Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 03:25 PM

12,970 posts, read 13,709,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Now this Is way off the charts.
I'm not thinking of an adult but a 12-14 year old who gets taken out by their parent and seem to have no trouble at all driving in neighborhoods and in traffic.

Instead of dropping my kids off at places I would let them drive while I was in the car with them. I started them as young as possible . One of my kids drove like a pro the first time he ever got behind the wheel. He has that spatial intelligence. At 25 he already had 10 experience in his field and yes he found flying a plane just as easy the first time. Two of my kids have flown planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 03:50 PM

13,288 posts, read 8,488,520 times
Summer and fall time....our inner city streets turn into a chat gather club. People stop Midway thru a street and just get to jabbering. Traffic clogs and one of two things happen . Shots fired , or the car gets rammed . Neither are my choice of safety. So I will go blocks out my way to stay off the streets that create such circumstance.

Over in Europe when I drove on narrow roads with cliffs on one side....I honked so anyone coming the opposite way knew a car was on that road. Usually folks pulled near a brush area. If I pulled over it was a good 40 ft drop.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 PM

3,355 posts, read 1,245,056 times
Honestly unless you're a new driver (where you'll improve a lot) if this is giving you trouble you shouldn't be driving
How do you drive on the highway without side swiping people?

drive slow be careful but unless this is some place like boston it shouldn't be an issue

Last edited by djohnslaw; 06-29-2020 at 06:54 PM..

Old 06-29-2020, 06:54 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,445,884 times
Avoid these roads and streets if you get freaked out about driving on them.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,093,343 times
I never understood how 99% of drivers will proceed clear up to the marked front line when they're the first to arrive at a red light. Then when oncoming traffic in the turn.lane from the right, turns left toward them, they all come within a few inches of scraping the waiting drivers front end. Personally I like to hang back and leave a couple feet of clearance when I am first in line, it's just common sense, but apparently 99% of other drivers don't - -they seem to all have a death wish.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,093,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There really isn't a trick unless you have a wide car or on a more narrow residential street. The biggest problem I have is people parking on corners which has been the case the last month, month and a half due to a home getting work done. Allegedly it was without HOA approval. One day this past week, the home owner was taking his golf cart into his drive-way and had to go as slow as possible for a street legal golf cart...
Most states or jurisdictions forbid parking within a certain distance of corners, because it blocks the view of traffic.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,445,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Most states or jurisdictions forbid parking within a certain distance of corners, because it blocks the view of traffic.
Yea but never enforced like other useless traffic laws, i see vehicle parked on street corners all over were i live p, the police have better things to do besides being a parking attendant. The only time i see the police on side streets is if they were called to a domestic problem by someone. Gone are the days of Adam12 when the police crushed through the neighborhoods randomly looking for illegal parked cars.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:40 PM

3,355 posts, read 1,245,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yea but never enforced like other useless traffic laws, i see vehicle parked on street corners all over were i live p, the police have better things to do besides being a parking attendant. The only time i see the police on side streets is if they were called to a domestic problem by someone. Gone are the days of Adam12 when the police crushed through the neighborhoods randomly looking for illegal parked cars.
it's amazing how useless laws are enforced but ones that make sense aren't.

In NYC i've seen people getting alternate side parking tickets even after the street sweepers have swept. I've gotten tickets where I'm 14.5 feet from the hydrant (the law is 15 feet) where the lazy slob puts down 7 feet away on ticket, the but then the same ticket person will ignore an ice cream truck double parked with half of the truck sticking out around the corner making a complete safety hazard for anyone making a right turn from the corner he's sticking out out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive