Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Life is too short to drive minivans!
Here's some more insight ... life is too short to be concerned about what anyone else thinks about what you drive.

Is there a part of me that would rather be flyin' down the road in the '69 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible (383 4-bbl) of my youth? Sure. The thing was huge, and sucked down gas at a high volume, but it could fly. It was my Dad's - his mid-life crisis - but I ended up being the primary driver. Thanks, Dad!

But life goes on, and people's needs change. We got our first minivan for small kids and pets; our second minivan for commuting and pets; and we're keeping that second minivan until the wheels fall off (even though we don't commute anymore, and the kids are grown, and the pets aren't as big or numerous) because for us it's a very practical means of transportation.

Like any other type of vehicle, minivans have their fair share of fans, and I'm one .... but that doesn't mean that a part of me doesn't appreciate a high performance vehicle. I mean, I'm not dead yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM

347 posts, read 1,357,579 times
I dont like minivans. I'd rather drive a SUV.
My wife has been insisting we get a minivan for the 7 seats, so we finally decided that we are going to get a Chevy Traverse or a GMC Acadia

Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
I would never drive an SUV (too big, bad gas mileage, I don't drive in mud or over boulders) so I considered a minivan because we had twins last year and the baby seats only fit in the back of my car if the front seats were all the way forward, which menat my knees against the dash. If not for that, I woulnd't have bought a new car. Anyway, my requirements were that it could easily hold two baby seats, diaper bag, double stroller, get over 30 mpg. and a budget of around $20k. No minivan I could find get 30 mpg. other than I think that little Mazda, but I hated how the front seat felt too low for the steering wheel. I ended up w/a Prius as it fit all my requirements and easily fits into the garage.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:36 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,455 times
Ultimately Minivans are more practicle than SUV's
You always have to STEP UP into an SUV

Having said that they do deserve there UNCOOL factor
as the latest model minivans really are Fugly

Now if VW built the Later day version of the Microbus
(The concept below Got cancelled) I would have
traded in my Pick-up truck for one in no time

http://images.forbes.com/images/2002...us_415x229.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/0...w-microbus.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...w_microbus.jpg

http://www.ltv-vwc.org.uk/wheelspin/...robus_rear.jpg

http://www.vwsites.com/news/news_ima...s_interior.jpg

Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Here's some more insight ... life is too short to be concerned about what anyone else thinks about what you drive.

Is there a part of me that would rather be flyin' down the road in the '69 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible (383 4-bbl) of my youth? Sure. The thing was huge, and sucked down gas at a high volume, but it could fly. It was my Dad's - his mid-life crisis - but I ended up being the primary driver. Thanks, Dad!

But life goes on, and people's needs change. We got our first minivan for small kids and pets; our second minivan for commuting and pets; and we're keeping that second minivan until the wheels fall off (even though we don't commute anymore, and the kids are grown, and the pets aren't as big or numerous) because for us it's a very practical means of transportation.

Like any other type of vehicle, minivans have their fair share of fans, and I'm one .... but that doesn't mean that a part of me doesn't appreciate a high performance vehicle. I mean, I'm not dead yet!
That is why you need a car just for fun. My wife and I have a minivan as the family hauler. I have Camry for commuting. The teenagers have a Subaru Forester for school, work, and skiing. I bought a 71 Olds Cutlass convertible last year, just for fun.... It is stored from October to April and really only comes out on weekends and nice summer nights..... I go to all sort of car shows and meet the nicest people at the shows. If you can do it, get that '69 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible for a fun car. It would make a trip to get milk, pick up kids at lacrosse or something to that effect much more fun....

File:'69 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible (Rigaud).JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
That is why you need a car just for fun. My wife and I have a minivan as the family hauler. I have Camry for commuting. The teenagers have a Subaru Forester for school, work, and skiing. I bought a 71 Olds Cutlass convertible last year, just for fun.... It is stored from October to April and really only comes out on weekends and nice summer nights..... I go to all sort of car shows and meet the nicest people at the shows. If you can do it, get that '69 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible for a fun car. It would make a trip to get milk, pick up kids at lacrosse or something to that effect much more fun....

File:'69 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible (Rigaud).JPG - Wikimedia Commons
She ended up with the convertible.

However, I find the MDX fun to drive. Especially since it has all of these fine gadgets.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I wanted to get a Toyota Sienna but my wife initially wanted an SUV. We bought the SUV and she saw a convertible in the lot - she test drove it and wanted one (so we bought a convertible, also). Anyways, I would have been just as happy with a Sienna Limited.

Why don't people like Minivans? I always hear them called "Loser cars" or POS. However, with the decent gas mileage, lower clearance, and conveniences, I do not understand why they are so hated? Is it some sign of age?
They look boring, pedestrian and like something a person with 6 kids would own, LOL!

In essence the antithesis of success.

In short, success, which equals "Looks and Money" (at least here in the U.S.) wouldn't wear something that looks so practical and working class.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Not sure what the Audi does but the Volvo R wagon does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds with it's manual transmission...that's OK.
Huge V70R fanatic, right here. I lament the under-appreciation of performance estate cars in the US regularly. Looks like a pilot too from that username? Sounds like a man after my own heart.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
They're ugly, but not ugly enough to be cool. What JMadison said.

I'd like a ride with lift, lungs and a winch. :::sigh

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Now if VW built the Later day version of the Microbus
(The concept below Got cancelled) I would have
traded in my Pick-up truck for one in no time
I think it's pretty cool looking but there doesn't appear to be much cargo room behind the 3rd row...and that would be a huge problem for us. We have to haul people AND stuff. When we go on trips we've got every compartment filled and also have a full car top carrier. Now if they added about a foot or two onto the rear for cargo we're in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive