Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 11:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

I had a friend comment that my car sounded loud after I gave them a ride, I had never noticed the sound, but I drive it everyday, so it could be that I just gotten used to the sound.

I took my car to Midas yesterday, after they put it up on the lift and drove it, they say the sound is normal and I do not need a muffler.

My 2013 Honda CRV is not loud at all at idle, it seems like it only gets loud when accelerating, (thats when my friend noticed it). Im not really sure if this is the sound its always made though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 11:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You can bet that if a muffler shop said you don't need a muffler, you don't. After all that's their livelihood, they want to sell you one. Sound when accelerating can come from different places. It can be from the air intake sucking, or if you have one, the turbo kicking in. I have not replaced a muffler since one went out on my 1973 Ford Courier. Since then, I have gone as many as 173,000 miles and 20 years on the original muffler. They just don't wear out like hey used to in the 1960s and before. If anything, you could have rodent damage to the firewall sound insulation, making the engine noise louder.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You can bet that if a muffler shop said you don't need a muffler, you don't. After all that's their livelihood, they want to sell you one. Sound when accelerating can come from different places. It can be from the air intake sucking, or if you have one, the turbo kicking in. I have not replaced a muffler since one went out on my 1973 Ford Courier. Since then, I have gone as many as 173,000 miles and 20 years on the original muffler. They just don't wear out like hey used to in the 1960s and before. If anything, you could have rodent damage to the firewall sound insulation, making the engine noise louder.
This car has around 128K on it, Im pretty sure its the original muffler. If I start the car and get out, letting it idle, you can barely hear it running, (no rattling or anything like that), and when Im stopped at a red light, sitting inside, its very quiet... I think it may just be the sound its always made.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:44 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I'm with Hemlock. If someone who makes a living selling mufflers tells you you don't need one, believe him.

If I recall correctly (it's been a long time since I've been there) Midas used to take you right under your car and show you what you needed. If there were a rust-through or other defect they could show it to you.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'm with Hemlock. If someone who makes a living selling mufflers tells you you don't need one, believe him.

If I recall correctly (it's been a long time since I've been there) Midas used to take you right under your car and show you what you needed. If there were a rust-through or other defect they could show it to you.
Do you know what the average lifespan for a muffler is today? I dont hear many people with newer than 2010 cars ever having their mufflers replaced.

This Midas is right by my house and Ive had work done by them in the past, they seem to be pretty honest from my experiences, but the mechanic told me they mostly do car repair (not so much muffler replacement here)

Old 10-12-2021, 09:53 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Do you know what the average lifespan for a muffler is today? I dont hear many people with newer than 2010 cars ever having their mufflers replaced.

Very much depends on your area. If you're in the 'salt belt'.. And keep the vehicle more than 5 years.. The odds get much higher that you will need it replaced.

Here in SC.. It's rare.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:42 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Very much depends on your area. If you're in the 'salt belt'.. And keep the vehicle more than 5 years.. The odds get much higher that you will need it replaced.

Here in SC.. It's rare.
The above is true, HOWEVER, these days, the Government (EPA) considers the exhaust system as part of the pollution system, and it's a requirement that it last, either 50 or 100,000 miles (I forget which). Therefore, systems today, are made of stainless steel, and last a LOT longer...

Old 10-12-2021, 02:38 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
The above is true, HOWEVER, these days, the Government (EPA) considers the exhaust system as part of the pollution system, and it's a requirement that it last, either 50 or 100,000 miles (I forget which). Therefore, systems today, are made of stainless steel, and last a LOT longer...

5 years is 100k for me. but, agreed. I seem to recall it being 8/100k or something like that so far as the requirements.

Which probably explains why i've had 2 cats fail at like 105k miles in the past. Both of them where the catalyst came loose internally and started rattling around.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:44 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If only there was someone members of this forum could put where they live so we didn't have to ask this question...

Old 10-13-2021, 07:22 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Depends where you live.

Up here in New England, the salt on the roads just destroys exhaust systems. I have a 2014 with 130K miles on it and i've already replaced a broken flex pipe and just replaced one muffler because it rusted out. The other muffler isn't that far behind.

On my previous car, the pipe connected to the muffler rusted out and broke around 140K miles.

Salt on the roads sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive