Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM

362 posts, read 1,858,013 times

Advertisements

I am 18 years old, and I am considering buying my first car. My dream car is a Subaru Outback. I love how it combines SUV looks/capability with car-like handling, but it's too expensive, and it might even be too big for what I want. Can anyone recommend a good used car that's similar, but cheaper? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
How about a used Subaru Outback? If you think you want something smaller, how about a used Subaru Outback Sport, which was based on the Impreza rather than the Legacy?

Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,238,630 times
My vote, too, for a used Subie.

I've never bought one with less than 100,000 miles on the odometer, and we've had excellent success with putting another 150,000 to 200,000 miles on them with minimal expense beyond routine consumables (tires, oil/filter, trans & diff lube changes, brakes).

In my experience, the OE Subie dealer brake pads give much longer service life than anything I've found in the aftermarket, and the dealer install kit replaces a lot of the mounting hardware, too.

Even an early Outback with reasonable mileage on it should have a great deal of remaining service life, which is what you're purchasing in a used car.

For your purposes, I'd avoid any of the Outbacks with the 4-cam 2.5 liter motor, which was problematic with blown head gaskets, which can be an expensive repair UNLESS this has already been addressed in the car you're considering. This series, 1997 onward for a few years, is generally less expensive to buy because of this know fault area. The later 2.5 motor also had head gasket seeps, but these were external seeps of coolant from the motor and didn't result in catastrophic failures like the early 2.5 motors (with oil in the water or vice versa).

Our two current Subies: 1995 Legacy Wagon has 235,000 miles ... still with original suspension, drive axles, fuel pumps, original clutch, wheel bearings, etc. No major work has been performed, although you can tell that it's not a "fresh" car anymore. But it's still excellent and reliable transportation for us. I anticipate doing a valve job and replacing the clutch in the next 20,000 miles. It still turns in 32 mpg in my wife's 60-65 mph 68 mile daily commute, and has a very good heater and A/C system in it.

My 1997 Outback wagon has in excess of 350,000 miles on it, and is still reliable and good transportation. This one, however, did need front axles (cheap! $78 ea, complete new assemblies), new brake rotors and pads throughout, and the top end overhauled due to the "blown head gaskets" before any further damage resulted. I did the engine work myself, and spent only a few hundred dollars ... and replaced the clutch while I had the motor out of the car, although it wasn't yet needed; just an opportune time to do so with the motor out. Although a little "tatty" in the cosmetics department, it's still a reliable driver and performs well.

Our local postal delivery was done with a similar car for the last 10 years (postal model, right hand drive) and didn't need much work over it's service life. Just a few axles, a valve job, a fuel pump, and routine tune-ups/filters/fluids. The retirement was forced by the auto transmission finally going out of it.

Good luck in your search for a suitable vehicle in your price range.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:57 PM

362 posts, read 1,858,013 times
Thanks for the responses. I have looked into used Outbacks (and Foresters), but they seem to be a rarity in St. Louis where I live. I mean, they are there, but they're only a couple years old so they're still going for 15, 16, 17 thousand. But I'll still keep my eyes peeled!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:11 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,588,288 times
So how uch are you willing to spend? And do you want a car or truck or suv?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:30 PM

8,432 posts, read 7,440,670 times
Sounds like lovethewest wants a small SUV, something with AWD, but less expensive than a new Outback.

Options are Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Ford Escape, Jeep Patriot, Chevy Equinox, probably others. All of these vehicles are about the same price, but of varying quality. Also, they all get less than spectacular gas mileage.

You might be better off seeking a small car than a small SUV.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:40 PM

732 posts, read 4,160,020 times
You can get an old muscle car with a 440 for pretty cheap and you will be cool

Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,780,362 times
one vehicle not mentioned is the Pontiac Vibe AWD as well. Toyota/GM joint venture, nice little car. just turned in my vibe for a Vue after owning 3 years. been very happy

Old 07-26-2008, 05:30 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,685,866 times
Unless you have money to spend on car repairs or the knowledge, time, and skill to fix car the car you buy yourself I'd go with a used Honda or Toyota. They're very reliable, run forever, and don't require much maintenance which I think are prerequisites for a first car.

Whatever you do do not buy a cool car that will send you to the poor house like I did - a 1970, pale yellow, MGB convertible - it was beautiful, but it was in the shop every other week. I finally had to sell it because I couldn't afford to keep it running and pay for college at the same time.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:21 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,578,929 times
Miata!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive