconds before taking it out of park. Then be easy on it for the first 5-10 minutes.

And Scotty Kilmer is a joke.

He told people to avoid a Lexus LS430 as a used purchase because of the engine! Lmao.... Toyota V8s don't die.

He said the 8's had more expensive repair issues than the sixes. Mixed reviews from his customers on the 8
s, while 6 cylinder owners were more positive.

So, he's just relaying his experience from working on these vehicles-hardly a joke.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:33 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I warm mine up enough that the window defroster will work. I like to be able to see the road while I am driving.

Keeping the car in a garage solves the ice-on-the-windshield problem, but yes, where the ice has to be scraped, I'm not driving until the ice is off and the defroster has taken care of condensation and fogging.

When it is 3 degrees outside, it's nice when the heater is warmed up enough to put out hot air.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Look at his garage it’s full of junk and he’s always showing you on his old Toyota. We’re his real shop at if he’s a master mechanic we’re are all the cars he is working on, this guy is a internet mechanic he has no business of his own, and he looks and sounds like a drunk. At least my brothers shop had vehicles on hoist in his business and his toolbox was neat and organized, not like this guy.
I think he’s retired

Old 12-02-2019, 10:34 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
He said the 8's had more expensive repair issues than the sixes. Mixed reviews from his customers on the 8

So, he's just relaying his experience from working on these vehicles-hardly a joke.
Exactly. He never said Toyota V8’s are bad engines, he simply said WHEN they do need repair, it’s more difficult and costly than the V6’s.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:12 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
He said that unless its super cold like -50 below, that in todays cars you shouldn't have to let the engine warm up because the Fuel Injectors take care of that when you turn it on.

Do you agree with Scotty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEaYKmxk_yc
Completely disagree. And if I'm wrong, I don't care. I will always warm an engine, it is just pure habit from years of race engines (boats and cars) , and other types of engine in ATV's and snowmobiles.

Was just watching the Baja 1000 last weekend and saw some teams that had the rear wheels jacked up with the truck running warming up the transmission and rear differential oils, along with the engine.

And who is this ******* anyways ? Never heard of him. Now if I heard it from Mike D'anniballe, Bob Teague, Steve Morris, or other engines builders of that level, then I might believe it.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:26 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:

Well duh.....it’s additional parts and machine work. And in his experience it’s Toyota is best especially the old crap. So be bought a old Toyota and it runs. Whooptie doo. My vehicles do the same thing his Toyota does and none are Toyota’s.

The guy sometimes makes some good points in his videos but overall he’s just regurgitating info that is commonly known for automotive types.
Hey you wanna jump in your car and hammer the gas with no warm up be my up guest. What exactly am I hurting by letting my car idle for a minute while I settle my coffee put on my seatbelt adjust the radio etc.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:20 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Exactly. He never said Toyota V8’s are bad engines, he simply said WHEN they do need repair, it’s more difficult and costly than the V6’s.
He said to avoid a Lexus LS430 as a used car purchase....

That's literally probably the most reliable car ever made. Designed during Lexus' heyday. It broke JD Power all time records. They're unbreakable.

The V8 that went into those is Toyota in the first place not to mention just the V8 had $500MM put into R&D.

You change oil and timing belt every 120k and a 430 will easily take you to 400k+.

Here's a video of an LS430 traded in at 370k to the same salesman who sold it just because the owner wanted an SUV-- there was nothing wrong with the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ0yufjC5Ys

Old 12-02-2019, 01:07 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Who said Scotty Kilmer is a well respected mechanic?
This.

That said he's pretty much right on this one. If it's -40, I'd let it warm up for 30 seconds. Otherwise get in and go and just take it easy for a few miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive