Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:23 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,765 times

Advertisements

Let us take this as an example of wrong info that was challenged and not owned up to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noname1
Ford F250 turning radius is: Turning radius is almost 52 feet.

Suburban turning radius is: Turning radius is 21.5 '

I see this a big difference in turning radius don't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noname2
I call bull**** on those stats, you either mistyped or you are on crack!

Quote:
Nope, Straight off the net. Why not provide you own figures instead of disrespecting mine?

Like they say....no guts , no glory.

Now, where are your stats?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noname3
Way, way off on the Ford. For '09 it's 23.8' for the 4x2 / 23.1' for the 4x4.
VS...
22.7' for the '09 2500 Suburban.

edit: since it looks like you want to be an ass about it:
2009 Ford F-250 Specs
2009 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 Specs

Think about it... WTF would have a turning radius of 52 feet? An actual bus? 104 feet in diameter to do a circle???
Quote:
Why get all uptight over turning radius? This thread is about Subrubans etc. not turning radius. I know what I read and will not comment further in this thread unless it's on topic once again. Sorry to disappoint those that want to nit pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noname4
Dude...you spouted off a turn radius that was completely out of line. You were the first to meantion 'turn radius'....and in the same post you said the F-250's turn radius was double that of the 'burban...clearly incorrect...stated your source as 'the internet'...which was easily to discredit...because we all have the internet at our fingertips and now you're asking why dude is 'uptight' over turn radius.
Quote:
Yawn! Whatever............

I still know what I found on the net about these two vehicles turning radius.

So can we move on now?
Noname1 never owned up to clearly bad info, but tried to deflect it.

Noname2 did not handle it very well, but was clearly trying to clear up bad info.

Noname3 came in with the facts including links and set the record straight.

Noname4 was clearly frustrated by Noname1's inability to simply own up to a simple mistake and his obvious deflection of the issue.

To make this all better, Noname1 could have just said: "oops, I was mistaken, thanks for pointing that out." and the thread would have gone on with good corrected info.

There are a ton of such exchanges here that seem a bit infantile (if entertaining in small doses) that could be handled better for those that are looking for correct info.

That is the point of this thread.

Last edited by deepcynic; 12-18-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
That said... its always a little fun to have a little bit of "excited" debate once and a while.

What's great about this forum though is that you can pretty much ask ANYTHING auto related, and there is at least 1 or 2 people that are experts on the subject. That is something that is almost never found on vehicle specific forums.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
That said... its always a little fun to have a little bit of "excited" debate once and a while.
Oh, I absolutely agree with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
great about this forum though is that you can pretty much ask ANYTHING auto related, and there is at least 1 or 2 people that are experts on the subject. That is something that is almost never found on vehicle specific forums.
I agree with the first part of that, but on the second part...

I guess it depends on the forum.

The IH forum that I frequent has many more than one or two experts consistently. They have helped me resurrect my project. And, they will (almost always) own up to mistakes when they are shown to be wrong.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:52 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Yep, me too las vegas drunk, and owning up to mistakes is part of engaging in civil discourse.

I believe you and I have even had run ins, but hopefully we can continue to learn and learn from each other. (I saw the pic of your engine compartment and could see that you take good care of that car.)

That is part of why I think it is in everyones best interest to correct non-factual posts, to help everyone learn something.
We did, but it is water under the bridge, and has been completely forgotten. The fun thing about this forum is we can learn from one another. Everyone has their preferences in cars, and we can all share it although we disagree a lot. I am glad to have become a member of this forum, and I continue to learn new facts in the automotive forum daily.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:54 PM

47 posts, read 103,723 times
I stop by here from time to time because I do not know a lot about cars and dont have a lot of money so I need to figure stuff out for myself. I have found answeres here and also been confused. I think it good that people that know more correct wrong stuff.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus_the_second View Post
I stop by here from time to time because I do not know a lot about cars and dont have a lot of money so I need to figure stuff out for myself. I have found answeres here and also been confused. I think it good that people that know more correct wrong stuff.
Thats how I got hooked on automotive work... I hate wasting my nickles and dimes!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:49 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Correcting misinformation isn't bad manners, it's polite. Ofcourse there are ways to go about it, and I'm in no way perfect in my ways, but I try to correct information with the appropriate level of respect. If I'm attacked instead of my post, I might very well bite back (nonconstructive as it might be), but I try and limit it, and simply argue the information.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:18 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Let us take this as an example of wrong info that was challenged and not owned up to:

Noname1 never owned up to clearly bad info, but tried to deflect it.

Noname2 did not handle it very well, but was clearly trying to clear up bad info.

Noname3 came in with the facts including links and set the record straight.

Noname4 was clearly frustrated by Noname1's inability to simply own up to a simple mistake and his obvious deflection of the issue.

To make this all better, Noname1 could have just said: "oops, I was mistaken, thanks for pointing that out." and the thread would have gone on with good corrected info.

There are a ton of such exchanges here that seem a bit infantile (if entertaining in small doses) that could be handled better for those that are looking for correct info.

That is the point of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Though out this whole thread you are seeking approval for what some might consider bellicose behavor along with seeking permission to behave in a bellicose manner.

Why? Do you have a need to be always right?

People are fallible and on forums like this offer the best that they have even if someone else might think it wrong. Leave them in peace and just post your info and move on.
A perfect example of what I referred to and we are still waiting for an answer to.

Is it that important for you to be always right?

BTW what has this thread to do with anything Automotive?

Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
A perfect example of what I referred to and we are still waiting for an answer to.

Is it that important for you to be always right?

BTW what has this thread to do with anything Automotive?
It has to do with the automotive information provided here and how to make sure it is correct. I am not always right and I appreciate it when someone corrects any mis-information I give. That way I learn as well as others.

You apparently want mis-information corrected also, as shown in your quote in red above concerning the ball joints, despite the fact that you stated so vociferously that ONLY a moderator should correct mis-information.

This is not about you, it is about providing the best automotive advice possible.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
This is not about you, it is about providing the best automotive advice possible.
Careful this freudian slip is giving you awayl

I never even hinted that this thread was about me. You just did.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive