Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:56 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickers View Post
Your neighbors who have scanners can hear every bit of your conversation if your talking on a cell phone or a cordless phone. Cell phones have long rang and cordless only a block or two. Not to mention big brother listening in on land lines.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see the documentation to support your claim. Both my cell phone and cordless phone are encrypted.

If I recall correctly, older analog cell phones, with an older scanner that does not have the frequencies blocked (this is quite a while ago), that may be possible.

I used to be able to listen to cell phone conversations on an old TV (that went up to channel 83), but that was 21 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 PM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see the documentation to support your claim. Both my cell phone and cordless phone are encrypted.

If I recall correctly, older analog cell phones, with an older scanner that does not have the frequencies blocked (this is quite a while ago), that may be possible.

I used to be able to listen to cell phone conversations on an old TV (that went up to channel 83), but that was 21 years ago.
scanners can receive cordless phone broadcasts.they cannot and should not be able to receive modern cellular. scanners built before 1994 could be modified to unblock the cellular frequencies but could only recieve older analog signals..

"Background Information on Cellular Frequencies with Radio Scanners

Radio scanners were never built to receive cellular frequencies. However, scanners built before 1994 were able to be modified to receive these analog frequencies. The older scanner models actually had the cellular frequencies programmed in them and certain modifications allowed a user to un-hide them. Scanners built after 1994 were required to be blocked and didnt even have these frequencies hidden. They were manufactured to not even include them. Even if scanners today could receive these frequencies, they would be of almost no use. With the development and use of digital cell phone signals such as GSM, TDMA, or CDMA, and even if the scanner was tuned to their frequency, you wouldnt be able to hear anything. "
'

Old 11-26-2011, 04:17 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they are not legal in cars here in new york. however if you have a ham license and a transceiver that can get those frequencies your okay.

its still up in the air whether a ham license and stand alone scanner qualify because the scanner can receive ham frequencies.

nyc even requires a permit if you qualify for one.

"The New York City Administrative Code requires a $25.00 annual permit for anyone wishing to put a scanner into an automobile. There are no exceptions, although certain federal, state, or local government employees may have the fee waived - but they still need the permit. The application procedure is arduous and requires, among other things, a statement that the applicant has what the City would consider to be a legitimate need for a mobile scanner and a thorough background check. The Code also prohibits possession or use of any descrambling device that can decrpyt police communications"

its believed even in nyc hams dont need to pay the 25.00 as federal law according to prb-1 overides local laws. only requirement is that its not a seperate scanner but built into the ham tranceivers capability.

http://www.hamisland.net/FCC_SLP.pdf

call sign-n2uta

Here's an online link for NY police and fire listening:

New York Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com

Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
scanners can receive cordless phone broadcasts.they cannot and should not be able to receive modern cellular. scanners built before 1994 could be modified to unblock the cellular frequencies but could only recieve older analog signals..

Radio scanners were never built to receive cellular frequencies. However, scanners built before 1994 were able to be modified to receive these analog frequencies. The older scanner models actually had the cellular frequencies programmed in them and certain modifications allowed a user to un-hide them. Scanners built after 1994 were required to be blocked and didnt even have these frequencies hidden. They were manufactured to not even include them. Even if scanners today could receive these frequencies, they would be of almost no use. With the development and use of digital cell phone signals such as GSM, TDMA, or CDMA, and even if the scanner was tuned to their frequency, you wouldnt be able to hear anything. "
'

Scanners still receive many cordless phone, baby monitors, private security phones, etc. That should not be listened to.

Here's a list of my main equipment:

Realistic pro-2006 unblocked
pro2096
Optoelectronics Model 40 Scout
Optoelectronics 802 antenna amp

I also have a Motorola truck tracker at work, because we have a trunked Motorola system here.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 PM

312 posts, read 860,748 times
nice wilson- i just have the pro 106 with RS 800mhz ant.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:41 PM

106,649 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Scanners still receive many cordless phone, baby monitors, private security phones, etc. That should not be listened to.

Here's a list of my main equipment:

Realistic pro-2006 unblocked
pro2096
Optoelectronics Model 40 Scout
Optoelectronics 802 antenna amp

I also have a Motorola truck tracker at work, because we have a trunked Motorola system here.
they shouldnt be listened to but its more ethical than law. only cellular are governed by law.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:55 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,473 times
I have a RS Pro 164 handheld. My county uses the Motorola II system. The scanner is decoding the Talk Group ID's but I swear you gotta be a NASA engineer to program this damn thing. We have one primary and 3 secondary for sheriff, police, fire etc, trouble is the primary 856.93750 is always scrambled.

I use a british naval adapter and have it hooked up to and antenna about 60 ft. in the air. It sure helps to identify what roads and neighborhoods to stay out of. Mostly illegal fires and traffic stops, 911 hangups, domestic issues. Last night a lady got stabbed with a broken beer bottle or knife at a bar, it was unclear. Funniest one yet was some guy up a ladder illegally reconnecting his cable TV.

Never a dull moment and really reveals just how many dregs there are in our society.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
they shouldnt be listened to but its more ethical than law. only cellular are governed by law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I have a RS Pro 164 handheld. My county uses the Motorola II system. The scanner is decoding the Talk Group ID's but I swear you gotta be a NASA engineer to program this damn thing. We have one primary and 3 secondary for sheriff, police, fire etc, trouble is the primary 856.93750 is always scrambled.

I use a british naval adapter and have it hooked up to and antenna about 60 ft. in the air. It sure helps to identify what roads and neighborhoods to stay out of. Mostly illegal fires and traffic stops, 911 hangups, domestic issues. Last night a lady got stabbed with a broken beer bottle or knife at a bar, it was unclear. Funniest one yet was some guy up a ladder illegally reconnecting his cable TV.

Never a dull moment and really reveals just how many dregs there are in our society.

Its been a while since I have used this equipment. It was a lot more fun in the old days. But I want to point out that the Opto Scout automatically switches the Pro 2096 to the nearest frequency which I am sure that you fellows with some scanner experience know the importance of.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,806,214 times
Default Free Online Police Scanner and Code Reference

- Click on this link to listen in on what is going on in your town. Click on link and select your state and county
- Link to Police Scanner Code Reference

iPhone/iPod/iPad App
Search and download the 5-0 Radio Police Scanner Lite for free

Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:

'
------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"scanners can receive cordless phone broadcasts"

Encryption between the cordless phone and the base station is relatively common. Granted, DECT 6.0 has a somewhat weak algorithm, but you can get cordless phones all over the place (cheaply) that utilize this. I guess if you are willing to put enough effort into listening in, you can do it.

Another option is Frequency-Hopping Digital Spread Spectrum (FHSS). These cordless phones are also really cheap.

I am not too worried about anyone with a scanner being able to listen in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive