Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

It took me about once around the block in Cyprus the first time I drove on the wrong side, and then I stopped thinking about it. Roundabouts can be a little bit challenging, but they are when driving normally, too. Shift and tune the radio with the left hand. Otherwise, pretty simple. Oh, yeah---at a Stop sigh, look right, and then left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 02:56 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Done it dozens of times - not a big deal, such that it doesn't even warrant a post to dicuss.

Other issues might be - Driving a standard transmission with shifting on the left might be a bit of an issue. Narrow roads in foreign countries, particularly in Europe. Bad driving habits in foreign countries (let just say, the driving rules you are used to are not followed). Insane driving in city centers. Currupt police stops looking for "backsheesh". Lack of auto tranny cars in rental agencies if that is all you can drive. Lack of parking, again in the city centers. That is what you should be asking about.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
I have never really had a problem once I left the airport. I've driven around 20000 miles around Australia, NZ and the UK. I've even driven right hand drive race cars, shifting with my left hand. No problems.

Basically when out driving around you need to think clockwise rather than counter clockwise. The McDonalds drive thru is on the opposite side of the building for instance. Remember to look right as we are used to looking left so much.

Roundabouts basically all traffic on the outside has to yield to whoever is in the roundabout. You treat the entrance of the roundabout as a yield sign.

In Aus and NZ, the turn signal is on the opposite side of the steering wheel so after coming back to the USA I am constantly hitting my windshield wipers instead of my turn signal.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times
I had no real problem, it comes fairly quickly.

One somewhat comical left turn kept me alert to the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive