Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:52 PM

799 posts, read 1,446,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Meh. Used to. Living in NC - The Land of No Blinkers - has me used to the practice.

Also, my doctor diagnosed high blood pressure and I'm on those freakin' huge Omega 3 fish oil tablets to treat the high triglyceride level in my blood. I've taken to calling them fish eggs rather fish pills. So, I'm learning to take a Zen approach to life. Slow down, leave more distance in front, quite acting like the road should be traveled warrior style. There's nothin' out there so bad that I have to blow a gasket.

It is pretty strange that so few people in our state use blinkers. The only time I ever see blinkers is when I'm riding down an interstate. They don't work anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 03:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,171,988 times
In San Jose turn signals are pretty much optional. I use them purely to avoid unnecessary tickets. If they don't use them, they'll usually at least ride the edge of the lane so you can see their next move coming, which as far as I'm concerned is equivalent to signaling.

I'm more concerned with people who cut in line, whether they signal or not. If I've just sat for 10 minutes at the timing lights or to get through the intersection, I'm NOT going to let you in, I don't care how much you honk. Make a U-turn and get in line with everyone else.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
You know who infuriates me more than people who don't use their turn signals?

Those who use your turn signal as their cue to punch the accelerator and close the gap you're trying to move into.

Around here, using your turn signal may create a more dangerous situation than not using it. If I'm turning, I use it. If there's a substantial gap in the lane I'm trying to move into, I use it. If it's a small gap, I don't turn it on until I'm already 1/3rd of the way into the lane. Otherwise half the time I end up basically having to dare the person to hit me if I want to move over a lane.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:49 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,387,862 times
Not to appear stoic, but I really try not to care what others do. Live and let die. I don't use my signals either, unless someone is directly affected by my turn. Usually, I keep my lane changing seemingly random. Helps my fellow drivers maintain alertness! Besides, my signals have a subliminal message that says, "Pass This Side Now". The one thing I can't forgive is... I hate when people brake, change lanes, and then signal. Here's your sign!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,793,568 times
Yes it ticks me off when people dont use their signals, especially when I could have already gone by the time it takes their slow butts to turn.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 PM

9,440 posts, read 11,195,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Cat, Cat, Cat .....

First, you have to understand why some of us refuse to use our signals. you know me - I'm a native Californian. Have pretty much ALWAYS used my turn signals. Didn't have any reason not to.

Then, I moved to Texas - home of the rudest drivers I've ever seen anywhere in the world - and I've traveled extensively. I had California plates on my car while in Texas (I wasn't there that long). In Texas, if you are a Californian and you signal your intent to change lanes or exit the freeway, they speed up and will not let you make your lane change. Texas is where I learned NOT to use my turn signals. You NEVER want to tip off the enemy to your next move.

Now that I'm back in California, the use of my turn signals has been restored.
Weird. I've driven in some hostile areas but I don't recall that when in TX.
A good friend said her husband never uses his, sign of weakness to other predators don't ya know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
That's where the .50 caliber comes in handy.
I like sidewinders. Right up the old exhaust pipe! Yaaayyy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
In Boston, the use of blinkers is a sign of character weakness....

I got pulled over in NH a couple of weeks ago for not using a turn signal. It was at a red light and I was in the right turn lane which has to turn right. He gave me a warning...
I always used them in the NH-MA axis of craziness. I haven't been near Boston since getting stuck going to the airport around 92 or 94, forget exactly. Sitting in a car looking at the back of someone's head 20 feet away...loses the thrill after a while.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,664,842 times
ha! There is a lot of road rage out there! I can see why. I drive too! Those roads are crazy.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:47 AM

303 posts, read 846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Cat, Cat, Cat .....

First, you have to understand why some of us refuse to use our signals. you know me - I'm a native Californian. Have pretty much ALWAYS used my turn signals. Didn't have any reason not to.

Then, I moved to Texas - home of the rudest drivers I've ever seen anywhere in the world - and I've traveled extensively. I had California plates on my car while in Texas (I wasn't there that long). In Texas, if you are a Californian and you signal your intent to change lanes or exit the freeway, they speed up and will not let you make your lane change. Texas is where I learned NOT to use my turn signals. You NEVER want to tip off the enemy to your next move.

Now that I'm back in California, the use of my turn signals has been restored.
When I put on my blinker, I was allowed to move over only about 10% of the time, and my car has Texas license plates. I imagine if I had CA plates, that figure would probably be around 1%.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,731,187 times
Four times within 5 miles...this morning...thought about this post.
BMW X5..doing at least 80 in 60mph traffic, changing w/ no blinkers..woman
Range Rover...guy
Lexus sedan...woman
BMW sedan...woman

Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM

7,004 posts, read 21,351,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Four times within 5 miles...this morning...thought about this post.
BMW X5..doing at least 80 in 60mph traffic, changing w/ no blinkers..woman
Range Rover...guy
Lexus sedan...woman
BMW sedan...woman

Wenches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive