Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,142,947 times

Advertisements

Bought me a 2004 Explorer NBX. That stands for "No Boundaries Experience" and was a little gimmick they had way back when for an "off-road" Explorer package, with skid plates and heavy-duty springs and whatnot. (Actually, not too sure about the "whatnot" - might just be the springs and skid plates!). Anyhoo, it has Michelin LTX M/S tires on it (P245/65/R17). No complaints, really, except.... well, this is a 4x4. With an off-road package. I think it's a little embarrassed that it doesn't have all-terrain tires on it. But since the Michelins are brand spanking new, I was hoping maybe the tire place might give me a discount on new AT's if I let them keep the Michelins?

Whaddya think? Any chance they'll give me anything for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 06:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
hmm best be is to go see what they say might take a small loss on them though.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:49 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,904,578 times
Better off selling them yourself on Craigslist or eBay.

But yes your tires do have value, don't just give them away--many places sell used tires.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Looking at the price I have paid for takeoff at a dealers from brand new tires off a new truck;I'd say not much really.If they are used it depends on now new really.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:59 AM

89 posts, read 527,110 times
If you go to a big service center, or chain, they have no value to them. They will give them back to you so that you may sell them if you ask.

If you go to a local place that sells good used tires, then yes. Most places that sell used tires are pretty crappy, but there are some better ones, especially if they specialize in performance applications. Call around for these types.

Otherwise, as mentioned, just sell them on craigslist

Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Bought me a 2004 Explorer NBX. That stands for "No Boundaries Experience" and was a little gimmick they had way back when for an "off-road" Explorer package, with skid plates and heavy-duty springs and whatnot. (Actually, not too sure about the "whatnot" - might just be the springs and skid plates!). Anyhoo, it has Michelin LTX M/S tires on it (P245/65/R17). No complaints, really, except.... well, this is a 4x4. With an off-road package. I think it's a little embarrassed that it doesn't have all-terrain tires on it. But since the Michelins are brand spanking new, I was hoping maybe the tire place might give me a discount on new AT's if I let them keep the Michelins?

Whaddya think? Any chance they'll give me anything for them?
Go to a tire shop and see what they'll give you for them, in trade on a new set of tires. I would bet that they'd give you (maybe) $10-$15 per tire, trade.

The problem with selling them on eBay or Craigslist is the mounting and balancing. Unless a person has the equipment to do that themselves, they'd have to pay to have it done - and that's likely to run $20 per tire. So those people aren't going to give you much for the tires.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 AM

674 posts, read 2,552,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I think it's a little embarrassed that it doesn't have all-terrain tires on it. But since the Michelins are brand spanking new,
Meh, just keep your current tires until you wear them out.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:45 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
At the very least get those POS tires off the Explorer. Used to drive an 04 with those same tires on it and it handled like garbage. Brand new tires and it was worse than the set I replaced, took them off and went with a brand I had never heard of because I trusted my tire dealer. Night and Day! I'll NEVER put a set of Michelin LTX M/S on another vehicle. The ones I did end up with and are very Happy with? GT Radial's. Wear like iron and give great road manners, as well as better dirt traction than a lot of others I have owned over the years. I WILL buy more of these when I need to replace them.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
I buy used tires on my car. Look on google for a tire shop that sells used tires. You won't get a ton for them though, probably better off on CL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive