Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:38 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,657 times

Advertisements

We're considering buying a new car, and thinking about a Mazda 6, but also thinking about a Ford Fusion. Anyone out there a Mazda 6 or Ford Fusion owner?? I'm talking about the '09 models - fyi.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You may already know this but just in case you don't... they are basically the same car with different body panels and some differences in feature content here and there. The chassis tuning may be a little different too. I much prefer the styling of the Mazda myself... but in general, they're solid, well-built cars that offer good value for the price.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You may already know this but just in case you don't... they are basically the same car with different body panels and some differences in feature content here and there. The chassis tuning may be a little different too. I much prefer the styling of the Mazda myself... but in general, they're solid, well-built cars that offer good value for the price.
The OP is asking about '09's. The '09 Mazda6 is the revised platform, the '09 Fusion/Milan is the old platform. I think the '10 Fusion/Milan, which are based on the new platform, are available now though.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I agree with Drover. I do not think, however, that the Mazda 6 will come in hybrid, so with gas prices climbing back up and likely to continue oscillating between 4+$ and 2.75$ a gallon, I'd go with a hybrid.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I agree with Drover. I do not think, however, that the Mazda 6 will come in hybrid, so with gas prices climbing back up and likely to continue oscillating between 4+$ and 2.75$ a gallon, I'd go with a hybrid.
To get a hybrid, the OP would need to buy a 2010 model. The old 2009 Fusion, as indicated previously, doesn't come in a hybrid because it is the old model that is based upon the 2003-2008 Mazda6.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:06 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
To get a hybrid, the OP would need to buy a 2010 model. The old 2009 Fusion, as indicated previously, doesn't come in a hybrid because it is the old model that is based upon the 2003-2008 Mazda6.
LOL! I agree with you.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 AM

Hey folks - thanks for all the posts!

FYI - we've pretty much ruled out a hybrid because of cost (and because I hate the Earth). It's just too much up front for our current car-buying budget, and I really don't want to get a teeny tiny hybrid because I work in the fundraising industry (irony, anyone??) and sometimes have to drive VIP donors around.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I need a decent sized sedan, relatively fuel efficient and inexpensive, with some style (so that it doesn't look like I'm driving an inexpensive car). Everything I've read points me to the Mazda, but I currently drive a Ford (which has been one of the best cars I've ever owned), so I don't want to rule that out.

I'm also looking for a barn-burner deal, which is why we're headed towards the '09 rather than spankin' new '10s. We figured the dealerships will be more motivated to move their '09 stock. I've also heard it's more savvy to go car buying at the end of the month when the dealers are desperate to up their quota numbers before the month closes out. My husband used to be in computer sales, so we know there is a certain amount of truth to that.

Any other thoughts??

Thanks again!!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
The Mazda is built in Michigan and the Ford is built in Mexico. Just FYI.

My 4cyl '03 Mazda6i, bought new, now with about 54K miles, hasn't had any real parts failures. Basic maintenance, the sun visor was replaced under warranty at 1500 miles, it got a new battery last winter just in case, and about a year ago the radio display started losing some pixelation (but it's just a bit so we can't count that as a real "failure" ) and that is it.

Granted that is the old model, but in my experience the model has been reliable. Personally if I was buying new I'd lean toward the Ford because it's still on the old platform. The new 6 got bigger, heavier, etc. I don't want bigger (though the Fusion was stretched and widened over the original 6 anyway)

Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
FYI - we've pretty much ruled out a hybrid because of cost (and because I hate the Earth). It's just too much up front for our current car-buying budget, and I really don't want to get a teeny tiny hybrid because I work in the fundraising industry (irony, anyone??) and sometimes have to drive VIP donors around.
I may address more points of your post later, but know that a Fusion Hybrid is the exact same size as the regular Fusion. It's a standard, mid-sized family sedan just like an Accord or Camry. VIP donors would not be the least bit put out riding in a Fusion, hybrid or otherwise.

That said, there's no getting over the fact that the Fusion hybrid is an expensive ride. Plus as someone mentioned it's not available on the 2009 model.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
VIP donors would not be the least bit put out riding in a Fusion, hybrid or otherwise.
I should have clarified - donors in TEXAS, where EVERYTHING is bigger.

The last donor I rode with was in a Ford F150 Extended Cab King Ranch... and the one before that was in a Cadillac Escalade...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive