Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times

Advertisements

Just saw this interesting study from chaos theory physicists -
PhysicsCentral: Buzz Blog

To sum it up, it found that when the mix of "good" and "bad" drivers is 60/40, traffic flows best. Too many "good" drivers and things bog down, but enough "bad" drivers work to unclog the good drivers and keep things moving smoothly on the roads.

"Bad" behavior that is considered beneficial includes speeding, passing, and frequent lane changes as well as merging later so as not to become stuck behind "good" drivers. The only "bad" behavior that was truly detrimental was tailgating, so don't tailgate, pass that slow "good" driver!

One thing I noticed from the write up is the conditions of the test, with the "good" subjects spread across the whole test area, its just like "good" slow drivers being in the fast and passing lanes, forcing "bad" drivers to go around by passing on the right, speeding up to pass, etc. I wonder what a study would have shown if there were clear lanes for "bad" fast drivers to use that weren't clogged up by "good" slow drivers? Since the model had "bad" drivers choosing the past of least resistance, I'd imagine they'd all default to the open fast lanes and violate less laws.

The study looks at what's best for moving traffic along, but doesn't study speed's effect on this mix, or severity of crashes if they occur by mix or speed - definitely something that should be studied in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Just saw this interesting study from chaos theory physicists -
PhysicsCentral: Buzz Blog

To sum it up, it found that when the mix of "good" and "bad" drivers is 60/40, traffic flows best. Too many "good" drivers and things bog down, but enough "bad" drivers work to unclog the good drivers and keep things moving smoothly on the roads.

"Bad" behavior that is considered beneficial includes speeding, passing, and frequent lane changes as well as merging later so as not to become stuck behind "good" drivers. The only "bad" behavior that was truly detrimental was tailgating, so don't tailgate, pass that slow "good" driver!

One thing I noticed from the write up is the conditions of the test, with the "good" subjects spread across the whole test area, its just like "good" slow drivers being in the fast and passing lanes, forcing "bad" drivers to go around by passing on the right, speeding up to pass, etc. I wonder what a study would have shown if there were clear lanes for "bad" fast drivers to use that weren't clogged up by "good" slow drivers? Since the model had "bad" drivers choosing the past of least resistance, I'd imagine they'd all default to the open fast lanes and violate less laws.

The study looks at what's best for moving traffic along, but doesn't study speed's effect on this mix, or severity of crashes if they occur by mix or speed - definitely something that should be studied in the future.
MAN!!!! If we could just get the Illinois State Troopers to understand that now

Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,835 times
Im am definitely a "bad" driver. I cant stand when people are in my way for no discernible reason. MOVE!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,384 times
Just follow my two laws of driving:
  1. Get the hell out of my way,
  2. Don't hit me!@$%
These work in almost all situations.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,588 times
I don't buy it. No matter what you do (obey or break the laws and "rules" of driving) it only takes ONE driver who follows too close or cuts someone off to send a chain reaction backwards that screws up the flow.

There's plenty of research and studies out there to read, and all of them point to systemic problems with volume, proper intervals and braking rather than anticipating and slowing.

I was afforded the opportunity to visit the traffic control center in DC a few times, and it was amazing.

Thanks for the link though. I'll read the whole thing later. I'm no expert, but this field of study is interesting. I'll see if I can find a link to the study in Japan about how people don't know how to slow down rather than apply brakes. It's a good read (and there are similar ones from Europe and the US out there.)

I think use cell phones and other mobile communication devices are the biggest problem we could solve easily. But big brother waited too late to address the problem. Now whatever happens is going to be heavy handed.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:05 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,432 times
If it defines 'good' drivers as the morons that sit in the fast lane and block traffic, then I would have to agree. But I define them as 'bad' drivers. See: http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...lane-hogs.html

I work with CHP officers quite often, and they tend to agree, they want traffic to flow. They also agree that tailgating is bad. When American (an other) drivers do not know the meaning of, or heed, a headlight flash and do not yield, it promotes tailgating.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
A guy I know used to claim that hypothesis and that he actually helped traffic by tailgaiting and zipping in and out with multiple lane changes per mile, since he felt that he was maximizing the surface area of the freeway. Well, all was fine until he smashed into someone who had to stop suddenly because of another traffic helper who had cut them off. It's an interesting hypothesis, but one cannot objectively determine when the tipping point has been reached between good and bad drivers.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
If it defines 'good' drivers as the morons that sit in the fast lane and block traffic, then I would have to agree. But I define them as 'bad' drivers. See: http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...lane-hogs.html

I work with CHP officers quite often, and they tend to agree, they want traffic to flow. They also agree that tailgating is bad. When American (an other) drivers do not know the meaning of, or heed, a headlight flash and do not yield, it promotes tailgating.
It can get you a ticket here,but I haven't heard of any being issued.

State "keep right" laws

Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
It can be true when a freeway narrows one lane (say 3 lanes to 2). The "good" drivers get over early, while the "bad" drivers use the entire 3rd lane and merge at the end of it. That maximizes use of the roadway.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
I don't buy it. No matter what you do (obey or break the laws and "rules" of driving) it only takes ONE driver who follows too close or cuts someone off to send a chain reaction backwards that screws up the flow.

It also only takes one idiot going too slow in the passing/left lane to create miles of backed up traffic behind him. I have a 50 mile round trip commute, and I see this causing traffic problems WAY more often than accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive