Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:15 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,271 times

Advertisements

Not to say I did anything illeagle but
Did a bit of street running myself on Long Island and Queens
Anyone of you remember
The "NorthWind" Red/White/Blue 68 Nova SS 496 BB, liberty box, 4 link rear. Also ran B/Gas at National speedway.
Be safe out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 03:25 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
There are hundreds of other things that can be done to get attention without destroying extremely valuable cars that often times aren't even being produced anymore.

I can't see how anyone who holds even a remote interest in cars could see some classic car from the 60's or 70's get crushed because of an idiot owner and NOT think there was anything wrong with that situation.

That should be of no deterrence at all as the cars would simply have to be made street legal before they could be registered. California already does.
These are not classic cars, most are rice rockets, and most are modded up with engines that are illegal in the US. Many are filled with stolen parts to boot..!

Old 06-13-2009, 03:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Here is a statistic to absorb:
Total drunk-driving death in the U.S. this year (so far)...

5,823 (as of 1:30 PM EDT today)

Drunk driving statistics

I'd rather have a street racer next to me than a drunk driver; I would be safer (unless the street racer is drunk).
The two go hand in hand. Many of the drunks who crash are racing when they crash. Nothing makes your car faster than a couple of six packs...!
Alcohal removes any remaining common sense one might have had....
...and, replacing one for the other doesn't make a lot of sense, it just give you a choice how you prefer to die. If you prefer to get killed by a street racer rathen than a drunk driver, that is your choice...!

Old 06-13-2009, 03:34 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The two go hand in hand. Many of the drunks who crash are racing when they crash. Nothing makes your car faster than a couple of six packs...!
Alcohal removes any remaining common sense one might have had....
...and, replacing one for the other doesn't make a lot of sense, it just give you a choice how you prefer to die. If you prefer to get killed by a street racer rathen than a drunk driver, that is your choice...!
Don't know if it applies now, but back in the '60s, serious street racers discouraged the use of drugs and alcohol when street racing.

And, as a rule, neither were present at such races.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:30 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Modified engines with stolen parts?

Let me see now...where can I steal a performance cam?
Let me see now...where can I steal a NOS?
Let me see now...where can I steal some big valve heads?
Let me see now...where can I steal a Turbo setup for my engine?
Let me see now...where can I steal a stroker crank?

Give me a break...that stuff is all bought legal or else someone is doing a CHOP shop with stolen cars.

New of a Chop shop in Ventura county that was stripping stolen Porsches from LA area. They were in a Industrial area and the neighbor shops noticed that the people were always working nights and never in the daytime.

I would venture all those hopped up cars are people in their 30's to 50's that would race at the strip.

Younger people in ricers are the ones who drive to show off the street legal cars and will street race.

Yes...there are some with hopped up cars that will race ILLEGALLY on the street in places all over the country.

Blame that mostly on the elimination of many of the former race tracks which were an outlet.

Big difference between the two intelligent levels.

Steve

Old 06-13-2009, 05:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I lived next to a street racer. All thru the night he and friends would race in front of his house. Night after night I would call the police begging them to shut them down. Never once would they come out. These A-holes were confrontational and threatened me repeatedly even when I was wearing a pistol. Nothing will encourage me to believe these racers have more intelligence than a rodent.

I love racing, many of my friends are stock car racers and I am usually in the pit with them. But these are professional drivers not the want a bees.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I completely disagree. Why destroy valuable (and potentially rare) vehicles? That sacrilegious to car guys like myself.

If you want to confiscate the cars, fine, but they should be sold just like any other impounds.
It is just a car, at one point some scrap metal melted down to make it, and it needs to go full cycle. If it is so precious to the owner, or valuable don't race it on the streets, a simple concept.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Here is a statistic to absorb:
Total drunk-driving death in the U.S. this year (so far)...

5,823 (as of 1:30 PM EDT today)

Drunk driving statistics

I'd rather have a street racer next to me than a drunk driver; I would be safer (unless the street racer is drunk).
Drunks are in the lead for the simple reason there are many more drunk drivers.

Fold their deadly toys into a cube of scrap mental.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Drunks are in the lead for the simple reason there are many more drunk drivers.

Fold their deadly toys into a cube of scrap mental.
Which shows that drunk drivers are much more dangerous than street racers due to their sheer numbers.
If they want to crush rice cars, I am all for it!

Not '60s/early '70s muscle cars, though.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:23 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It is just a car
Sorry, it's much more than that. They are no different than historic buildings, and we don't destroy those when their owner uses them to commit a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive