Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

As I generally buy my cars well used (100k +) I almost always replace the tires, shocks, brakes and sometimes the suspension bushings. I generally leave the rest alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
As someone who never leaves anything stock, I always do modifications to vehicles. While personally I would never own a vehicle as ugly or retarded (in my opinion) as a camery or accord, I've had many big and mid sized (true big and TRUE midsized cars, not the subcompacts of today they call mid size) that i've added better suspension and brake components to. More for my safty and enjoyment than caring about what anyone else thought of the car. Like my 85 Delta 88 4 door that is being done now. It will be ble to corner with a vette, yet ride like the midsized car it is without beating you to death. Larger brakes with 255/60x17" tires, (I hate that large of dia. wheel, as I think they are too much rim on anything other than a truck, but brake clearence forced it).
Just finishing up getting the Cobra 4 v. engine in my 95 T-Bird. Next will be suspension stuff on it. All the while building my 69 Firebird dragcar.
Oh, I have a 77 F150 Supercab that has a built engine in it too. I just can't seem to leave any of them in their pathetic no power stock state!
I know the feeling.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I agree with you in the preventive maintenance part, as long as you take care of your car regardless if it's domestic or import it will last you a lifetime and more.

On your style comment I would say although everyone was created equal we're all different. You may not find any sexy body styles under that segment but what about me, or other posters?

So I was off by a year.

you were only off by a year, but as you can see, there is a big difference in the car.

what were the modifications to your Honda Civic?

honestly, have you ever driven an American rear wheel drive V8 performance car - Corvette, Firebird/Camaro, Mustang?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post

you were only off by a year, but as you can see, there is a big difference in the car.

what were the modifications to your Honda Civic?

honestly, have you ever driven an American rear wheel drive V8 performance car - Corvette, Firebird/Camaro, Mustang?

I see what you mean. There's a different!

It was aftercooled supercharged with mild modifications to the internals, stage 4 clutch and flywheel, heavy duty axles, racing exhaust, upgraded fuel system, upgraded brake calipers, discs, lines, suspension, brace bars, fuel management by Hondata. It was tuned to 281 hp at the wheels.

I had driven a few mustangs including a Cobra and a Saleen, very impressive cars, no doubt. I also have driven a Viper. They were fun to drive but I just didn't "feel" it if you know what I mean.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I had driven a few mustangs including a Cobra and a Saleen, very impressive cars, no doubt. I also have driven a Viper. They were fun to drive but I just didn't "feel" it if you know what I mean.
i have no idea what you mean. there is no way that you drove these particular cars and felt a performance deficit in comparison to the imports that you have owned or driven. there is just no way. i'm not sayin' that's necessarilly what you meant by "not feeling it" - i'm just saying you would have had to felt an marked increase in performance with the "American Supercars" that you have driven. if these cars in some other way didnt suit you, thats fine.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:09 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Outside of maybe some Toyota-branded and approved upgrade wheels/tires, (not too radical - maybe one inch bigger diameter than standard, maybe a little wider, maybe stock width) and maybe a set of Bilstien shocks once the stock shocks get tired, I'd be inclined to leave the Camry alone, if you want a dedicated sports car get one (plenty of good Miatas, Corvettes, Mustangs, MR-2, Supra etc. out there)

A modded Camry - lowered, loud exhaust - just seems weird to me. It comes across like a 50-year old lady dressing herself up as if she was 14-16. And getting tats and piercings.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i have no idea what you mean. there is no way that you drove these particular cars and felt a performance deficit in comparison to the imports that you have owned or driven. there is just no way. i'm not sayin' that's necessarilly what you meant by "not feeling it" - i'm just saying you would have had to felt an marked increase in performance with the "American Supercars" that you have driven. if these cars in some other way didnt suit you, thats fine.
If you call it suit then I am sooo sorry for the typo. They did have an outrageous amount of HP, but they didn't fancy me at all. Maybe on another lifetime they might.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Outside of maybe some Toyota-branded and approved upgrade wheels/tires, (not too radical - maybe one inch bigger diameter than standard, maybe a little wider, maybe stock width) and maybe a set of Bilstien shocks once the stock shocks get tired, I'd be inclined to leave the Camry alone, if you want a dedicated sports car get one (plenty of good Miatas, Corvettes, Mustangs, MR-2, Supra etc. out there)

A modded Camry - lowered, loud exhaust - just seems weird to me. It comes across like a 50-year old lady dressing herself up as if she was 14-16. And getting tats and piercings.

Thank you sir for your comment.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:27 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I figure out what I want on a car, then I buy the car that has what I want. Anyway, I don't get a thrill out of personalizing or customizing cars.
That's how I feel. Even if I was to buy a classic, I would want it to be in as original a condition as possible. As soon as you drop a crate motor in that Austin Healey you kill its resale value.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Posted by Linson;
...there is no such thing as a 1969 Hemi 'Cuda. i get your point, but the Plymouth body style you are likely refering to debuted in 1970:

And the Super Stock allowed Hemi Cudas? Remember they had to have built at least 50 to be allowed in Super Stock. That is why there is no RA V Pontiacs in Super Stock. Over the counter don't count. Not being up on the Mopar stuff, I was sure there were some 69 Cudas with the Hemi.
As for quality of the American cars today, they are every bit as good and actuly better in many cases as the import companies.
Those Super Stock Hemi Cudas (and Darts) were 1968s. There were no 1969 Hemi Cuda (or Darts) but a 440 was available in 1969.

As for the question, as another poster said, it would depend on the car.
One of my cars ('69 Cadillac) is stock-appearing but has dual exhaust, a shift kit and a lower (3.21:1) axle ratio. With these types of cars, I prefer a stock-looking exterior.

With other cars I like ('60s/early 70s muscle cars) I would leave the body stock; maybe put on some wider tires for better traction. But I would probably do some engine mods like install headers and after market carb, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive