Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
LOL, thanks! I'm actually just topping off a full tire, thus I don't want to spend the 50c on the gas station pump, (and more truthfully the $1.50 worth of gas to get there or costco, turn the engine off, and turn it back on again)
Sponger,

I Retract my last post......Sounds like you just refuse to spend a buck.

"Buy a Bike" and then your tire pump will work fine.

Sell the car and then you can afford to have dinner and go to a movie if you want.

Did you ask how to pump up your tires or how to save money??

Silverfox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 02:01 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Probably a stupid question. Too cheap to pay 50c for a gas station pump with a bad valve and a broken gauge, can I use my bike pump?

It's the same standard valve, right?
The PSI values are lower than a bike tire (35 PSI for most car tires, 80 for my bike).

Is there any reason a bike pump wouldn't work on a car tire? Obviously the volume of air is higher, so you'll be pumping for a long time, but other than that, is there any reason a bike hand pump can't be used on a car tire?

I've done it many many times. I think those complaining about how hard it is havn't actually ever done it. No, it's not fast, but slow steady strokes will get the job done a LOT sooner than the "wisdom" here indicates. A bike pump is a high presuure low volume thing where as you only need 30-35 PSI but it'll work just fine.

BTW...there are two types of valve stems in current popular use. The typical low budget bike schrader valve also found on automobiles and the presta type valve found on higher end light weight road bikes. There are pump heads that come set up to handle both types of valves.

As an interesting piece of for what it's worth trivia the auto type schrader valve is considered the only piece of hardware that fits all cars going back to way before H.Ford.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:50 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Unless you don't have room for it, get a ~1hp "regular" air compressor at Sears or similar. Get one with wheels - you will wonder how you ever got along without it - if you are at all into DIY, that is.
Great advice, M3 . . . I did just that about a year ago and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:58 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Sponger,
..."Buy a Bike" and then your tire pump will work fine.

...Sell the car and then you can afford to have dinner and go to a movie if you want.

...Did you ask how to pump up your tires or how to save money??

Silverfox
Your retraction is acknowledged.

Actually, I did not ask "how to pump up tires" or "how to save money" but rather "Can you inflate an automobile tire with a bike pump?"

So, the suggestions that I buy an electric pump, sell my car, buy a bike, etc. will be ignored by me. Maybe they'll help somebody else who is in a different situation.

Thanks to those who answered my question. I've got a schrader valve attachment on my hand pump, as that's the only valve on my bikes or car.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
I would figure that the efficiency of the pump would drop off as it heats up though.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:18 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Once upon a time, I saw a banner sign in front of a Firestone shop/store. From then on, I've been going there to check my tires and to add air if needed. They ended up getting some of my business from then on.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:25 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Once upon a time, I saw a banner sign in front of a Firestone shop/store. From then on, I've been going there to check my tires and to add air if needed. They ended up getting some of my business from then on.
Great idea, Brian . . . that's why so many Tire Shops offer "free air checks" nowadays.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:02 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Here's an idea; go to a truck stop and buy an air hose with an air chuck at one end and a trailer air connection at the other. (cost: about $30) Then you can just pull into a truck stop and ask some friendly trucker if you can hook your hose to his truck's air brake system..voila! 120 or so psi to inflate your tires!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 12,683 times
Default not stupid at all (no income)

I have no income or have not invested in a DC volt or other type pump with a motor. So my son's car is in the driveway on PNO (non-op registration) while in Army training. So I cannot drive it (and other reasons). I only want to check and bring to right levels or top off. Why are there such sarcasm with some forumer's? Questions can be answered respectfully and do they really know why the question is asked?? Thank You for respectful answers.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
If you had a really good bike pump it wouldn't be so hard....but a really good bike pump would cost you well in excess of what you could buy a decent electric inflator for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive