Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 05:58 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times

Advertisements

We recently got a dash cam setup with front and rear cameras. These record in five minute segments, amounting to about 700 Kb for the front and 400 Kb for the back, per minute of driving time. At this rate an hour's driving time works out to a staggering 13 gigabytes, and the quality isn't even that good. If the light is just right, you might be able to identify the manufacturer's logo on the car behind you, or if you're really lucky maybe even the license plate.

To put this in context, I bought a copy of LOTR:The Return Of The King, a couple of years ago from Youtube. This is the extended version and lasts nearly 4.5 hours. If I want to download this 4.5 hour movie to my own device, in HD, it works out to 10 gigabytes.

Why on earth is it that 4+ hours of HD movie content, loaded with spectacular effects and in pinpoint clarity throughout, takes less storage space than an hour's worth of content on a dash cam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 06:38 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Why do you have the need to look at an hour or more video on your dash cam?

I only have the need for maybe the last 10 - 20 minutes, in case of an accident.

My set-up can record a total of an hour's worth but automatically removes the earliest time slots and then records again.
The system records the front and rear cameras and plays the recorded video at an accelerated speed.
Besides the internal storage, I have a 64Gb extra card installed...

Old 07-28-2022, 08:08 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Maybe it's the audio that gobbling up all the storage? Or, telemetry? Or both?

Old 07-28-2022, 09:27 PM

10,824 posts, read 4,506,581 times
how many p and frame rate....do the math.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:56 PM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
1100 kilobytes per minute total? That's 66 megabytes per hour.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:38 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
trying not to get too technical:

some recording formats use more storage than others. .avi .mp4 H.264 H.265 there are many choices, many are not free and require a software license when you make the device. Some cheaper dash cams... use a cheaper codec that results in a large filesize. Most decent dash cams are self-grooming: they delete the oldest files automatically when they need more space.

For comparison, my 2k doorbell cam makes ~1MB per sec. But it only records on motion events, not continuously. I have other cams that record continuously, but they only keep it in RAM - they only write to the SDCard when they recognize "an event" like a human being / a face / a pet or a drastic change in light/action/motion/sound. But so far, a 64GB SDCard is perfectly adequate (~$7.99 off amazon).

For a more technical explaination of codecs, containers, and A/V licenses:
https://blogs.fsfe.org/pb/?page_id=20

Old 07-29-2022, 06:29 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Why on earth is it that 4+ hours of HD movie content, loaded with spectacular effects and in pinpoint clarity throughout, takes less storage space than an hour's worth of content on a dash cam?
Compression codecs

Old 07-29-2022, 07:42 AM

10,824 posts, read 4,506,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Compression codecs

right, a dashcam is just raw video, pixels times frame rate dumped without delay to avoid buffer underflow or overflow. both catastrophic without pricey editing ability. there is a reason the are like $50 starting at walmart... dashcams loop (usually user settable) until you stop it and commit it (like hey I saw that accident!) recording your 8 hour drive I would think has little use unless you are trying to apply facial rec to see if a mad dog killer appeared in frame?

if the dash cam is not needed for tv quality and you can, use 720p and 16f/s - it will be like the multiplexing used for a hotel non-hd tv channel (480p is garbage today)

ANY time you compress, you lose detail. the algorithm of the codec is what determines which detail is unimportant. in non-gray or greenscale night vision - aka day vision, low light edge detection is very poor which is why in bad conditions, it pixellates BADLY.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:34 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
We recently got a dash cam setup with front and rear cameras. These record in five minute segments, amounting to about 700 Kb for the front and 400 Kb for the back, per minute of driving time. At this rate an hour's driving time works out to a staggering 13 gigabytes, and the quality isn't even that good. If the light is just right, you might be able to identify the manufacturer's logo on the car behind you, or if you're really lucky maybe even the license plate.

To put this in context, I bought a copy of LOTR:The Return Of The King, a couple of years ago from Youtube. This is the extended version and lasts nearly 4.5 hours. If I want to download this 4.5 hour movie to my own device, in HD, it works out to 10 gigabytes.

Because the video is written in real-time without too much hardware compression. With any movies you download, they take the video files and optimize it and then run through post processing compressions so they can compress the video down. Sure, better hardware can write compressed video stream in real time but that will increase cost and storage is cheap so why would you care.

I much rather have uncompressed video written since it's less likely to corrupt. That's why Dashcams write in uncompressed form in case the battery dies the file is not corrupted.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:27 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
1100 kilobytes per minute total? That's 66 megabytes per hour.
This ^. your math is off

And as other's have mentioned - it's real time. There is video processing happening - so how fast the storage can be written to is a factor.

But for the most part - you're at about 66MB/hr of video. So using your 13GB number, that's almost 200 hours of video....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive