Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 11:05 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times

Advertisements

Anybody remember Whitworth wrenches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 03:33 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,475,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

Was that the one they used on trailer houses? I remember the sheet metal screws on mobile homes back years ago required a special socket. Seems like the name was something like Whitworth.

Old 04-27-2022, 06:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
This is just a Hex Drive socket set (as per previous pic), rather than square drive.

Avails a few more options for drive tools and space / articulation
Probably a late 1950's version

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...t-sets.290004/

My dad was an Industro dealer, so I have a lot of their tools,
Watch the obits for my upcoming huge estate sale(s), someone will be very happy with the great finds and also the revenue

Old 04-27-2022, 06:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Befuddled me @ age 12 when I was disassembling a 1950's English Ford. (I still have the Whitworth head bolts, thinking I will eventually need them for something...)
What are Whitworth wrenches?
A Whitworth wrench is sized according to the diameter of the shank of the bolt, not the head. A 1/4 W (Whitworth) wrench is actually a bit larger than a 1/2″ American wrench—0.525″ to 0.500″. As if that wasn't enough, in 1924 it was decided that the heads of the Whitworth bolts were too large, so they were down-sized.Dec 13, 1988
https://mossmotoring.com/whitworth-system/

Old 04-28-2022, 04:43 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
This is just a Hex Drive socket set (as per previous pic), rather than square drive. Avails a few more options for drive tools and space / articulation
Probably a late 1950's version
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...t-sets.290004/
My dad was an Industro dealer, so I have a lot of their tools
That is what we have but our set is only 5 sockets (9/16 to 7/8) and no allen type wrench though I think the wrench is here somewhere.

Then we found this one which looks the same on the outside and is marked 1/2 inch.
But it's 12 points on both ends.

What do you make of that one? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Type sockets-img024.jpgede.jpg  

Old 04-28-2022, 05:49 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
The pictured sockets are of the Allen-wrench style drive, could be made with a 6-point drive or from square shaped bar stock. Generally, these were very inexpensive sockets sold in compact sets with an Allen wrench to drive them rather than a square-drive ratchet. They do, however, require less clearance to use than a ratchet. The big drawback is that you must lift the socket off the fastener to advance the rotation.

Whitworth sized wrenches/sockets were a British Standard item, along with British Cycle Institute sized wrenches. The thread pitch/size/shape and fastener dimensions were their counterpart to Metric or USS and SAE standard threads and sizes, and the Whitworth wrenches are sized differently ... to include sizes not in inch dimensions, but in "BA" (for example, a "2BA" wrench or socket) found in the smaller sizes. Whitworth threads/sized fasteners were extensively used in British manufacturing up until the 1980's, and commonly found here in the USA on British cars and motorcycles. For the most part, I found the Whitworth thread shape & dimensions to be markedly weaker than comparable size/application Metric or USS/SAE designed fasteners. In due course, the Brit's have moved away from the Whitworth standard of fasteners.

As a tech working extensively on Brit motor vehicles in the 1960's-2000's, it was necessary to have Whitworth wrenches along with Metric and USA wrenches. Whitworth sized fasteners will not accept a Metric or American size wrench. It's not uncommon to see a lot of messed-up fasteners on older Brit vehicles where somebody tried to use the wrong wrenches on the fasteners ... and even a Crescent wrench on accessible fasteners oft-times just doesn't work very well.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-28-2022 at 07:03 PM..

Old 04-29-2022, 05:57 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,873,497 times
I dont have any pics of it, but I have a set of those sockets along with 2 allen wrenches and a rachet. One allen os straight, the other bent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive