Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:27 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Who wouldn't?

The people who toddle along in the left lane of an interstate at 47mph, eating a Big Mac while whining into the phone about those damn speeders passing them on the right, among others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Unfortunately, Jimhcom . . . although California may be high on the list, this scenario is being repeated all around the country.

! ! ! !
That's a very true statement Bummer.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:21 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
On a stretch of highway 101 that uses the city streets of Eureka is patrolled by both the Eureka police and the highway patrol. The speed limit varies depending on the part of town it goes through. Through the old town section it is divided between two streets, one goes south and one north. Not quite a year ago, a man was hit and killed crossing the street in a crosswalk. Two lanes of traffic were stopped and a man went around the two lanes and hit the man. the man was thrown over 100 feet and when his body hit an aluminum light pole, the pole broke. The estimated speed of the vehicle was in excess of 50 mph in a 30 zone. The pedestrian was killed on impact. The driver got off with probation. Our community is livid about this, the driver should have got manslaughter charges, not a slap on the wrist.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The Dragonslayer: I would have tried for negligent homicide, which is a felony, not a misdemeanor.

BTW - what have you got against Dragons? They are the best charcoal lighters of all time. They also bring their own steaks.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:21 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't think speed by itself is dangerous. I'd much rather be on the road with attentive drivers in well maintained vehicles going 10-15 over the limit than with cell-phone yakking, make-up applying, shaving, newspaper reading, lunch-eating drivers in poorly maintained vehicles doing the limit.
I agree 100%, Burdell . . . those goons frequently cause accidents in which they are not even involved.

by the way, you forgot "sending and receiving text messages" in your list.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
IMHO, both good and bad drivers are everywhere in the world. I was almost catapulted through the windshield from the front seat of our tour bus in Paris several times as our driver slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting a 2CV or Citroen that cut him off. I've also seen Belgian (s-plural) drive the wrong way down an on-ramp of a highway.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM

24,473 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Wouldn't it be great if all drivers would just pay attention and obey they driving laws?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Wouldn't it be great if all drivers would just pay attention and obey they driving laws?
Yes! But then what would people have to complain about when they get caught by the 'sneaky, grouchy, mean-spirited cop'?. Some people have an absolutely horrendous driving record- think that it's funny if they "get over" on an officer - and brag about their lack of driving skills. Bragging about being incompetent and out-of-control - I've read that several times on this forum... I like driving, and I like driving high-performance cars. I love driving fast. Love it. But I'm also responsible enough to take it to a controlled speedway, and not endanger other people.

BTW, I'm probably the only person in the world who got a ticket on a Cali freeway! I was speeding (not by much, honestly!). So what if I got a ticket, I deserved it. I knew what I was doing. Whether the officer was in a bad mood or not, or "was picking on me because I had out-of-state plates", just doesn't matter. I stepped over the line and got caught. People should just grow up!

Well, I'm dreaming again - wait a minute! Is this off-topic???? ...

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I don't know about other places but here in California it seems as if the CHP is no longer enforcing traffic laws the way they did say 20 years ago. We recently had a CHP officer give a talk on safety at work and he admitted when he was using his radar on the freeway he almost never ticketed anyone doing less than 75mph. Truck drivers now drive in the #2 and #3 lanes and routenly do 65-70mph. There are multitudes of pickups and SUV's that have lift kits that jack the bumpers far beyond the legal 31" level, making them lethal to regular height cars in the case of collision. Almost every day I see some moron doing 85+ and weaving thru traffic, usualy with a cell phone glued to their ear. Road rage is everywhere. It just seems alot more dangerous than it used to be. What your opinion?
They sure are active when I drive up the interstate 5 or highway 101. Try going through santa clara and san luis obispo at over 75mph.

Technology has improved dramatically over the past 10 years alone. Active suspension, stability control, anti lock breaks etc. Higher speed limits should be an option.

If you want to make roadways safer, consider banning cell phones, SUV's floating on the edge of their lane and over the white line, and slower traffic. They are much more of a danger than speeding. Id also like to see the driver age lifted to 18. Kids are too video gamed out these days.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
If you want to make roadways safer, consider banning cell phones, SUV's floating on the edge of their lane and over the white line, and slower traffic. They are much more of a danger than speeding. Id also like to see the driver age lifted to 18. Kids are too video gamed out these days.
Thank you, Greggd.

I am always amazed at the number of activities in process when I look into other vehicles on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive