Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:15 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Still looking for that civic...could be that black and white blur in the background.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Well let's take my new Civic Coupe. Would I mod it out if it was my only ride and was being realisitic in terms of time/money spent? No. However, I do have my Civic modded. I have HIDs, because I wanted the improved lighting for $100. And, I have a sound system in it, because I have never driven a car w/o one. As far as painting, lowering, rims etc....I don't feel the desire to. The only thing I'd want to "mod" would be all the outside noise, "road noise", coming through and the rattles...but that could have been done with dampening materials. I just don't want to spend the time. FYI the rattles are not caused by my bass or sounds...they were there already.

On the other hand, I have modded all my other cars that I've owned cash. Currently own a modded 96 caprice, dropped real low, sounds, engine mods, exhaust, interior/ext mods...and it sits in the driveway. LOL

I guess if I am making payments on a new car then there are no good reasons to mess with factory settings, other than tint and sounds.

Your 96 Chevy sounds interesting, but why is it just sitting? Have you put the Impala SS/Police car brake system or anti-sway bars on it?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Since I got my new Camry I have been thinking of adding some mods to it. My toy was an 02 Civic Si hatchback which went from a daily driver to a heavily modified little hot rod.

Since the Camry is seen mostly as a family car, I was thinking about upgrading to HID headlights & foglights, set of TRD lowering springs, 18 inch wheels. Intake/exhaust and engine mods (turbo) are optional but I'm willing to go ahead with it.

If you guys had the means, would modify/upgrade your ride?
Probably been answered, but why modify a camry? Or a civic or any modern care for that matter? Most of the modifications you mention above will do little or no performance improvements and you will simply join the embarassing league of kids with fart pipes lawnmower sounding cars that think their car is fast.

If you want to modify a car buy an old cheap fox mustang or late 70's car with a V-8 or at least a chassis that will fit a V-8. Rip the pollution stuff out, add headers a cam and heads, and get some real performance improvements and a 12 second car that will beat 99% of the cars on the street or strip, as opposed to a 15 second car that will struggle to keep up with a 6 cylinder accord.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Probably been answered, but why modify a camry? Or a civic or any modern care for that matter? Most of the modifications you mention above will do little or no performance improvements and you will simply join the embarassing league of kids with fart pipes lawnmower sounding cars that think their car is fast.

If you want to modify a car buy an old cheap fox mustang or late 70's car with a V-8 or at least a chassis that will fit a V-8. Rip the pollution stuff out, add headers a cam and heads, and get some real performance improvements and a 12 second car that will beat 99% of the cars on the street or strip, as opposed to a 15 second car that will struggle to keep up with a 6 cylinder accord.
I agree with what you are getting at but I don't think there's such thing as a cheap (meaning inexepensive) 12 second car that you can also trust as a daily driver.

Most of the guys who would modify a Camry must think (I'm guessing here) they are going to get some sound out of it, drop in some ICE and make it "look faster." That's cheap (except for the ICE maybe), and if he's happy with it, I say game on.

If I knew him, I'd tell him to buy a used S2K (the AP1s are stupid cheap now) and learn to drive in SCCA.

Beauty (and to some extent "performance") is really in the eye of the key holder.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
the woman posing next to the car. here is why. that car has no sex appeal of it's own. that is why, when you see a Muscle Car event, you dont have the skanks posing next to the cars - because the cars dont need them in order to exude sex appeal. the 71 Hemi Cuda (for example) has it's own sex appeal with it's body lines and brute power.
Thats because MOST people who build/attend import shows are young and have an active sex life, whereas MOST people who attend muscle car shows suffer from prostate problems and/or erectile dysfunction, or are flat out too old to care about sex anymore. The only way to get muscle car show attendees to pop wood is to bust out the new GM Performance parts catalog or show off the sweet flame job on your new walker. That is, of course, if they remembered to take their little blue "miracle pill" beforehand.

All in good fun.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I agree with what you are getting at but I don't think there's such thing as a cheap (meaning inexepensive) 12 second car that you can also trust as a daily driver.

Most of the guys who would modify a Camry must think (I'm guessing here) they are going to get some sound out of it, drop in some ICE and make it "look faster." That's cheap (except for the ICE maybe), and if he's happy with it, I say game on.

If I knew him, I'd tell him to buy a used S2K (the AP1s are stupid cheap now) and learn to drive in SCCA.

Beauty (and to some extent "performance") is really in the eye of the key holder.

I disagree about trusting 12 second daily drivers. I've had too many low 12 and mid to high 11 second daily drivers that it never entered my mind to not trust! In fact, my 11 second cars were always extremely dependible! Pontiac 455 and 428's, usually in a 60's Tempest, LeMans, or 67-81 Firebird/Trans Am. I've driven then for 100's of thousands of miles over the last 30 years too including to each coast and Florida, thumb of Mich., Corpus Christi Tx. It can be done, and with high teens in mpg too. My favorite? A 69 Custom S (between a tempest and a LeMans) with a 428. Solid 11.60 @ 116-117 mph car with full a/c and at 80mph got 18 mpg on 91 octane pump gas. That car and engine seen east and west coast shores and nearly everywhere in between. Finally sold it to a friend of mine to help get the money for the 61 Bubbletop Catalina I still have. He still has that Custom S too, but is middle of a frame off restoration on it. Yeah that was a very fun car!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
I am with the others in start with something that performs from the beginning. Suspension and tires is all you need.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
It's up to the individual really....I always do and always have because I enjoy it and on top of that,I get bored VERY easily so it's a hobby too.I shop ebay for my parts and knock on wood,I've never been screwed on there at all in over ten years.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
I modify my vehicles but not much in cosmetic realm. I like to add functionality or improve upon existing features like brakes, suspension, certain engine components, monitoring systems, exterior lighting, programming... etc. Or even change things that I don't think were designed correctly in the first place! Practicality is far more important to me than looks.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I disagree about trusting 12 second daily drivers. I've had too many low 12 and mid to high 11 second daily drivers that it never entered my mind to not trust! In fact, my 11 second cars were always extremely dependible! Pontiac 455 and 428's, usually in a 60's Tempest, LeMans, or 67-81 Firebird/Trans Am. I've driven then for 100's of thousands of miles over the last 30 years too including to each coast and Florida, thumb of Mich., Corpus Christi Tx. It can be done, and with high teens in mpg too. My favorite? A 69 Custom S (between a tempest and a LeMans) with a 428. Solid 11.60 @ 116-117 mph car with full a/c and at 80mph got 18 mpg on 91 octane pump gas. That car and engine seen east and west coast shores and nearly everywhere in between. Finally sold it to a friend of mine to help get the money for the 61 Bubbletop Catalina I still have. He still has that Custom S too, but is middle of a frame off restoration on it. Yeah that was a very fun car!

Yeah but we're talking about a car that is:
- affordable
- dependable
- runs 12s

Unless you get lucky on a deal AND can wrench those cars to get 'em right, you're now in the price range that most younger folks can't touch.

I get your point, but running 12s cost some coin. I was once a huge fan of american muscle too :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive