Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:19 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,406 times

Advertisements

Just wondering this may be dumb and I know I'm sure online would list this but here it goes... How do I go about registering my vehicle in GA from a another state that has a inspection sticker in addition to the registration and are the police hounds about getting the vehicle registered there? I know this is general automotive forum and I have posted forum there as well just wondering..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 10:22 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
You are not telling us enough. What State...Anyway got to the DMV of the state & look it up.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:20 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,407 times
By googling "Georgia DMV" I got the following response.

"Possessing a Georgia driver's license is highly recommended before trying to register a car in the state. If you are new to the state, make the driver's license office your first stop.
You must register your vehicle within 30 days of purchase or within 30 days of residency, whichever applies, and then reapply for a new tag each year. Applying for a title and registering your vehicle can be done with the same application. Georgia titles are not required for car models 1963 to 1985.
Georgia counties vary in their requirements for vehicle registration. Call your county tax commissioner for specific details for where you live.
The documentation you will need to produce to register your vehicle includes:
  • Valid Georgia driver's license.
  • Valid out-of-state title or the manufacturer's certificate of origin if the vehicle is new. If the vehicle is from a state or jurisdiction that did not require it to be titled, then you will need the original registration papers in your name. If you purchased the vehicle through an auto loan or lease, you will need to complete an affidavit naming the lienholder or leasing company.
  • If you are registering a vehicle not eligible for Georgia titling, or a vehicle that comes from an area not requiring a title, you must get your vehicle inspected prior to registration by any law enforcement officer or tag agent. All parts of the Certificate of Inspection must be typed except for the signature, so complete it online and print it. Part of the inspection includes verification that the car is not stolen.
  • Appropriate fees and taxes ($18 title fee plus $20 registration fee). Tag costs vary, as do taxes, so check with your county tax commissioner for specifics. In January 2006, the state began charging sales tax on vehicles, so you'll need to check with your tag office to determine the amount of sales tax required for your vehicle."

Good luck

Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslashondapjohnson View Post
Just wondering this may be dumb and I know I'm sure online would list this but here it goes... How do I go about registering my vehicle in GA from a another state that has a inspection sticker in addition to the registration and are the police hounds about getting the vehicle registered there? I know this is general automotive forum and I have posted forum there as well just wondering..
Not too sure on the particulars for Georgia but why would anyone risk being stopped for something so easily avoided?

Just recently, two separate scenarios with friends trying to postpone proper registration and hanging on to the tags from their previous state . . . on both occasions not only did they receive a hefty citation but their vehicles were seized.

Total cost in addition to the new registration . . . about FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS plus many hours of GRIEF!

Old 06-28-2008, 02:05 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,303,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslashondapjohnson View Post

i know some states will allow you about 6 months before you have to register or get a license in that state. i know ny and n.h are like that. contact the dmv in georgia and ask them how long before you have to do it. atleast that's what i would do.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:24 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
i know some states will allow you about 6 months before you have to register or get a license in that state. i know ny and n.h are like that. contact the dmv in georgia and ask them how long before you have to do it. atleast that's what i would do.
Great advice, JFRRACING.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:05 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,624 times
Quote:
i know some states will allow you about 6 months before you have to register or get a license in that state. i know ny and n.h are like that.
Your info is just plain wrong...

New York requires registration within 30 days
NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration and Certificate of Title (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#outofstate - broken link)

New Jersey requires registration within 60 days
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,407 times
Quote:
i know some states will allow you about 6 months before you have to register or get a license in that state. i know ny and n.h are like that.
You know your own area best, but in general that's a pretty long period of time to be stringing out a car registration issue.

As said below, Georgia allows 30 days. Many states have similarly short terms. And the penalties for non-compliance can get sticky and expensive. So, mslashondapjohnson, the best advice I can give is to do what JFRRacing sez and phone the local DMV, then follow their advice.

I've heard so many people bragging about "saving" money by scrimping on the re-registration issue when they move. What we don't hear is the horror stories once those cases are finally settled. Like the motorhome owner who ended up paying $400K plus his attorneys fees when he attempted to "save" $80K over a four year period. Somehow, it didn't all add up.

One other thing, the length of the registration period - usually a year - from one state does not usually transfer to another state. There are exceptions, but the big states don't normally accept them. That means if your sticker expires in Nov, '08, and you move in May, '08 to another state, you can kiss that other 6 month registration period goodbye. It may not be fair, but your registration normally becomes due XX days after you first operate the vehicle in the new state ONCE you've become subject to [responsible for] a vehicle's registration in that jurisdiction. THAT date can vary a little during relocation periods, depending on other factors. IM me direct if you have any involved questions. Yes, I'm 'tired from a DMV.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:21 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,406 times
Default Thanks everyone

ANd I myself wasn't going to risk that chance . I just didn't know if I would have a hard time switching this over especially since this is on a financed vehicle but thanks for the info on vehicles 1963- 1985 my fiance' will be happy to know that.. you guys are awesome.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Some states have the registration date set for the month your birthday is in. I know Michigan is that way. We just moved from Maine back to Michigan which Maine has a vehicle inspection and Michigan does not. No big deal, just registered the vehicles and don't worry about an inspection you are no longer required to have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive