Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 10:24 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

The first one that comes to mind for me is having a hybrid that has the climate system like the Prius, Sienna, etc. (where you can set it with the engine off, it will work, and then, if needed, the engine will kick on for whatever amount of time until it satisfies the charging system, and then the engine goes off again).....so having a hybrid vehicle with that capability that also has a manual transmission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 11:01 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
It is a shame the CR-Z didn't sell better and keep the hybrid with a manual concept going. Would've bought one myself in my heavy commuting days if it had an extra couple inches of headroom.

Which more room is a feature I'd like to see in a lot of cars heh. I'd own an S2000 or a Miata if they had more leg room.

My Mini convertible has a ventilation feature you can activate via their app. But that just turns the fan on which is kind of pointless since I can just drop the top before getting in. Basically something they just threw in with some common code from the electric Mini that will turn on the full climate control like what you're talking about. But gas versions obviously don't have the battery for that.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I wouldn't have any need to have heat in the car while sitting in it, but on my wife's Outback, I can set the heat/AC/heated seats and start it from my iPhone, and run it for 10 minutes before she leaves on a really cold morning or hot afternoon. In our state it's actually illegal to have a car running unoccupied, but no way anyone would ever get caught in their own driveway. Since it gets 26/33 mpg the 10 minutes idling doesn't use much gas.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:10 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I’d love a manual transmission in my Tesla. The ability to control its insane acceleration and torque with a manual would be a primo driving experience.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-17-2023, 01:10 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
There are some manual EV concepts out there. Would be nice to see one of them try to capture that niche market and keep it alive.

Last edited by notnamed; 05-17-2023 at 01:32 PM..

Old 05-17-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It is a shame the CR-Z didn't sell better and keep the hybrid with a manual concept going. Would've bought one myself in my heavy commuting days if it had an extra couple inches of headroom.

Which more room is a feature I'd like to see in a lot of cars heh. I'd own an S2000 or a Miata if they had more leg room.

My Mini convertible has a ventilation feature you can activate via their app. But that just turns the fan on which is kind of pointless since I can just drop the top before getting in. Basically something they just threw in with some common code from the electric Mini that will turn on the full climate control like what you're talking about. But gas versions obviously don't have the battery for that.
Today I remembered one of the 'unusual' thread potential entries that I saw on 5/1 but couldn't remember when I went to write those down a week later, and that one was a black CR-Z hybrid. I've thought about the thread subject in the past, but thinking about that black CR-Z prompted my thinking about it today. Honda also (2005 was one of the years) had a Civic Sedan Hybrid with a manual transmission....but I don't think any of the Honda manual transmission hybrids had the climate/heat/AC system set up as I described that Toyota does.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:42 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Oh oh..... let me answer.

I'd like a bench seat short cab small pickup with a 400 hp V8

Old 05-17-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’d love a manual transmission in my Tesla. The ability to control its insane acceleration and torque with a manual would be a primo driving experience.

I just thought of another of the cars I saw on 5/1 that I couldn't remember when I made my 5/1 list.

It was a Tesla with a partial plaid patterned wrap.

I thought, being a Tesla owner, he must know that the outward indication the it is a Plaid, IIRC, is the word plaid affixed to/towards the right rear of the car, so that he must be spoofing that......but **shrug** who knows ?

Old 05-17-2023, 01:59 PM

2,037 posts, read 992,671 times
I like three-pedal driving as much as ever, but there isn't s single stick that's faster than its slushbox twin, AFAIK. Even C&D, the proud supporter of the manuals, admits it.
And it makes almost no sense in an EV.

Old 05-17-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Oh oh..... let me answer.

I'd like a bench seat short cab small pickup with a 400 hp V8
^^^^^ made me think of two different vehicles.....

1. One company in the 70s tried to put a Chevy V8 (a 350 I think) in a Vega. There is a CD poster who posts mostly in California based CD forums (he lives in the LA metro) named V8Vega, and I think his screen name may have been inspired by that vehicle.

1. One company took a Chevy V8 (also a 350 I think) and would put in a Z (Datsun/Nissan). IIRC, it was given the name 'Scarab', and I've wondered if CD poster scarabchuck got his screen name from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive