Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hmmm... I would think, by the way some people here talk, that "the professionals" never did things like that to cars.

That said, I'd say they're trying to be fair. And at least they were honest about what happened, which is a whole lot more than a lot of places would have been.

I think you should be alright.

Also, if they want to charge you for the tune-up you went in for, that might not be such a bad deal. You were going to pay it anyway.

I agree with that. Mistakes happen, and they're doing whats fair, IMO. New plugs at 60K is not a bad investment either. Especially if they're out when finding TDC, like was mentioned. I've seen the best of the best ASE Master mechanics have stupid accidents like dropping a screw somewhere, but I'd still trust them with any car I own. Not all techs are that good either though..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I guess they don;'t have crate engines like for many cars which are reasonable and actually like new from the factory itself.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wow, way to not answer the question by delivering a condescending lecture instead.
I did not mean to be condescending. But the OP can surely learn from this experience that it wasn't a good idea to get the timing belt changed on vacation in Florida. That's like having knee surgery right before doing the Boston Marathon.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,651 times
Give kuddos to the shop for being honest. Mistakes happen, and unfortunately you're in the middle of one. At least you have an honest shop to deal with--other explanations could have (literally) ranged from alien invaders to overprobing... (Think I'm kidding? I've worked in all capacities in the automotive world--not for nothing is the mantra among car dealers, buyers are liars."

Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I did not mean to be condescending. But the OP can surely learn from this experience that it wasn't a good idea to get the timing belt changed on vacation in Florida. That's like having knee surgery right before doing the Boston Marathon.
I guess. The way I see it is that changing a timing belt should be a routine task for a competent shop -- this should be more like having warts removed before doing the Boston Marathon. I've had a timing belt changed three states away before -- it was simply more convenient to have it done there -- and it didn't involve any drama. Then again, I had it done at a shop I knew was reputable before I let them touch it.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I guess they don;'t have crate engines like for many cars which are reasonable and actually like new from the factory itself.
Are you referring to what they often call a "Texas Long Block"? thos are for people who are going to sell the car. They use cheap parts and the engines do not tend to last long.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
I think he is refering to a "Target Engine". GM sells target engines, and Ford has them too, under a different name.
they are brand new engines designed for replacing a worn out or boown engine. They are factory built and carry a better warrantee than the engine in the vehicle came with.
I used to buy a lot of Target transmissions for our Police cars.
The trans in the new vehicle was warranteed for 36k, the targets we replaced them with was waranteed for 50 k. That is important in a Police car that goes through transmissions like their free....
Never heard of a Texas long block, but then, I've never been in Texas...!!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
OKAY MISTER EXPERT.. YOU TELL ME WHAT SHOULD I HAVE DONE! Did you not read my post above? Okay let me summarize it for you clearly:

I live in Canada and brought the car with me to Canada from when I lived in the US. The car is a US model. Saab USA pays for my first timing belt change at 60k.. GM Canada told me they will NOT pay for my timing belt change and that if I wanted it done for free (under warranty) to take it to ANY dealer in the US. Sooooo from where I live in Canada.. ANY TRIP to get my free timing belt would entail a long distance trip across a border. P E R I O D.

You tell me what I should have done since you are obviously an expert in providing unwarranted advice. I would really like to know what I should have done differently for future reference. I'm sure you also know all about shipping cars across the border and back.

Now to get back on topic.. does the value of a vehicle diminish if the engine has been replaced with another used engine?

Last edited by minibrings; 04-21-2009 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
no unfortunately they do not seem to have crate engines for Saabs. Its either they install a brand new one or they get a used one and do some reconditioning.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Now to get back on topic.. does the value of a vehicle diminish if the engine has been replaced with another used engine?
I wouldn't think so, unless the car is a collectible on which matching numbers are important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands