Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Honda CRV AWD Hybrid or Toyota RAV4 AWD Hybrid?
Honda CRV AWD Hybrid 6 40.00%
Toyota RAV4 AWD Hybrid 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 02:42 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times

Advertisements

Guess it’s all what you get use to.

Hope to hear some opinions from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
[Snip.] I've owned three RAV4s and two Toyota hybrids, (RX-400H and Highlander). All have been perfect. Honda just doesn't do it for me. No reason to switch.

Well...I did really like my '63 CA77 Honda Dream. That was a pretty awesome bike that I used throughout my Navy career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 05:02 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
This poll is interesting

Old 07-16-2020, 06:28 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
There are two problems that have cropped up with Hondas in recent years. When they switched to the 1.5 liter engine, they had to turbocharge it, and the engine has had serious problems getting hot enough to properly break in the piston rings. They're well known to have motor oil get past the rings into the crankcase--thus "making oil."

The last two Civics I had were the SI versions, and they simply ate tires. The rear swing arm geometry are set for handling, and the rear tires do not sit flat on the ground. I even went as far as to put aftermarket adjustable top swing arms, and they still didn't get any mileage. And 245-45-17 ultra high performance tires are not cheap. I understand even Accords can eat tires prematuely.

We're now running a 2018 Camry Hybrid and just love how smooth and quiet the powerplant and drivetrain is. We just turned over 60K miles, and it's never seen the shop. And it cost me $5K less than the average priced U.S. sedan sold today--$26K. We're getting 49 mpg average @ 75 mph on the interstate travel and just over 46 mpg in city driving.

Toyota has had the hybrid market sewed up, and have made over 1.5 million of them. That includes NYC taxi's which go thru torturous condition--and they hold up well.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:27 PM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Honda and Toyota both make reliable, well engineered vehicles. I generally prefer Hondas - they typically have better driving dynamics (even if they may not ride as smooth), and it's more fun to drive and makes me more confident when the car handles well.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:34 PM

Agree, and Honda has better Hybrid AWD vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Honda and Toyota both make reliable, well engineered vehicles. I generally prefer Hondas - they typically have better driving dynamics (even if they may not ride as smooth), and it's more fun to drive and makes me more confident when the car handles well.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:14 AM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
I'd go RAV4. Prime remains on the short list for the Prius replacement. Nothing wrong with the Prius, just would like a bit larger vehicle. Getting old sucks. I used to think my s2000 had enough space to daily and now I'm looking at CUV eggs lustful for the cargo space.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:45 AM

RAV4 AWD Hybrid?

Why when the driving and AWD is superior on the CRV and it cost less and better resale value than the RAV4?

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...e-value-awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd go RAV4. Prime remains on the short list for the Prius replacement. Nothing wrong with the Prius, just would like a bit larger vehicle. Getting old sucks. I used to think my s2000 had enough space to daily and now I'm looking at CUV eggs lustful for the cargo space.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:41 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
RAV4 AWD Hybrid?

Why when the driving and AWD is superior on the CRV and it cost less and better resale value than the RAV4?

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...e-value-awards
Why not? 40 mile electric range on the RAV4, much faster, proven track record of reliability with Toyota hybrids versus more the opposite with Honda hybrids.

Price is about the same. CR-V hybrid EX MSRP of $31,500; RAV4 Prime SE $41,000 since you have to get the Moonroof and heated seat, steering wheel, et cetera which is stuff I wouldn't pay for but at least for now is required. Less the $7,500 tax credit $33,500. CA tax credit may bring that down to $32,500 but that might not be renewed. Discounts on the CR-V hybrid and markups, at least initially, on the RAV4 Prime will likely make that larger than a $2,000 price difference.

Fun factor and capability are not much of a factor for me or I wouldn't be looking at either. There will be a certain amount of fun in that the RAV4 Prime is a quick vehicle, but it's not going to be a fun vehicle to drive. The extra couple inches of ground clearance would be nice occasionally. There's a few dirt roads that just weren't in good enough shape for normal car ground clearance I haven't made it up in the Prius but that's rare. The Prius handles your normal dirt and gravel roads fine, just not rougher ones. That and the pedal dance to turn the traction control off is mildly annoying.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:48 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Why not? 40 mile electric range on the RAV4, much faster, proven track record of reliability with Toyota hybrids versus more the opposite with Honda hybrids.

Price is about the same. CR-V hybrid EX MSRP of $31,500; RAV4 Prime SE $41,000 since you have to get the Moonroof and heated seat, steering wheel, et cetera which is stuff I wouldn't pay for but at least for now is required. Less the $7,500 tax credit $33,500. CA tax credit may bring that down to $32,500 but that might not be renewed. Discounts on the CR-V hybrid and markups, at least initially, on the RAV4 Prime will likely make that larger than a $2,000 price difference.

Fun factor and capability are not much of a factor for me or I wouldn't be looking at either. There will be a certain amount of fun in that the RAV4 Prime is a quick vehicle, but it's not going to be a fun vehicle to drive. The extra couple inches of ground clearance would be nice occasionally. There's a few dirt roads that just weren't in good enough shape for normal car ground clearance I haven't made it up in the Prius but that's rare. The Prius handles your normal dirt and gravel roads fine, just not rougher ones. That and the pedal dance to turn the traction control off is mildly annoying.
looks like you're in the majority.

https://www.kbb.com/best-cars/best-hybrid-suvs/

#1 for a reason.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:43 PM

Everyone else with a CRV is too.

https://www.kbb.com/honda/cr-v-hybrid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive