Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 06:17 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times

Advertisements

Can’t blame shoddy work on UAW assembly Lin workers anymore.

https://youtu.be/Wdp8Q6Q_gsg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 06:37 PM

12,479 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Very impressive machinery. I hear you though - probably use half the production line workers (or less) that they used to.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Very impressive machinery. I hear you though - probably use half the production line workers (or less) that they used to.
Yep they do i worked at their Warren Truck Assembly plant and it was way more labor intensive back then, no robot welders back then. When the body was attached to the frame and motor and rear end a crane dropped the body on and a crew in a pit bolted it down.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:07 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
The robots are impressive and they handle many of the more dangerous and critical work.

Just as impressive are the advances in the way vehicles are designed and the tools created to make it safer for people working on the line. Parts are created so that they can only be assembled and installed only one way - it can't be assembled or installed wrong. Tools are ergonomic and designed to eliminate errors. Notice the worker sitting in a reclining chair inserting himself into the interior to attach screws above his head. That chair moves along with the assembly line and goes back to the next vehicle when he exits the current one. The tire installer had to lift the tire less than 3" in order to put it on the car while he stayed standing - no back stress.

Lastly, was the cleanliness of the plant(s) shown impressive? It wasn't like that until the early 90's.

Old 08-03-2021, 02:26 PM

12,479 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The robots are impressive and they handle many of the more dangerous and critical work.

Just as impressive are the advances in the way vehicles are designed and the tools created to make it safer for people working on the line. Parts are created so that they can only be assembled and installed only one way - it can't be assembled or installed wrong. Tools are ergonomic and designed to eliminate errors. Notice the worker sitting in a reclining chair inserting himself into the interior to attach screws above his head. That chair moves along with the assembly line and goes back to the next vehicle when he exits the current one. The tire installer had to lift the tire less than 3" in order to put it on the car while he stayed standing - no back stress.

Lastly, was the cleanliness of the plant(s) shown impressive? It wasn't like that until the early 90's.
I did notice that when the dash was put in and the door was hung, the weight of the part was carried by a mechanical lift while it was attached, and a lot of the hand assembly looked fairly easy the way parts snapped together. Designing the car's parts for ease of either hand or machine assembly adds a whole new layer of requirements for design engineers.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:52 PM

8,344 posts, read 6,438,626 times
I replaced the door on my Honda. it must weigh 100 lbs.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I did notice that when the dash was put in and the door was hung, the weight of the part was carried by a mechanical lift while it was attached, and a lot of the hand assembly looked fairly easy the way parts snapped together. Designing the car's parts for ease of either hand or machine assembly adds a whole new layer of requirements for design engineers.
Yea but they have the latest engineering design software that’s programmed in house by their own computer programmers. I live buy the Stellantis/ FCA HQ we’re all designs and engineering takes place and it’s a big building.

The 950,000-square-foot structure contains 106,700 square feet of granite-faced precast concrete panels, 192,800 square feet of exterior curtain wall and windows, 57,150 square feet of skylights, 10 escalators and 11 elevators.

And GM tech center is 710-acre
The "Tech Center" is a 710-acre campus located in Warren, Michigan. The center includes 38 buildings and can house over 21,000 employees located in Warren Michigan.

GM HQ located in downtown Detroit is 5.5-million-square-foot building includes 29 restaurants; the Marriott Hotel, which has 1,300 rooms; the 44,000-square-foot GM World with new vehicle displays, and it is Detroit's tallest building at 73 stories high.

And Fords HQ is 950,000 sq ft the engineering department is in a separate building.

Last edited by easy62; 08-03-2021 at 08:10 PM..

Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
I busted butt at Ford's Wayne Assembly plant in the '70s, for four years.

About three years back my wife and I did a Rouge Plant tour. NO COMPARISON. Back then we worked. It regularly got to 100 degrees in the summer.
Now they walk around in a leisurely fashion, robots and lifts do all the work. Other than the guy pounding the dashboard in.

They're not assembly line "workers" any more. More like assembly line strollers. I know what work is, and that ain't work.

Old 08-04-2021, 03:01 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
From a 2018 article.

"Workers replacing robots
When robots get fired, it happens without much ado. They are not called into the office and offered severance pay. They probably don´t need that, either. Still, I feel a little bit sorry for them. Toyota has just fired some robots, calling back the workers that had been replaced by them.

Wait a moment…“Workers replacing robots?” Is this a correct summary for what is happening here? Yes, it is. No mistake, it is not the other way round. This is exactly what is currently going on at Toyota in Japan."

LINK

Old 08-04-2021, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I busted butt at Ford's Wayne Assembly plant in the '70s, for four years.

About three years back my wife and I did a Rouge Plant tour. NO COMPARISON. Back then we worked. It regularly got to 100 degrees in the summer.
Now they walk around in a leisurely fashion, robots and lifts do all the work. Other than the guy pounding the dashboard in.

They're not assembly line "workers" any more. More like assembly line strollers. I know what work is, and that ain't work.
Yep when i worked at Chrysler Warren Truck Assembly in the late 70’s it was also over 100 degrees in the summertime at certain times of the years. And what your on a manual spot welder or your work station is by the oven we’re the paint is baked on it’s hot all year long. Now like you say it’s all robots and machines to help what line workers. No physical labor like we had to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive