Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2022, 10:07 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,620,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Why pay cash when you can take advantage of a 0-2% financing offer on a new vehicle purchase? I could go into online banking and pay off the balance of our car loan in less than two minutes but I have zero reason to pay off a 0% loan early.
Because, I can buy a good used vehicle, and have, for $6,000 or less. Then I can take the remainder of the $50 or 60 K and use it for :
  • retirement savings
  • home improvements
  • travel
  • helping my family
  • etc. etc.

But then my priorities may be different from yours. Doesn't make either of us wrong. But I just don't get buying a new vehicle. It certainly is not an investment. Others have many reasons, although in most cases, it is justifications, especially if it is just for transport. As example, a Porsche or a Rolls are not just transport, and neither are most highend vehicles, are they?

If you can afford them, great. But otherwise, you are justifying the outlay for a non-rational reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 12:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,937,108 times
Why is the assumption that it’s either a $6K car or a $50K one? Lots of room in between that, even with new vehicles.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:56 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,675,952 times
Quote:
Why pay cash when you can take advantage of a 0-2% financing offer on a new vehicle purchase? I could go into online banking and pay off the balance of our car loan in less than two minutes but I have zero reason to pay off a 0% loan early.

Are rates still that low for auto loans? I know mortgage rates shot up in the past month or so

Old 04-03-2022, 01:43 PM

29,784 posts, read 14,848,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Because, I can buy a good used vehicle, and have, for $6,000 or less. Then I can take the remainder of the $50 or 60 K and use it for :
  • retirement savings
  • home improvements
  • travel
  • helping my family
  • etc. etc.

But then my priorities may be different from yours. Doesn't make either of us wrong. But I just don't get buying a new vehicle. It certainly is not an investment. Others have many reasons, although in most cases, it is justifications, especially if it is just for transport. As example, a Porsche or a Rolls are not just transport, and neither are most highend vehicles, are they?

If you can afford them, great. But otherwise, you are justifying the outlay for a non-rational reason.
I've done both. Bought my first new vehicle in '01. Kept that for 7 years. Then just bought used ones up until two years ago. While I had no issues with those used ones, I sure do love my '19, that I ordered , so it is exactly what I wanted. That being said, I'm older now, and just don't want to deal with the used car BS. My last used one just started to nickel and dime me to death. When I was younger it wasn't a big deal to do my own wrenching. Now I reserve that for the classic car or maintaining all my toys. Just don't have the patience to wrench on a daily driver.

Old 04-03-2022, 03:37 PM

4,368 posts, read 7,287,186 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Are rates still that low for auto loans? I know mortgage rates shot up in the past month or so
No, they aren't. But there may still be promotional rates like that from some manufacturers on selected new models.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:29 PM

8,404 posts, read 6,506,572 times
I have a redo program on Saturday mornings Car Pro. This guy is a X dealer and knows new cars. The program is advice on buying new cars.
There are lots and lots of people who want a new car when there is nothing wrong with their current car. Often low mileage late model.
Same with phones I realize.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:51 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,989,516 times
The average salary is not the same as the median salary. For example if you have 4 guys making a million dollars a year and 6 making $40K, the median salary is $40K but the average salary is $424K.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:21 PM

10,424 posts, read 7,014,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I think if one is buying new, ordering it and willing to wait the time to get it, they will come out ahead. I don't think this inflation is changing the MSRP's of new vehicles. I could be wrong though.
So true, there are dudes that buy C8 Corvettes (they have to wait a year or so for each car) then sell them for $35000 more than they paid, to someone that's "gotta have it, right now."

One guy in my club has flipped 11 of 'em, so far.
Run the numbers on this, and you'll quickly discover he's made about $385,000 tax free in 18 months...

He's also got a few deposits at different dealers for Z06's too....

Old 04-03-2022, 10:12 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,078,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I was wondering when it will happen. Automakers are in a race to build boutique cars nobody can afford. America once prided itself for making the most affordable cars in the world. Get in line and ride the bus.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u...170558754.html
What is the avg cost of the vehicles bought?
Does it say?

Old 04-04-2022, 04:00 AM

2,047 posts, read 870,014 times
Anyone really still buying into this chip shortage due to Covid? Personally I think there’s a far more sinister plan underway. I just read an article that governments around the world are purposely shortage in everything. Food is next. If you watch the news they’re already warning us there’s gonna be massive food shortages. And the automobile shortage will continue through at least 2024.

Best hunt the ads and buy used and make sure you favorite mechanic likes you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive