Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 03:30 PM

351 posts, read 321,443 times

Advertisements

Long story short: we shipped one of our cars to Arizona in January 2020 to begin house-hunting. We flew out 3 times and used the car to look at homes for sale. Then Covid hit.

Car has been in an airport parking lot since March 1, 2020.

We finished our 2nd vaccine dose two weeks ago and are flying out next week.

While we're pretty certain it won't start, what other issues do you think we might have? Should we attempt to drive it off the lot (assuming we get it started after a jump or delivery of new battery)?

It's a low mileage 2015 Honda CRV (18K miles). It was full of gas and serviced at Honda dealer in late December 2019, prior to shipping. The battery was under a year old; we always did all our regular dealer maintenance.

Should we expect this to be a total loss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 03:34 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Quick jump startt should do the trick. I would have the oil changed and check the belts, also tires for dry rot. all fluid levels up to par and drive it. Take it easy for a few days, but shouldn't be a problem. Just curious, what is the parking charge gonna be for that? That should be like crazy.... but good luck.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:37 PM

6 bucks a day, so about $2,200. I try to look at as a monthly bill.....$180 a month for secure parking doesn't sound so bad.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:49 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Don't they have that, Lost my parking ticket option, so they just charge the base? Also, are you positive your car is still there? Some places, especially airports will have them towed after a certain periodd of time. Unless you've been in contact with them to let them know the car is not abandoned.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:55 PM

9,888 posts, read 7,226,954 times
Jump start it and get the oil change soon. The tires will have flat spots and with driving might even out. If not, you'll be replacing tires as well.

$6/day per parking - that's cheap. In the long terms lots in Boston, it's something like $170/week.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Don't they have that, Lost my parking ticket option, so they just charge the base? Also, are you positive your car is still there? Some places, especially airports will have them towed after a certain periodd of time. Unless you've been in contact with them to let them know the car is not abandoned.
We called them 2 weeks ago and while they didn't go look for it, they said because lot has been at 20-30% capacity they haven't towed any. Said they contact DMV to find owner before they tow, anyway.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:40 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
Depending on amount of gas in tank,
if low, fill up soon to mix fresh gas with old
if full, consider having it drained/siphoned, and fill with fresh.

Also, if jump starting, when you first get there, see if any lights (dome etc) work. If not, battery may be to dead to jump.

If some light, try a jump, but don't try to start car right away. Give it a couple minutes for battery to get charged up. Else car may stall when disconnecting cables because battery is not charged enough yet.

Good Luck........

BTW, check to see if any rodents have made a home under hood or in air filter housing , or worse, chewed any wiring

Old 03-07-2021, 05:52 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,856,324 times
You should be alright, but the battery will be dead. As stated, your car might drive a bit hopity for a bit because the tires will probably have flat spots (similar to the older biased ply). Just take it easy a bit.

I did a lot of traveling in the past and my truck would be left from 6 months to a year or so sometimes as I was crewing on boats out of the country. The only issues I had, other then the battery, was one spring, upon returning, my truck was acting pretty rough and was barely drivable. Stupid critters decided they liked the taste of electrical wires. Danged rodent cost me 500 bucks because since I couldn't find the issue I took it to shop and they had to spend some time looking before they found the chewed wire!

Old 03-07-2021, 05:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,704,357 times
Looking forward to how you make out...

Some seasonal equipment batteries are kept up with solar chargers that actually work.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:40 PM

9,175 posts, read 6,208,590 times
Due to the extreme heat and dryness in AZ, check the belts before you start the engine. Some of the rubber or other materials may have rotted and fallen into the engine. It's best to have these fresh when you start the engine so they don't snap under the pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive