Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 08:48 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,789,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Exactly.

Take the Ford 3.5/3.7L. Ford has this engine in both transverse mount and longitudinal mount. With the longitudinal mount, the water pump is external like most every other car. However, when Ford made the engine transverse mount in some of their cars, they ran into packaging issues fitting the engine between the shock towers. As a result, they redesigned the water pump to fit it inside the timing cover and timing chain driven.

Now the engine fit, and they could sell you a 365HP Twin Turbo Ford Explorer.

Except now, when the water pump fails around 125K miles, it leaks coolant inside the engine and wipes the bearings. You could proactively change the water pump, but that requires MAJOR engine surgery to get to it involving removing the timing chains. Not a fun time to DIY, nor a cheap job to have a dealer perform it for you
We were interested in the Flex. A local dealer has several low-mileage 2019’s on their lot.
Can’t get too excited about buying one because of that water pump issue.

I do a lot of my own work because I have the tools and know-how and it saves us a bit of money.
Wouldn’t say I enjoy it really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 09:02 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,386,632 times
I would enjoy doing my own work except it always seems to be required when it's either 110 in the shade, 39 degrees and windy, or pouring rain.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:13 AM

6,519 posts, read 3,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I would enjoy doing my own work except it always seems to be required when it's either 110 in the shade, 39 degrees and windy, or pouring rain.
I know what you mean!!!

Out of nowhere, my Corvette started displaying trouble codes. These codes are pointing toward a potential electrical issue. Yes, it's a 20 year old car, but it's garage kept, never been driven in the winter, and has a little under 30,000 miles.

The temps in my area are presently in the mid-90s, with the "heat index", you know, that number designed to make you feel even hotter, in the upper 90s. I just don't feel like working on the car, at this point! At least the car IS in the shade (the garage), and rain wouldn't stop me, but it's so hot, and I'm not getting any younger!!

Also, something for we DIYers, is that we tend to work on older vehicles, but nonetheless, "electronics laden" vehicles. Any as time passes, these electronic components are becoming obsoleted, and no longer available. Little by little, we're finding ourselves as owners of what could become "garage art"..............

Old 07-28-2021, 04:54 AM

1 posts, read 389 times
It takes too much time. I had tried to restoration by midnight. but not a properly fixed. Then I gone auto repair shop for complete work.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:33 AM

10,945 posts, read 4,634,055 times
enjoy is a harsh word....I have my own garage and lift and air and things like that so I do it. Id RATHER someone else did it, but with tire rotations running $50 at the dealer, I do it. Once the free maint holiday runs out at the dealer I pick up the slack. fortunately, todays cars got 10K on a change or more if the OLM sez so, so its not often.

the one thing I stick on is brakes. $800-$1200 for a brake job is rape. I use parts better than what dealers sell (powerstop z36 for example) and that would push the cost to around 2 grand if I used a dealer...

Old 07-28-2021, 01:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,797,568 times
Until a few years ago I used to take my car to the dealership to get it serviced. Than I had an issue where the car wouldn't not start, but if you kept trying to start it, it would eventually would start. I took it to the dealership to get it fixed, and $200 later, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It was ok for about 2 months then the same issue again. Out of necessity, I did research on the internet and found a resolution. It was the inhibitor switch, this switch prevents you from starting the car when it's in drive or reverse. I replace the switch for $40, other then yearly reinspection, I do all the service myself since, oil, breaks, rotors, caliper, bulbs, I do it all. I don't necessarily enjoy it, but it save a ton of money and get a sense of accomplishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Simple question: Would you rather pay a shop rate of about $150 per hour or pay yourself that much (tax free) to do it yourself?
I rather do it myself now, but you have to admit some of the required equipment can get pricey. Was watching a car repair video and the mechanic used a code scanning tool to reset the codes in a car's computer, it cost like 3 grand for the unit. You can get cheaper code scanners for around $200, but they can't do the same level of functions as a more expensive unit. I do what work I CAN do, but does it really justify spending thousands on equipment to save yourself a few hundred dollars having a shop do the repair?

Last edited by TechGromit; 07-28-2021 at 01:32 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 01:31 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,242,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As much as I can afford to have other people do it. I enjoy doing my own car work. When I change my own fluids, oils, brake pads, and even flush the coolant and bleeding the brakes. When I've done them often it's like cleaning the house. I get a sense of joy out of driving the car knowing that it drives perfect with the right oil and fluids inside.

I just completed a difficult oil filter housing change on my BMW, it was tight but got it done and the car's engine code went away. Probably a $1500+ job at the dealer and the parts cost only $100.

Another job I've done with changing the alternator which is like an $1200 job since mechanics charge you $600 for a no name brand part and another $600 to change it. Some cars it's an easy job but other cars it can be a difficult tight job to get the water pump and belt changed at the same time. They can easily charge you $2000 for the entire job just doing one area.
Well I'm a professional mechanic so I do my own car work if it's something I have the capacity to do. Engine rebuilds or transmission replace things like that I don't have the equipment for so in all reality if I had a car in that condition it would just go to the junkyard. But I used to do automatic transmission rebuilds. That's actually how I got started in the freelance. I would go to the junkyard and buy bad automatic transmissions you can get them for $150 depending on what they were I'd buy a rebuild kit for $75 and sell a rebuilt transmission for a 600.

But yes I do my own oil changes in my own alternator AC repair that kind of thing.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:14 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,351,093 times
I've got all the tools to do everything but machining an engine block and sewing upholstery. Rebuilt many cars from the ground up including heavy rust repair, rebuilding engines and transmissions and doing engine swaps between manufacturers, building kit cars, etc. I did custom paint and bodywork for years. But you know what? Even though I have the tools, from compressor to engine hoist to welders and plasma cutters, I'm over it, especially for daily drivers that need to be ready at a moment's notice. These days I'd rather checkbook bigger stuff or have a car with a warranty.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:15 PM

313 posts, read 210,368 times
I do as much as I can on my own. I'm very big on preventive maintenance. My 2020 NX calls for 10k between oil changes - I'm doing it at 5k. A little contradiction if you ask me. On the one hand, they say "The lubricants are better, the engines are better, you can go 10k", yet on the other hand I hear that TURBO engines are 'tougher' on oil. So why would I want to wait until 10k. Changing the oil/filter on this vehicle is the easiest of ANY car I've ever owned. I don't even have to jack up the car. Just reach under, grab the plug, grab the filter canister - EASY !

Aside from what was mentioned by other posters - saving some $$$$, ensuring it was done RIGHT, saving time (no trip to the shop, no waiting), ensuring you're using the right/quality parts, the enjoyment of DIY, the other thing I like about doing it myself - if I screw up, I have NO ONE TO BLAME EXCEPT MYSELF!!!

When you go for something as simple as an oil change, and you even go to the DEALER, how do you REALLY know what fluid he put in your engine? How do you REALLY know it was OEM or even synthetic? You don't. When I put the oil into my engine, I am pretty confident that those containers (MOBIL-1) are truly synthetic MOBIL-1 !

Old 07-28-2021, 08:13 PM

8,376 posts, read 6,476,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I've got all the tools to do everything but machining an engine block and sewing upholstery. Rebuilt many cars from the ground up including heavy rust repair, rebuilding engines and transmissions and doing engine swaps between manufacturers, building kit cars, etc. I did custom paint and bodywork for years. But you know what? Even though I have the tools, from compressor to engine hoist to welders and plasma cutters, I'm over it, especially for daily drivers that need to be ready at a moment's notice. These days I'd rather checkbook bigger stuff or have a car with a warranty.
I'm kind of the same way but got old enough that it became too much work. how old were you when you started paying others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive