Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times

Advertisements

Best looking?

Hmm, that's impossible really.

I guess if I were wealthy and wanted a looker, I'd drive an Apollo.
File:Gumpert Apollo 3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When people asked what it was, I'd say "Oh, it's a Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur"

Honestly though, I find beauty in the somewhat attainable price range, like the 911 and my favorite, the Lotus Exige S 260 Lotus Cars USA: 2008 Exige S 240 (http://www.lotuscars.com/exige_s260_sport.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:20 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
For a "bargain basement" supercar, it was love at first sight for me and I picked up a 2007 Z06. Personally, I think it is just absolutely gorgeous with a rear that is corvette and a front end that looks more porsche-like. (Looks a lot like the ZR-1)

Personally, it's not as sharp as some of those exotics (Ferrari yummmmm....) but then again those cars are COMPLETELY out of reach for most of the population and indeed are works of art. There is a guy that works 2 blocks away that has a murcielago, I walk by there on lunch walks occasionally and just drool.

If money weren't an issue then well....I'd own ALL of them.

P.S. The Ford GT's are sweet looking too.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
I'd have to disagree.

I think it's more attractive than any ferrari/Lambo/whatever made in the last 30 years !!

I'm afraid I just don't "get" supercars ?

Gimme a well sorted blown big block muscle car over a "supercar" anyday.

Like Mathguy says about the F150, they're just awesome, so much ore "super".
Friend of mine has an SRT-10. Jeebus !!
I've also driven a Lamborghini, and i nkow which one i'd rather have !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but come on. There's nothing aesthetically pleasing about that car at all.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
Maybe we'll get lucky and Chevrolet will actually put the Corvette Stingray into production.
Attached Thumbnails
Just for fun: Best Looking Supercars...-corvettecent_lead.jpg  

Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I'd have to disagree.

I think it's more attractive than any ferrari/Lambo/whatever made in the last 30 years !!
To each his own. Lets just say that you would be in a very, very small minority with that opinion.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I'd have to disagree.

I'm afraid I just don't "get" supercars ?

Gimme a well sorted blown big block muscle car over a "supercar" anyday.

Like Mathguy says about the F150, they're just awesome, so much ore "super".
Friend of mine has an SRT-10. Jeebus !!
I've also driven a Lamborghini, and i nkow which one i'd rather have !
My entire point is that the car you linked is a racer that probably can't be driven on public roads and can't accomodate a passenger, no heater etc etc.

So, it's as comparable to one of the "super cars" as the F150 pickup or maybe a bass boat or a jet powered dragster which is definitely the "fastest" 1/4 miler.

I'm not knocking the car...it's just a completely different type of vehicle.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 PM

I see your point, but many "supercars" don't have heaters, or radios etc either ? THe Ferrari FXX I think it's called is just one.
And, rally cars are required to be legally driven on public roads.
They're required to be driven on public roads between stages.

This is Wikipedia's definition of "supercar"
Supercar is a term generally used for ultra-high-end exotic cars, whose performance is superior to that of its contemporaries. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car with a centrally located engine", and stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match," "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own." but the proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts.

Note, it doesn't say they should be pretty.
I accept it says "centrally located engine", which the quattro doesn't have, but then I did say in my first post it maybe wasn't a true supercar, I'd rather have one than a supercar.

Yes, the picture I posted is of the Pikes Peak quattro, that may have been a little misleading. I apologise for that, I meant the quattro as a brand.
There were 2000 (IIRC) homologation specials built of the short sport quattro, which do come with heaters, etc.

There's a company called Dialynx here who build a version which looks like the one below.

0-60 in 2.45 seconds will put pretty much any supercar to shame.

http://www.dialynx.co.uk/images/beast1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WpQMV7uA8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My entire point is that the car you linked is a racer that probably can't be driven on public roads and can't accomodate a passenger, no heater etc etc.

So, it's as comparable to one of the "super cars" as the F150 pickup or maybe a bass boat or a jet powered dragster which is definitely the "fastest" 1/4 miler.

I'm not knocking the car...it's just a completely different type of vehicle.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
My father's F150 isn't a supercar in the conventional sense either but trust me, you can haul WAY more wood in it than any "real" supercar.
sweet I throw in the SVT raptor truck which is like a production baja truck it seems like it would be more fun to drive than a conventional super car cause flying through the desert at 85 MPH would be way more fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xfrbk3jovE

Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I see your point, but many "supercars" don't have heaters, or radios etc either ? THe Ferrari FXX I think it's called is just one.
And, rally cars are required to be legally driven on public roads.
They're required to be driven on public roads between stages.

This is Wikipedia's definition of "supercar"
Supercar is a term generally used for ultra-high-end exotic cars, whose performance is superior to that of its contemporaries. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car with a centrally located engine", and stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match," "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own." but the proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts.

Note, it doesn't say they should be pretty.
I accept it says "centrally located engine", which the quattro doesn't have, but then I did say in my first post it maybe wasn't a true supercar, I'd rather have one than a supercar.

Yes, the picture I posted is of the Pikes Peak quattro, that may have been a little misleading. I apologise for that, I meant the quattro as a brand.
There were 2000 (IIRC) homologation specials built of the short sport quattro, which do come with heaters, etc.

There's a company called Dialynx here who build a version which looks like the one below.

0-60 in 2.45 seconds will put pretty much any supercar to shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WpQMV7uA8
It's all good, I can see your points and each car has it's own form and function. (Hence my F150 comment).

Well, if you want to get into modded cars, here is a 2007 z06 that is street legal that is running 1/4's in <9 seconds.

2007 Chevy Corvette Z06 - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

Old 01-28-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks, i've been into modded cars for years.

I have owned a 500hp Quattro, and a 600hp Celica gt4. pretty scary cars !!

Budget constraints are stopping me right now !

I'm relying on my friend with the SRT, another with a twin turbo 1000hp firebird, and another with his 1000hp Nova to give me thrill rides !!

I'll have a look at the Vette. Thanks.

Quote:
It's all good, I can see your points and each car has it's own form and function. (Hence my F150 comment).

Well, if you want to get into modded cars, here is a 2007 z06 that is street legal that is running 1/4's in <9 seconds.

2007 Chevy Corvette Z06 - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive