Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 04:53 AM

45,522 posts, read 60,760,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I see the similarity to newer trucks, but those also had more normal choices sold alongside those, whereas today do they even sell plain old trucks anymore?
Yes. Although you have to define "plain". What used to be options (radio, A/C, power steering and brakes) are now standard, just like in cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 05:53 AM

6,382 posts, read 4,227,154 times
It certainly doesn’t help the aerodynamics of the vehicle and reduce fuel usage

Old 03-12-2024, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
It certainly doesn’t help the aerodynamics of the vehicle and reduce fuel usage
Trucks today are getting better mileage than ever.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,699,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
The more things change, the more things stay the same. Here are some from the 70's through early 90's. The lifted ones have what were popular tire choices in the................80's.

The one ford and the one Dodge appear to be stock for their times for the heavy duty's........kind of like the newer ones out now.

Yes, I know this is an older thread.

http://classiccarsmarks.com/images/f...0k-miles-4.jpg

https://images.classic.com/vehicles/...t=crop&ar=16:9

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...0-frame_26.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_utMhbFqeio/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/47/19...68f33b9ed8.jpg
Most weren't lifted like those though. My grandfather bought a new Silverado in '84, and it came with whitewall tires that looked like they were taken from a Buick. It was an 'old man' truck, which seems to be the way most came from the factory.

I think the big issue today is everybody thinks they need 4wd. Up until the mid-2000s the majority were 2wd.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:41 AM

29,597 posts, read 14,732,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is all about psychology of the pickup truck driver. You have that male ego and testosterone going. Can others have a bigger truck then you? NO. You need the biggest. It really is that simple. Oh there is more. So you have that big truck with that high bed in the back. You don't care, because you rarely use it if at all, but that super high bed is not nearly as functional as one that is lower so you don't need a damn ladder to get in it. They are way less functional. Try shoveling mulch out of a super high new truck bed. Sure you would be shoveling it at head height. That isn't doable really unless you are nearly 7' tall.

Let's face it. It is all about ego and testosterone, nothing more. It certainly isn't about functionality.
It doesn't have to be about anything, it's just what many people want. I'd much rather be daily driving a CTS-V or whatever the current equivalent is, but need a pickup to tow my side x side, snowmobiles, or cart our two dogs, family and gear to our rural cottage. I did step down to a half ton gasser though, because I really don't need a 3/4 diesel.

My wife would rather be driving a full size SUV, instead of her Acadia, and it has nothing to do with testosterone, or ego...it's what she likes.

Not to mention, the sad reality is too many Americans are just plain overweight and pickups are roomier, and easier to get into.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:46 AM

29,597 posts, read 14,732,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Remember the good ol' day when you need more space to haul things, but didnt want a truck. You had a station wagon. Now people still need the extra space to carry things, but are too fat to climb down into a tight fitting car. Just open the door and step in, and no more bending over to load your stuff. Yea, I dont like the flat as a brick, front end on some of the trucks now.
I've always been a fan of station wagons. I really with the Buick Regal TourX would have sold better. There just isn't any good station wagon offerings in the US. Sure, a Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo would be great, but I don't have a $150k to spend on one.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:21 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,689,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlabs View Post
Very good comment, don't like the current pickups, don't buy one.....simple.
Personally I like driving my F150, on trips or any semi long distance driving, my wife prefers the pickup over her Cadillac. One can see better, it rides smoother, plenty of room for 5 people, more so than most cars, plus, as a do it yourself person, a bed in the back to haul 2x4's, plywood, most anything I want.
The new trucks, many have 360 degree cameras, get it on the road, put it in my Adaptive Cruise Control, and go. I have plenty of power to get out on there interstate with my twin turbo V6 without the risk of being run over or waiting for 6 minutes for enough room to be able to take a running start.
I'm not asking anyone else to like my truck, much less buy one, to each their own!

No, not that simple. Would I perish if I didn't buy a new pickup? No. But, what I like to do requires a truck. My old one is 24 years old and needs a lot of engine work and has a lot of corrosion. Next truck, I will likely keep for another 20-25 years, so I'd like to buy new. All the manufactures are making trucks that are unnecessarily tall and I can't change that.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Trucks today are getting better mileage than ever.
My F150 4x4 with the 5.0 V8 and 385 Horsepower gets 16+ around town and on my commute two days a week, as much as 20 on a trip. That's just the same as I got on my previous 2007 Ranger with the smaller 4.0 V6. Considering the weight of the truck, power for hauling and towing, that's not bad. Even towing our 6,000 lb. 25' trailer it's getting 10-12 mpg, and that's about what I got in the 1972 El Camino (unloaded) that I had in the late 90s. With the 36 gallon tank I can tow the trailer t least 360 miles on a tank.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I see the similarity to newer trucks, but those also had more normal choices sold alongside those, whereas today do they even sell plain old trucks anymore?
Where I bought mine the dealer is specializing in trucks, and does a lot of fleet sales to contractors and governments. They have the F150s in basic XL trim, regular cab, Oxford white color, plain silver steel wheels, vinyl upholstery and floor covering, manual seats. They do still have power windows and door locks, and AC, nothing is made without those any more. The base price in this configuration is just $36,570, and they do have at least one in stick at $38k.

https://www.windowsticker.forddirect...MF1CP5PKG21389

Old 03-12-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Where I bought mine the dealer is specializing in trucks, and does a lot of fleet sales to contractors and governments. They have the F150s in basic XL trim, regular cab, Oxford white color, plain silver steel wheels, vinyl upholstery and floor covering, manual seats. They do still have power windows and door locks, and AC, nothing is made without those any more. The base price in this configuration is just $36,570, and they do have at least one in stick at $38k.

https://www.windowsticker.forddirect...MF1CP5PKG21389
My 2014 is an XL Super Crew. Vinyl seats and floor, power locks and windows, steel wheels. It does have Cruise and the original radio was SAT enabled and could be hooked into your phone for navigation. It also has chrome bumper inserts. Also RWD.

And it's green.

I think your point, which is correct, is that base trucks are out there but you have to look for them.

Here's one local to me for $41,330 that's the Extended Cab. It also has the Co-Pilot 360 option.

https://www.waldorfford.com/new-Wald...EX1CP0PKF95141

Here's one for $34K at a different dealer, regular cab although it's a 2023.

https://www.koonsford.com/commercial...5edfb42227.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive