Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 01:21 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times

Advertisements

Long story short...my truck's manual trans started making noises that best described as "rocks being flung around inside the trans case" when you'd let off the clutch until it was fully engaged. All of you pin pointed it to the throw out bearing.

Had the entire clutch, pressure plate, clutch disc, throw out bearing, pilot bushing, etc. replaced and the flywheel resurfaced.

The noise is still there, not as bad, oh and when you push in the clutch it makes a clunk, let off it makes a clunk, and if you put it in neutral idling when hot the gravel sounds come back until the clutch is pushed in. It DOES NOT do the gravel noises when cold and the clunking is not as bad.

Someone told me on the input shaft if it's pitted or rusted or dirty, then the throw out bearing would get caught on it and make noises or it would be slamming forward/backward which is the clunking I'm hearing.

I've already checked the U joints and they're fine.

Does it sound like the throw out bearing is getting hung up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 03:36 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
It would really help if we knew the particular year, make, model, engine, and trans ....

But I have seen this type of continuing clutch problem, with the "clunk" noises ... after a catastrophic clutch failure, which was the cause for replacing the clutch ... because a tech didn't notice that either the clutch arm was cracked/flexing or the pivot point for it was loose/broken in the bell housing, resulting in a very erratic throw-out bearing movement. Also, I've seen the wrong clutch disc or pplate installed as part of a full replacement, or a defective disc or pplate ... cause these types of problems.

The diagnosis is going to be very dependent upon the specific vehicle and the details of the installation.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
It would really help if we knew the particular year, make, model, engine, and trans ....
Oops, sorry. 1991 Chevy S-10 4X4....4.3 liter engine, 5 speed manual trans

Old 08-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Oh and I believe that trans is either the NV3500 or the Getrag 290.....it's NOT a Borg-Warner T5...

Old 08-16-2009, 04:28 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Sound like maybe a drive line moving in and out when the clutch is engaged and disengaged or a torque on the engine/trans mount.

I would put the truck on a hoist and have someone start the engine and engage the clutch while standing underneath to the side listening and observing any movement.

The noise would be more noticable this way.

Surprised that the shop did not do this first before doing all the clutch work. May not have needed all the replacement done...then again I did not see the old parts.

Any small nut or bolt would have left some evidence of nicks in the bell housing etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive