Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,686 times

Advertisements

I live in the city so I don't own a car, but I get a rental car about 6 times a year for things like weekend trips.

So as a non-car owner, I'm confused about what to do about rental car insurance. I know that most people rely on their regular car's insurance to cover them on rental cars, but as a non-car owner, I have a few options...
  • Use my credit card's (Amex blue) built-in rental car coverage.
  • Buy coverage by the day through the rental car co's (which I think is over-priced).
  • or buy non-owner coverage through a regular insurance company.

Which would you all suggest?

background info: I'm in my mid-20s, w/ a good driving record (no tickets/accidents ever).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
i'd say if your AMEX already covers rental car ins, and since you need to use a cc anyway, that may be your best bet

Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
The credit card will cover any damage to the car, but there will be some drama before it's all said and done. If you are just renting for a few days, a few times per year, it may be worth the money to go on and buy the "loss/damage waiver" insurance that the rental company offers.

Sometimes when I have a trip to a city were I think the risk of damage to the car is pretty high, I prefer to just rent a car, get the loss/damage waiver, and use that instead of one of the cars I own free and clear. If some nimrod hits your older car, even if it's witnessed by a whole convention of cops and judges, even if the nimrod has insurance, you still have to beat every last dime out of the bums, constantly they try to lowball every aspect of your case. While if you had a rental car with loss/damage waiver "on", you essentially walk away, they bring you another car, bada-bing, bada-boom.

I congratulate you on having the sense to rent rather than buy a car for occasional use there in DC.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I congratulate you on having the sense to rent rather than buy a car for occasional use there in DC.
Thanks! When I did the math, I realized that it didn't make sense for me to own a car...so I usually use zipcar for the occasional quick 1 or 2 hour trips (i.e. buying larger/awkwardly sized stuff that wouldn't fit on the Metro). Zipcar is great for these trips, b/c it's about $8/hr...and that actually includes insurance (and gas). But zipcars can be pricey when rented for a whole weekend...ends up being about $85/day.

So I guess my dilemma is what to do for 2-3 day weekend trips (usually from DC to central PA or Philly burbs):

Zipcar
$85/day
includes gas+insurance

Enterprise/Hertz/reg. car rental company:
$35/day
doesn't include gas or insurance

hmmm....any thoughts?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
See if your credit card offers rental insurance - that is best. You can get a waiver from the rental company, but some times these waivers are 50% the rental price for the day.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:26 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
Thanks! When I did the math, I realized that it didn't make sense for me to own a car...so I usually use zipcar for the occasional quick 1 or 2 hour trips (i.e. buying larger/awkwardly sized stuff that wouldn't fit on the Metro). Zipcar is great for these trips, b/c it's about $8/hr...and that actually includes insurance (and gas). But zipcars can be pricey when rented for a whole weekend...ends up being about $85/day.

So I guess my dilemma is what to do for 2-3 day weekend trips (usually from DC to central PA or Philly burbs):

Zipcar
$85/day
includes gas+insurance

Enterprise/Hertz/reg. car rental company:
$35/day
doesn't include gas or insurance

hmmm....any thoughts?
Well, how much is the comparable insurance on the Enterprise car?

How much is gas, usually? What's your typical trip add up to in miles?

I own a lot of older, paid-off cars, do all my own maintenance, etc. so it does not cost me anything like $85/day to run a car. But, I contribute a good bit of "sweat equity" to the equation, for $85 you just drive like a rich kid having bummed Dad's car and credit card.

If you have several credit cards and can afford to have the one you put the car on "go south" on you for a while, you may be willing to stand that risk. As I understand it, the credit card will indeed cover damage to the car you rent, but, there is typically some drama involved before the cc company makes the rental car company whole.

Maybe someone will post up who has actually wrecked a rental car and used the credit card insurance. I have not.

Beyond that, I can just say it's an effiecent market, the rental car companies all charge about the same per day, and the same for loss/damange waiver, if they are truly charging too much, there is a business opportunity waiting for someone.

One possible alternative - the "Ugly Duck" or "Rent a Wreck" type rental car companies - the standard rental outfits are offering what is essentially a new car, the alternatives offer older cars with some wear on them for less. Assuming you can find one around DC.

I have to hand it to you, you are playing the game smart and trying to play it smarter - good on ya!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
When I rent one, I just tell them I am using my own insurance.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
The credit car covers the car, but not liability, so that's the added expense of SLI at the rental desk. Credit cards offer protection, depending upon the card, etc., but they are pains in the neck from whom to get reimbursement, and many times they do not cover loss of use. One thing to remember is that the rental car company cares only about its vehicle and the vehicle's ability to return profit. As such, the fees for the waiver for full or partial LDW are not insurance per se, but contractual agreements as to the amount of damages to be assessed against the renter in the event of a loss, regardless of fault.

Carrying your own non-owner policy will allow you to use a friend's car and have liability insurance, for example, and will cover you in a rental car too. It can be less expensive, but it depends upon how many times you need to purchase LDW and SLI.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

If you have several credit cards and can afford to have the one you put the car on "go south" on you for a while, you may be willing to stand that risk. As I understand it, the credit card will indeed cover damage to the car you rent, but, there is typically some drama involved before the cc company makes the rental car company whole.

Maybe someone will post up who has actually wrecked a rental car and used the credit card insurance. I have not.
I have had several rental agents in various locations/companies use the following "line" to try and push their coverage ( which I have refused ): "that you are not only liable for the damage, but also the loss of rental income for each day that car is out of service".
Thankfully i've never been put to the test, but if that is all true and one doesn't have any coverage on their own, then the daily charge thru the rental company in fact may make the most sense. If nothing else, it's piece of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive