Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 09:56 AM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times

Advertisements

One of the many benefits of minivan ownership is being able to Chuck a twin size mattress back there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 10:24 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
This reminds me of a road trip I took with my older sister and her boyfriend, from Minnesota to California, in a single cab Mazda pickup back in the mid 90s when I was 16.

The truck had a topper on it, with coolers and luggage and blankets and pillows in the back. That's where I spent most of the trip. It was actually super comfortable and relaxing back there. The truck had a sliding window so we weren't completely isolated from each other.

When night came we rotated spots so whoever was driving would get to go to the back and get a few hours of rest. I only had a drivers permit at the time, which was only good in Minnesota, but they still let me drive for a few short stretches.

One of those stretches just happened to be going through the mountains. The truck was a stick-shift and I barely had a grasp on how to operate it properly. I came to a stop sign while going up a fairly beefy incline. I stalled it 2 or 3 times, and each time rolled backwards a few feet until I came about 2 inches from smashing into the car behind us.

My sister's boyfriend said that's it, no more driving for you, and then we got out and ran around the car and talked to the guy behind us and apologized and told him what was going on, and then the boyfriend took over to get us up past the mountains.

Anyways, like I said the bed of the little truck was super comfortable with the blankets and sleeping bags and pillows arranged just right.

Old 09-16-2023, 10:26 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
I've don't it many times . . .

More of a "Refresh Nap" than actually sleeping overnight.

Old 09-16-2023, 10:33 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Naps - yes. All night sleeping - no.
Same.

I feel safest to go to a large truck stop, like Love's, rather than a rest stop.

Anytime I've done so, it's as I'm moving & my car is stuffed to the roof so there's no room to even put back my seat. So, I can't lie down/back & have had to slump over the steering wheel or just timber sideways into the passenger seat a bit, which is also filled to capacity.

Being a girl, it draws attention. I don't know if people think I'm ill or tipsy (or just napping), but especially if slumped over the steering wheel, when I've woken up everyone who's passing by is staring at me. So, I don't like to take a nap in the car, but I have had to relocate many times, twice while ill... once with pneumonia & once with diverticulitis... neither a party... & passing out for a while was a necessity. If it's too early to check into a hotel, you have to just keep driving or stop for a bit.

Old 09-16-2023, 11:45 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Yes. And I sleep in my wagon on camping trips to this day. I made a point of buying a wagon where the seats fold exactly flat.

I'm not a fan of long road trips but I'll rent a wagon/SUV at my destination so camping is an option. A vehicle is more secure than a tent.

Old 09-16-2023, 11:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I drove from Key West to Central NY 7 xs , and back ...you bet I dozed off at Truck Stops! Yrs ago.

Old 09-16-2023, 12:10 PM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
My Ford Excursion can sleep a small village in it when I use my overland tent. However... even without the overland tent, yes... I have slept inside with my wife and two dogs comfortably, second row down, third row bench removed.

Old 09-16-2023, 12:23 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Yes. And I sleep in my wagon on camping trips to this day. I made a point of buying a wagon where the seats fold exactly flat.

I'm not a fan of long road trips but I'll rent a wagon/SUV at my destination so camping is an option. A vehicle is more secure than a tent.
Can I ask do you camp at those KOA sites? Or, are there many other camping sites?

Old 09-16-2023, 12:51 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
A few times... Just worked out that way. More like a long nap around 4-5 hours.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:19 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,794,690 times
I haven't slept in a car on a road trip since I got too big to sleep on the deck under the rear window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive