Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,572 times

Advertisements

i have a 1998 chevy lumina (friend just gave it to me) and just paid $198.00 and they replaced both front rotors and pads. is that a good price, cause this is my first time ever getting anything fixed on a car. thanks to who ever responds to this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,572 times
i just had both my front rotors and pads replaced, i paid 198.00 is that a good price. this is the first fix i've ever made on a car and i'm cureouse if it is reasonable or if they ripped me off. thank you to whom ever answers this question.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vburen View Post
i have a 1998 chevy lumina (friend just gave it to me) and just paid $198.00 and they replaced both front rotors and pads. is that a good price, cause this is my first time ever getting anything fixed on a car. thanks to who ever responds to this question.
In my opinion, that's a little high, but not "Geez you got screwed!" high.

Do you know what "grade" of brake pads they used? Ceramics, by chance?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I have a Toyota Sienna van, front wheel drive with 47,600 miles on it. Today, I had to get 4 new tires which freaked me out because I really thought I'd get more miles on my Michelin tires. Then they tell me my there's almost nothing left on my brakes. Is this a normal amount of time for brakes to last for a van? My Honda civic definitely went 50K or more before I needed brakes. I have no reason not to believe them because they knew I wouldn't be using them for anything other than tires.

Also, what's a normal price for front disc brakes for a van? Merchants Tire and Auto quoted $149.99 including labor. The Toyota dealership said at least $300. That's quite a difference!

So let me get this straight, you're driving something nearly twice as heavy as a Honda civic, and you expect to get more than 50K out of brakes and tires? I'd say you made out pretty good.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,482 times
My Tacoma went 62K before needing front pads. The rears are still stock and the truck has about 160K on it today.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:22 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
So let me get this straight, you're driving something nearly twice as heavy as a Honda civic, and you expect to get more than 50K out of brakes and tires? I'd say you made out pretty good.
I put over 75,000 miles on a Chevy truck, pulling a 20' tandem axle trailer, on one set of front brakes.

It has everything to do with how you drive.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Yeah I think I had around 50k on my Venture when I replaced the original pads, and that's with very easy driving since new. Minivans are fairly heavy vehicles and often have undersized brakes which makes them wear faster.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I put over 75,000 miles on a Chevy truck, pulling a 20' tandem axle trailer, on one set of front brakes.

It has everything to do with how you drive.
Exactly. About 90% of my driving is freeway and I'm a serial offender at coasting. People behind me get squirrelly when I start my coasting to the red light. If I'm not down to 20 mph or below by the time I apply the brakes (from 45-50), I get upset with myself. Obviously, you've got the occasional light change on you, but for the most part you don't. I eventually replaced the fronts at about 90k not because they were worn but because they warped and caused an annoying shimmy when stopping.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 5,166,000 times
It depends on how one drives.

It is unfortunate (and expensive) that too may drivers know only 2 positions for their right foot:
- accelerating
- breaking

There is the 3rd one I use quite a bit - relax right foot and be ready to break (if distance to car in front reduces, or there is an imminent stop/slowdown).

For example, when I see that the vehicle in front of me is stopped (or slow), or there is an imminent red light, I remove my right foot off the acceleration (while many accelerate all the way and hard break). Makes it for a much smoother ride for my passengers, while saving the breaks.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
Definitely. Don't take your car to a chain repair shop (midas etc.)

Yup I went to Midas for a brake job once and the next week one of my wheels came off our rig going over 65 mph. The rig was wrecked and they paid big time.

Most newer cars now are designed so that by the time the pads are worn out so is the rotor so generally turning rotors and just replacing the pads are almost a thing of the past.
It is really easy to replace rotors and pads yourself. It's the old style drum brakes that can be difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive