Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 03:22 AM

4,855 posts, read 2,670,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I'm driving down a 3 lane highway that had very little traffic then suddenly hit a school of cars doing 60-70mph completely blocking traffic flow. You figure these drivers won't tail gate or get very close. But I see drivers lined up almost 1.5 car gap and being very close to each other. Fortunately I got around a gap and made my move to cut in front of the lead group of drivers. The guy honked at me for cutting through but I blasted away and left the school of cars behind in the rear view mirror and eventually reached another school of cars.

Anyone tired of this type of traffic congestion?

so you are an admitted aggressive driver and you want to come on here and cry about nobody getting out of your way?..I hope you get an aggressive driving ticket in your near future..slow down..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 05:18 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I thought left lane threads were banned.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:42 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In fact, they are giving out tickets for corking the left lane whether they are doing the speed limit or not.
Not in Michigan or Ohio. Left lane campers are common in both states. Keep right except to pass is a foreign concept.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:38 AM

7,911 posts, read 3,456,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The scenario the OP describes in usually the fault of one person - the driver at the front of the pack in the left lane. It is their responsibility to yield to faster traffic. I don't get irritated at the rest of the group, nor do I weave through them and force my way to the front. They're already being victimized by the selfish asshat at the front in the left lane, why would you make it worse by cutting people off and forcing your way in?
Yeah there's always "that guy" at the head of the pack. That person is either too unaware to be safely driving on the highway or is getting their jollies off of it. It's fine if you like to drive slow...there's a lane for that, over on the right.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:51 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
I despise riding in the "pack", especially if I'm towing. First thing I'll do, is either speed up and drive away from them, or slow down, depending on how fast the pack is traveling.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:39 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
I disagree about this being determined by the lead car necessarily. I've seen situations where a 'pack' like this forms simply due to traffic patterns e.g. between certain exits and interchanges around a metropolitan area and the speed is simply determined by the flow of traffic which in those areas is heavily impacted by merging vehicles (which always leads to temporary slow down).

Old 08-01-2022, 02:21 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Don't you hate school of cars on the highway?

No, if they're driving the speed limit, single lane, then they are obeying the law. Some of you people need a little patience and some driving responsibility.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:24 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I'm driving down a 3 lane highway that had very little traffic then suddenly hit a school of cars doing 60-70mph completely blocking traffic flow. You figure these drivers won't tail gate or get very close. But I see drivers lined up almost 1.5 car gap and being very close to each other. Fortunately I got around a gap and made my move to cut in front of the lead group of drivers. The guy honked at me for cutting through but I blasted away and left the school of cars behind in the rear view mirror and eventually reached another school of cars.

Anyone tired of this type of traffic congestion?
I am annoyed by drivers that illegally ride the left lane, do not maintain consistent speeds, and tailgaters. Schools of cars typically include at least two of the aforementioned annoyances so yeah, I feel ya.

I prefer to ride alone.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:37 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I thought left lane threads were banned.
They are, but this seems to be more generalized about packs of cars in a clump in all lanes. In my area the speed limit is 55-65 more of the time than 70, so I don’t see a significant issue with people driving 60-70. We also have A LOT of left lane exits or splits, so that causes slow traffic in all lanes just by default. People aren’t going to be able to merge on in the left lane quickly, and more often that not that causes serious slowdowns. That is really no fault of anyone but the people who designed the left-sided exit/entrance ramps.

I think the clumping is caused by a variety of factors- one that sometimes semis are limited to the two right lanes and they have a lower speed limit than cars. Even people going the car speed limit may have to go around in the left lane, but they won’t necessarily be “fast” by aggressive driver standards. A law abiding driver going the speed limit of 70 in the left lane going around two trucks going their speed limit of 60 in the other lanes is not really problematic but it WILL cause clumping.

Old 08-01-2022, 05:24 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Some drivers seem to be most comfortable following another car very closely.
If they're tailgating me, I get out of the way, and they tailgate the next car.

A couple of times, I've had somebody following too close, so I pull over out of the way. They followed me to the curb, then got annoyed that I did that. Drive for yourselves, people, don't depend on me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive