Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 AM

575 posts, read 3,134,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
My three favorite brands, all being transferred and mismanaged to heck. Terrible ownership choices on the part of Ford and GM (although Volvo's done Ford some good in the past). It IS possible to be a successful niche market company, although Ford and GM aren't in that business, and is proof of why they should have thought twice before the acquisition.
What do you think Ford and GM are trying to do (or not doing) that isn't working? These type of situations do work, i.e. Mini and BMW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:54 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,243,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
What do you think Ford and GM are trying to do (or not doing) that isn't working? These type of situations do work, i.e. Mini and BMW.
I think that Ford, in trying to acquire a "niche" brand with Jaguar, ran up against a lot of local English resistance (either labor or government controlled) to their efforts to "improve" the marque. There were some very obvious improvements that were readily in hand to build a much more relialble car, with better handling and performance, which Ford had researched and planned to do with the car marque upon buying it.

Examples: Ford wanted to abandon Lucas/Smiths electrical components for higher quality items from other suppliers. The gov't forbade Ford to drop Lucas as a supplier for fear of job loss and putting people on the dole.

Ford wanted to replace a very aged, expensive to build in-line 6 motor with a modern lightweight V8 powerplant. The Brit's were outraged that the V8 wouldn't "sound" right in the car, and refused to accept the demise of the DOHC 6. Ford finally quietly built a prototype car with a sealed hood, and released it to the English motoring press for road test. They were "thrilled" with the car, it's handling, sound, and the power. Only after they'd "raved" about the new car, did Ford unseal the hood and reveal ... gasp ... a V8 motor under the hood. How "very American" ... and unlike the true nature of a British car with a fine old heritage. But they finally recognized that a V8 could be an asset. Interesting, because Americans had been repowering Jags with small block V8's for years (and with American starters and alternators and ignition systems) with excellent results in the power, fuel economy, and handling areas.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 PM

866 posts, read 4,260,979 times
Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated! I'm curious to see people's responses for cars that were more unique in offerings compared to other makes. If people can make the connection as to why these companies were chosen and the questions in the surveys then they will see the point i'm getting at, and it is an interesting topic! Where do you think these three companies are headed for the future?
These three brands really are not European anymore with Volvo being currently owned by Ford, and Saab being owned by GM, and Jaguar is now owned by Tata Motors (India) as others have mentioned.

Where do I see these brands in the future??
Well, currently they all all doing pretty poorly right now. I think that Volvo is the strongest of the three but they are not exactly a hot seller. GM tries to make Saab look like their "european style sports car" but it seems as if they have been pretty unsuccessful with adding the brand to their line up. Jaguar in my opinion is in the worse shape of all. Since the early 1990's they have been slumping, I am actually shocked that they are still around today.

Another problem that I have seen with these 3 brands is that they do not change their models the way that they should. Saab has not had a huge design change for many years, the same goes for Volvo. Jaguar had the same model design for many of its cars for 20 years!! People want something new every few years and Jaguar did not do that for a long time. If you can't tell the difference bewteen a 1997 Jag and a 2007 Jag there is a problem!!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:31 AM

575 posts, read 3,134,841 times
Well of course Tata just bought Jaguar only a couple months ago, so they have not had any input into the company yet and no results are apparent. Ford still prevails as the catalyst for how Jaguar performed. Could it be a lack of interest, or funds, on these makes that put them into their position, and do people realise it in the products?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:59 PM

812 posts, read 4,087,630 times
Quote:

Yes, they do work, but I think it comes down the parent companies' desire (or lack thereof) to have those types of companies in their portfolio.

BMW has a history of dealing with a niche product, and really has only gone truly mainstream themselves in the past decade or so. Ford and GM are, in contrast, in the business of making mainstream cars, and acquired niche marques to maintain market share/further market share overseas - a tall order.

There has been some discussion in the past (memory is foggy) that Ford was hoping to make make Jag a bit more like BMW - mainstream. These brands have very a devoted, albeit small, following, and makes must tread carefully there, all the while making something that bring new people in. Even BMW has had their share of headaches with "reinventing" their products (Chris Bangle anyone?). The current MINI has however proven to make old cooper fans happy, as well as to appeal to the mainstream - both of which are obviously crucial to overall success.

Volvo's had some degree of success with this as well ,I believe, until recently. Weather the current sales slump/money loss situation is due to true lack of appeal or due to the market's/Ford's problems (or combo thereof) remains to be seen. Just a few years ago, Volvo was a pretty good asset for them.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
The current MINI has however proven to make old cooper fans happy, as well as to appeal to the mainstream - both of which are obviously crucial to overall success.
Unless MINI does something different in 2009 or 2010 I believe that they will continue to see a sales decrease.

Every time I go to the North American International auto show in Downtown Detroit MINI has all of these cool concepts and new body designs but none of them ever get put onto the market. People are slowly getting tired of the same old MINI copper that they have seen for 8 years.

Here is an example of a body change, but it is not enough. The group needs to put out something new.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:30 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Saab is the Volvo of this current generation, in terms of mundane and antiquated styling. Although not as bad as the former Volvo box cars, todays Saabs do not look that much different from first and second generation Saabs.

A few years ago, Volvo made a bold move and redesigned their box cars into a very stylish car. It's time for Saab to do the same.
Frankly; I vastly prefer boxy cars----------vehicles that I can see all 4 corners from the driver's seat. My fave in that regard would be a 1969-76 Mercedes 240D (just install a decent American or Japanese drivetrain )

This 'sporty' styling is too damn pervasive.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 AM

26,435 posts, read 46,671,237 times
Sometimes certain car brands are popular in particular areas of the country. Here in New England specialty brands like Saab, Volvo, Volkswagon, and Subaru are popular.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:02 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,948,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
Unless MINI does something different in 2009 or 2010 I believe that they will continue to see a sales decrease.

Every time I go to the North American International auto show in Downtown Detroit MINI has all of these cool concepts and new body designs but none of them ever get put onto the market. People are slowly getting tired of the same old MINI copper that they have seen for 8 years.

Here is an example of a body change, but it is not enough. The group needs to put out something new.
They are, Dexterguy. They certainly are!!!! I can't wait!

Motor Authority » Preview: 2010 Mini ‘Crossman’ SUV

Old 08-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
They are, Dexterguy. They certainly are!!!! I can't wait!

Motor Authority » Preview: 2010 Mini ‘Crossman’ SUV
It looks good, I guess we will have to see if they really put it on the market.

BMW must do something with MINI otherwise they will die off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive