Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 05:48 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
At least SOME of us still have common sense.

This is some kind of alternate reality
Lol if ice vehicles were to be banned then someone forgot to tell the auto makers because they are still producing ice vehicles along with their EV’s. I think if ice vehicles were to be banned in a couple years than the automakers would not still be making them. Lol people think that ice vehicles are going to disappear in the near future. These people better think of how your going to make a EV vehicle without useing petroleum products or fossil fuel power assembly plants. If you think plastic or vinyl, the planet will never be free of petroleum fossil fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 06:06 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
... so the EV trend is probably reducing sales.
There is no indication that demand dropped this much. It seems to be all supply side issues.

The California Ban is not even a law, it is more like a goal and it is not suposed to happen until 2035. Besides that is a ban on new vehicle sales, not on vehicles that are already owned. At least 40 states have not even discussed a goal, let alone a ban.

So I disagree that EVs are a factor at this stage.

=======================================
I think Ford is going to be worse than GM. I'm kind of wondering where the Apple Car that has been rumored for many years is going to appear.

The Hyundai-Kia-Genesis company seems unaffected this quarter. Do they have a better microchip contract?

Old 10-04-2021, 07:21 AM

200 posts, read 173,937 times
when is this chip shortage estimated to end? I would love to buy a new truck but I refuse to pay what dealers are asking, and will NEVER pay over MSRP. I generally buy newer used because of the price break but those are also out of control.

Unless I TRULY NEED to replace an auto, I wont.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:57 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Who wants to buy an ICE car which could be banned a few years down the road? The choice is keep an old car, buy an ICE car not knowing if you will be allowed to drive it and get little resale value, or buy an EV and get only 40 miles on a charge? Keep my old car is my choice and I'm sure many will do the same, chip or no chip, so the EV trend is probably reducing sales.
Are you joking? MILLIONS of people are willing to buy ICE vehicles.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:54 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
It's difficult to believe sales could be this bad when compared to 3rd qtr 2020 at the height of lockdown.

Percent relative to 3rd qtr 2020, and number sold in US 3rd qtr 2021.
-63.6% Fiat 401
-51.4% Chrysler 15,502
-38.6% Infiniti 10,666
-36.5% Chevrolet 284,045
-31.8% Dodge 49,059
-31.7% Cadillac 22,519
-28.9% Mini 6,445
-26.7% GMC 97,254
-20.1% Buick 39,299
-17.0% Ram 144,740
-16.5% Subaru 141,552
-11.9% Honda 307,359
-11.0% Jeep 196,686
-10.4% Alfa Romeo 4,529
-8.2% Volkswagen 79,321
-7.6% Nissan 188,289
-4.3% Mitsubishi 23,799
-2.8% Acura 38,555
-1.7% Porsche 15,289
0.4% Toyota 484,912
4.2% Volvo 31,611
4.5% Hyundai 178,500
7.3% Kia 177,014
7.7% Lexus 81,093
8.7% BMW 75,619
9.1% Mazda 84,046
55.3% Tesla 84,000
301.1% Genesis 15,022
TBA Audi TBA
TBA Ford TBA
TBA Jaguar TBA
TBA Land Rover TBA
TBA Lincoln TBA
TBA Mercedes-Benz TBA
Thanks for posting this. This is consistent somewhat with the prices I've been seeing. Toyotas are priced better than Honda.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:10 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
when is this chip shortage estimated to end? I would love to buy a new truck but I refuse to pay what dealers are asking, and will NEVER pay over MSRP. I generally buy newer used because of the price break but those are also out of control.

The issue is that if you drive cars into the ground, then you reach the point where you TRULY NEED to replace it at inconvenient times, such as this one. Unless you can work on cars, in which case, it's a different situation, as it has always been.

My feeling is that the situation before the pandemic with new cars is that you could get out the door for sticker pretty easily and if you were willing to invest some serious time perhaps a couple to a few thousand under sticker (for a 25K range price car). That was my experience.

Now, you'll be lucky or have to do work to get sticker before taxes and fees.

From everything that I've heard and read, and dealers that I've talked to, the stock should improve by middle of next year. However, what that means is that likely dealers will just lower their markups.

The ones charging markups now will lower them to compete with ones who are not. However, it will still be sticker before taxes and fees.

I think at some point within the next 2-3 years it will get back to the point where you can get OTD for sticker.

But I think the days of getting OTD for significantly under sticker are gone for the forseeable future.

Used cars, I'm not sure.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:40 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The issue is that if you drive cars into the ground, then you reach the point where you TRULY NEED to replace it at inconvenient times, such as this one. Unless you can work on cars, in which case, it's a different situation, as it has always been.

My feeling is that the situation before the pandemic with new cars is that you could get out the door for sticker pretty easily and if you were willing to invest some serious time perhaps a couple to a few thousand under sticker (for a 25K range price car). That was my experience.

From everything that I've heard and read, and dealers that I've talked to, the stock should improve by middle of next year. However, what that means is that likely dealers will just lower their markups.

The ones charging markups now will lower them to compete with ones who are not. However, it will still be sticker before taxes and fees.

I think at some point within the next 2-3 years it will get back to the point where you can get OTD for sticker.

But I think the days of getting OTD for significantly under sticker are gone for the forseeable future.

Used cars, I'm not sure.

For used cars, if you remember cash for clunkers, killed the cheap car market. As an owner of a dealership, I was forced to pay more for a used vehicle at the auction. That in turn raised the prices of used cars as a whole. Those cheaper prices never came back. I don’t think they will at this point either. I’ve been out of the business awhile now, but I don’t remember a time when I could get more for a vehicle after owning it for 3 years than now. I paid $14,700 otd for a 2016 Ford transit connect with 53k almost 3 years ago. I know I stole it then but it was on a vw lot. Today, I’ve been offered $17,055 from Carvana.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post

Last winter they said it would ease sometime in the summer of 2021. Now they say end of 2022. What will they say this time next year?

I'm looking at new trucks and many are $500-1000 above MSRP. If you can get MSRP right now you are lucky.

Old 10-04-2021, 12:51 PM

200 posts, read 173,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

Used cars, I'm not sure.
I have never paid close to sticker for a car, new or used. I feel like that isnt the norm until this past 18 months. Every new car Ihave ever bought i got below sticker not including dealer/ man incentives. With the internet you can accomplish this without leaving the house. Now people think msrp is a deal. Todays market is feeding lavishly on those who are not content with their current auto.

For the ones driving them into the ground, I would assume they would repair any issues and wait it out if that is how they value automobiles. I don't feel that many owners outside of a total accident or major major issue are going to replace an auto right now. Hanging on to your paid off vehicle is by far the smartest way to approach this topic at any time and its always cheaper to repair than to replace.

Old 10-04-2021, 01:10 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Lol if ice vehicles were to be banned then someone forgot to tell the auto makers because they are still producing ice vehicles along with their EV’s. I think if ice vehicles were to be banned in a couple years than the automakers would not still be making them. Lol people think that ice vehicles are going to disappear in the near future. These people better think of how your going to make a EV vehicle without useing petroleum products or fossil fuel power assembly plants. If you think plastic or vinyl, the planet will never be free of petroleum fossil fuel.
Why exactly do you think it has to be all or nothing?

Automakers are indeed winding down ice production. VW is the biggest automaker worldwide and the current generation is their last for internal combustion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive