Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:16 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
what exactly is intermediate?

cadillac had a 472ci engine and a 500ci engine in the fourth generation e-body platforms(67-70)

the other ebody vehicles, the toronado and the riviera, were limited to 455ci
Intermediate:
Chevy Chevelle, Dodge Coronet and Charger, Plymouth Road Runner and Satellite, Ford Torino and Fairlane, Mercury Comet, Pontiac Tempest/GTO/Grand Prix/LeMans, Oldsmobile Cutlass, 4-4-2, F-85, Buick Skylark and GS.

Back in the 1960s, an intermediate (or mid-sized) car was one having a wheelbase from 112 to 118".
Full-sized was 119" and more (like the Plymouth Fury and the Ford Galaxie and the Chevy Impala).
Compacts had a wheelbase from 102 to 111" (Plymouth Valiant, Dodge Dart, Chevy Nova, Ford Falcon).

Cadillacs, of course, were full-sized luxury cars and there was no limit on engine size for those cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:19 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Mid to late 60's stripped Chevy Biscaynes and Belairs with 427 cu in, M22 transmission and a 4:56 rear, dog dish hub caps on basic steel wheels.

68-70 Nova, 396 cu in, M22, 4:11 rear, dog dish hub caps on basic steel wheels.

Any of those grocery getters could surprise a few people between stoplights.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:47 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
1968-1970 MB 300SEL 6.3

This was Benz' big 4 dr sedan of the era that had a range motors from 2.8 liter (280SEL) up through 4.5 liter (280SEL4.5) and under 200 HP and very adequate luxury car performance. The 6.3 had very few exterior changes to distinguish it from the standard production line cars, but it was a hand built car with the monster 6.3 liter V8 MB truck motor with Bosch mechanical fuel injection. These cars could smoke off a lot of american V8's and then go around a race track at speeds approaching pure F1 race cars ... as demonstrated by the factory showing up at the Belgium Spa track in 1968 with three of these cars and posting the F1 pole winning qualifying time with a stock 6.3 sedan. Unfortunately, nobody made tires then that would stay under these heavy cars on the track for more than a few laps, so they couldn't run the race. But they made their point about the handling and performance of these cars. About 2,000 total built from late 1967 through 1971.

I've been in several, traveling across NV and into CA, where they had no difficulty cruising 120 mph across the deserts with the A/C blowing. A friend with a Euro spec 1968 claimed to race Corvettes through the Colorado mountains across to Utah on I-70 and handily run away from them. With 4 big people and luggage in a 1969 USA model, we cruised Las Vegas to Los Angeles at 85 mph and still got 21.5 mpg.

euro spec BMW 745I sedan, mid 1980's These were brought into the USA as "gray market" cars, not officially imported, but a fair number were brought over.

A real sleeper, these cars had the active suspension, big brakes, with factory turbocharged 6 cylinders of a little over 3 liter displacement in the regular appearing top of the line 4 door sedan. Not the quickest car off the line compared to big V8 powered cars, but these were fast .... capable of maintaining well over 100 mph speeds on roads where other cars would lose their handling manners. One client of mine who regularly commuted Denver to SLC claimed he could cruise in the 140 mph range in the Western Colorado area and could stay with comparable Porsche's, Ferraris', etc. You don't appreciate that ability until you realize that the 745I was a very large luxo 4 door sedan that cruised with pure sports cars.

MB 6.9

The "replacement" for the 6.3, these top of the line luxo barges had almost nothing to distinguish them from the normal 450SEL body work car for the owner who spent a lot of money for the upgraded performance. With hydraulic suspension and the dry sump 6.9 liter V8 and Bosch CIS injection, these cars were much more refined in their manners and handling than the brutally raw 6.3's they replaced. Effortless to drive at high speeds, they weren't slouches at the stoplight, either. Well capable of cruising at speeds that put sports and "sporty" cars to shame, but nowhere near as fuel efficient as the 6.3's. In euro spec trim, well capable of cruising in the 140+ range for as long as you had fuel in the 27 gallon tank. These cars suffered greatly from lack of distinguishing them from the standard line cars, so took a great hit in depreciation from the new sales price, too. A real sleeper for a large 4 door sedan.

IMO, what separates these cars from USA large displacement V8 powered cars ... such as Cadillacs with 500 cu in motors ... is that the USA cars had strong off the line performance and the power to run well into the 100+ mph range. But what they didn't have was the suspension, brakes, chassis integrity, and ability to confidently/safely cruise those speeds except on a smooth and straight road. Put them on roads with some twisties and they lost their composure very quickly ... while the cars I've mentioned still had adequate tire smokin' off the line performance and the ability to run with high end two seat sports cars.

Just one enthusiats' opinion here about "sleepers".

Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
euro spec BMW 745I sedan, mid 1980's These were brought into the USA as "gray market" cars, not officially imported, but a fair number were brought over.

A real sleeper, these cars had the active suspension, big brakes, with factory turbocharged 6 cylinders of a little over 3 liter displacement in the regular appearing top of the line 4 door sedan. Not the quickest car off the line compared to big V8 powered cars, but these were fast .... capable of maintaining well over 100 mph speeds on roads where other cars would lose their handling manners. One client of mine who regularly commuted Denver to SLC claimed he could cruise in the 140 mph range in the Western Colorado area and could stay with comparable Porsche's, Ferraris', etc. You don't appreciate that ability until you realize that the 745I was a very large luxo 4 door sedan that cruised with pure sports cars.
I almost bought one of these things back in 1996. However, I couldn't get anyone to insure it (the VIN didn't compute in their systems so they just told me "no") and I couldn't find a mechanic in town that would touch the driveline if it needed repair. Plus, it had an automatic, which I probably would have been willing to overlook except for the other aforementioned dealbreakers. Ended up with an Audi 5000S instead. Great driving dynamics except the wheezing 2.3L engine and 3-speed auto, with which it could barely get out of its own way.

I wouldn't categorize the 80s-era 7-series as "huge." It's about the same length and weight as today's 5-series. It was a big car back then, but not now; and even back then there were bigger. (See: Cadillac, MB SEL series, etc.) I believe the engine was a 3.4L and produced about 250HP. Not bad in an era when the Corvette produced 230HP and a Ferrari 308 produced 240HP.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
And of course a Dodge Magnum SRT-8 would qualify as a sleeper if the badging was removed

13's in the quarter mile and a top speed of 170 MPH.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
(^)

Yeah, thats a good one! I drove one of those many years back, very fun indeed, and a pretty good sleeper at that!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I always liked the mid-engined Renault R5 Turbo, up to about 110-120 where it's brick-like aerodynamics took over it would stay with just about anything and could also turn a corner.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
1978 Mazda GLC with a 13B rotary turbo. This particular car would take on anything, imported or domestic. This guy came from PA with a Buick Grand National on tow and he was handed his ass 3 times. A heavily modified Mustang 5.0 came and leftm and the list goes on and on.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Way back in the early 60's when compact cars were coming out I wanted a Pontiac Tempest Lemans coupe. Wife says no, we need a station wagon. So I special ordered a wagon with the 166 hp engine (big 4 barrel carb) and 4 speed.

Fooled many a Falcon, Valiant and Corvair with that car, err wagon.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:13 PM

121 posts, read 536,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
At that time, the only 4-door car in production that was faster through the 1/4 was the BMW M5.
Funny you mention the M5, a friend of mine had an '88 that was absolutly stock "looking". That boxy 4-door sedan surprised a whole lot of folks when he unleashed all 470 Dinan HP By far the biggest sleeper (and fasted car) I've ever had the pleasure of driving...

As far as factory sleepers...those T-Type Buick's are hard to top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive