Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 03:52 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times

Advertisements

How much do those chargers cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 04:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Where are you at? I'll bet I can find them.
They need to focus on putting the DC chargers at interstate exits at places like truck stops and fast food joints. Nobody traveling wants to stop in a strange town and drive 5 miles off the interstate to find a charger.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:48 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Where are you at? I'll bet I can find them.
There a very few around but i would i never use them. I only drive 50 miles a week so around 10 hours of charging per week at home is all i need.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:37 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They need to focus on putting the DC chargers at interstate exits at places like truck stops and fast food joints. Nobody traveling wants to stop in a strange town and drive 5 miles off the interstate to find a charger.
Quite true. EV chargers will have to be conveniently placed for travel in EVs to become popular/practical.

Rich

Old 04-25-2021, 08:38 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
About 9 years ago there was quite a hub-bub about Lit Motors Will with Its 2-wheeled, untippable C-1 that superfically looks like a motorcycle. But they were covered protecting the driver from the elements and the wind, and they had a gyroscope for safety. They could withstand a typical urban accident without tipping over.

Of course, today the possibility of an accident is greatly reduced because of all the driver aids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ha@thepeterha September 10, 2012
The initial price will be $24,000 when the C-1 is expected to launch in 2014 and will take a year or two to drop down to $16,000. As it scales to being mass market (~100,000) around 2018, the price of the C-1 will drop down to $12,500. It is not only expected to top out at over 100 MPH but has an estimated range of up to 200 miles per charge and will go from 0-60 in roughly six seconds.
With Calfornia requiring Zero Emission Vehicles by 2035, it seems like such a vehicle is more important than ever so that consumers can have a low cost alternative. It is unlikely that many customers would pay $24K in 2010 for such a limited capabilities of such a vehicle.

Lit Motors has been sued twice by four early investors, resulting in approximately $300,000 in legal judgments against Lit Motors and an arrest order against Daniel K. Kim who founded the company in 2010 for failure to appear at court hearings related to these lawsuits. On January 7, 2020, a San Francisco court granted a motion assigning Lit Motor's US patents to the plaintiffs in this lawsuit and restraining Lit Motors from selling its patents. Later in January a settlement was reached and paid. The patents were reassigned back to Lit.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:04 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Florida? You're in Florida. I'm in Canada and while their are a lot of electric cars around owned by retirees and the city (grant program), it's WINTER and cold weather that's the barrier. Your mileage drops from 370 klms. to less than 130 in winter, which wouldn't get me to the NEXT TOWN, even though we have huge numbers of charging stations. One is half way to that town, but BLOCKED in winter as it's in a highway rest area closed for winter. I'm registering for the electric car in town as no one uses it!!!

Old 04-25-2021, 11:09 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Florida? You're in Florida. I'm in Canada and while their are a lot of electric cars around owned by retirees and the city (grant program), it's WINTER and cold weather that's the barrier. Your mileage drops from 370 klms. to less than 130 in winter, which wouldn't get me to the NEXT TOWN, even though we have huge numbers of charging stations. One is half way to that town, but BLOCKED in winter as it's in a highway rest area closed for winter. I'm registering for the electric car in town as no one uses it!!!
I'd be curious as to the make and model of this EV as that's a pretty severe drop-off for a listed location that's not generally too bad for EVs. When you say you're registering for it does that mean your town has some system where you can rent it from the town?

And yea, the OP's in Florida. British Colombia has about a quarter the population of Florida, so shifting Florida to greater EV usage is going to be a lot more meaningful than shifting British Columbia, so thank goodness they're more functional in Florida than in British Columbia, though supposedly EVs are a great fit for the climate of Vancouver Island and the Metropolitan Vancouver area where the majority of BC's population is.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-25-2021 at 11:22 AM..

Old 04-25-2021, 01:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd be curious as to the make and model of this EV as that's a pretty severe drop-off for a listed location that's not generally too bad for EVs. When you say you're registering for it does that mean your town has some system where you can rent it from the town?

And yea, the OP's in Florida. British Colombia has about a quarter the population of Florida, so shifting Florida to greater EV usage is going to be a lot more meaningful than shifting British Columbia, so thank goodness they're more functional in Florida than in British Columbia, though supposedly EVs are a great fit for the climate of Vancouver Island and the Metropolitan Vancouver area where the majority of BC's population is.

They are, and my next vehicle will be an EV. Just going to wait it out a couple more years as infrastructure and EV's improve even more.

Friends have a Telsa, and love it. They have taken it across BC, but would not do that trip in winter, best to stick close to the Lower Mainland.

They also were able to get an EV charger in their parking spot in their condo. Took 3 years of fighting, etc, but they are happy that the hydro bill goes directly to them, no sharing. It locks when they are away.

My building, is considering putting in EV stations in our parkade, to share...we will see how that goes.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Okay someone who lives just up the road from me has a brand new grey Mach-e. I took a close look and it has a dealer tag from the Ford dealer here in my small town. This surprises me because I know they certainly don't have any techs trained to do anything with them. Ford must be doing things differently than GM, because only EV certified dealers are allowed to sell new Bolts.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The best way to find chargers is to look for motels, even if they don't have one they have various spots that allows for a plug. Carrying 50' 12 guage extension cord so you can charge at level 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive