Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 04:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Just find a manual transmission car. Theives do nto know how to drive them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 06:55 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
If my car is stolen i use that as an excuse to get a new one. Win win situation in my opinion, lol.

Old 06-04-2023, 05:19 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What I'm reading is that its harder for them to steal a car with a key fob than an old school "dumb" metallic key.
I think the best option is an immobilizer key. This is a key with a passive chip in it that will talk to the ignition or even door locks and won't let a copied key or picking attack work.

The fobs are pretty safe but there's a way to very easily steal a car that uses a fob and that's you sit in the car in a parking lot and want someone pushes the button to walk or secure their car they have a frequency receiver that picks up that frequency and they'll just send it back to the car and be able to start and drive off. So she have a key fob and you're in a parking lot a lot of people in it lock your doors and manually or with the power door locks and shut the door don't push the button on your key fob.

Quote:
Now, they have to have this special relay machine, get close to your key, then steal it.

In the past a coat hanger and a screwdriver would get you down the road. Or a key that had been sanded down to almost nothing working in an older ignition tumbler.
Well if you have a car like this and you don't want it getting stolen have a kill switch installed

Old 06-04-2023, 05:23 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
This is the way.
I'm not sure how many thieves pop the hood to try and repair the car they're trying to steal

Old 06-05-2023, 09:17 AM

290 posts, read 249,775 times
It seems as though cars without keyless entry are at a lower risk.

I recently replaced my "keyed" truck with a keyless (2022) version that has a push-button start. I asked my mechanic about the risks, and he said I was better off since mine doesn't unlock automatically (have to push the unlock button or use a physical key). I'm still vulnerable to rolljam attacks, but not so much for simple relay attacks.

I asked about kill-switches and ghost immobilizers, but he's no longer installing them. He's had too many problems with the aftermarket add-ons triggering (according to him) much more sensitive electronics. He told me installing these types of electronic security devices are more likely to lock me out, rather than deter thieves.

We got curious and tested 8 different types of faraday containers to see which actually worked (hint: many cheapos from Amazon are worthless). We found a jewelry-box-sized version (AtfArt) which worked every time on both cars, and we now use it as the key "bowl" in the kitchen. We just toss our fobs in there and close the lid when we go inside. The only soft pouch style that worked 100% was made by Mission Darkness, so we got several and keep them in the cars. If we're somewhere risky*, we grab a pouch from the glovebox and stuff the fob inside while we're away from the car(s). These are small enough for a pocket, but large enough for the fob and attached keys.

Mechanic also recommended the old-style steering wheel club as a standby.

I asked him about Cat thefts too, and found that those are often make/model specific. Certain types of Cats are less desirable to thieves. Sadly, one car has the type they want, the other doesn't. Crapshoot, I guess.

*Risky = somewhere that the key and car are close together - like a small dentist's office or a restaurant. In a high rise or mall, the key is far enough away we don't worry about it.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:16 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Depending on your fob size, Altoids mints tin box can be a perfect solution.
Metal containers are great for blocking electromagnetic radio waves, and you don't have to do much at all to “build” them into RFID blockers. Just clean out the tin and place your credit cards inside of it. And your car fob too.
Voila! You have a perfectly adequate RFID blocker! El cheapo too
https://www.eholster.com/blog/how-to...-rfid-blocker/

Old 06-06-2023, 09:30 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Don't worry. They'll find a $500 anti-theft device, and no doubt the (economic) universe will unfold as it should.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:17 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Don't worry. They'll find a $500 anti-theft device, and no doubt the (economic) universe will unfold as it should.
I have a car with two anti-theft devices built in, and when they went wrong, it only took two wires to bypass them.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:58 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
It seems as though cars without keyless entry are at a lower risk.
Seems to me the old school keyed entry is way easier to break into. And steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive