Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:03 AM

747 posts, read 2,759,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A Jeep Wrangler is a terrible choice. Poor fuel economy and relatively poor safety ratings in older models. Unless you NEED offroad capability (which is very good of course) there is no reason put up with the harsh ride, noise, lack of refinement, and poor fit and finish of a Jeep.

The Nissan Altima is a good car but the older ones are not as good as newer ones. The current Altima is rated above the Accord by CR.

Note too that very few older Altimas have ABS if that is important to you.

A Civic is an excellent choice but they are still expensive used (for good reason). Other good "cheap" used cars are the Mazda Protege or Ford Focus. They don't have the refinement of the Civic, but they are solid economical cars with a lower price.

Early Volvo S40s had terrible reliability but are better now. A $5K s40 would be older and one to avoid.
Agree mostly with what's said here, except the part about older Nissan Altimas being worse. The Altima body/platform that ended in 2001 or 02 had some of the best JD Power ratings in its class:

JDPower.com | Altima
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 168,818 times
Wow, thank you all so much for your help!!! Really appreciate the info.

I am happy to say I was able to find a 2000 Honda Civic Lx. It has 133k miles & is in very good shape. It needed new tires, an alinement, which I have done. I got it's oil changed & now is there any other maintenance I should do before hitting the road??

Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC22 View Post
Wow, thank you all so much for your help!!! Really appreciate the info.

I am happy to say I was able to find a 2000 Honda Civic Lx. It has 133k miles & is in very good shape. It needed new tires, an alinement, which I have done. I got it's oil changed & now is there any other maintenance I should do before hitting the road??
Has the timing belt been changed? It should have been done between 90-105k, depending upon driving conditions.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-06-2010, 12:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
My wife had a 2003 Civic. it was a pretty good trouble free car. We traded it in at 63k for a bigger family car.
yeah the early 00's civic is a best bet IMO

Old 03-06-2010, 02:19 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC22 View Post
Hello,

I am in need of any feedback anyone can give me!
I have been on the hunt for a used car. I want something i can count on as well as something that gives me good gas mileage.

-I love the honda civic which is my #1 choice. They have a wonderful rep & get great gas mileage, however they are harder to come by. That is a newer year (2001-2005) for under $5,000 (any thoughts on 2000,2001 or 2002 being better?)
-I love the looks of the Nissan Altima (2001? & up). They see to be more resonable. Nissans seem to have a good rep as well, but I have read many negitive things about trouble people are having with these cars. The cat. converter, exccessive oil loss... is this true? Also, do they get very good gas mileage? & are they like the honda going well over 100k miles?
-Another car we are looking at is a Volvo s40. I know my parents always loved volvos for their safety! From what I have read, the newer models (2001 & up) are not like the older faithful volvos. Having more problems. You can get more for your money buying this car, but is it worth it? Any feed back with what gas mileage they get? Do they endure high miles?

Thank you SO MUCH for any feed back anyone can give! With this economy, I need what money I have saved for this to be put in the best place!
*Any other cars you might recommend would be appreciated as well!
Since your are doing your homework prior do shopping on the dealers lot (a VERY good thing to do BTW) here are some links to help you........

Top 5 Best Used Cars Under $5,000 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

How To Get A Good Used Car For Under $5,000

The Perfect Car for a Teenager - CBS MoneyWatch.com

The 10 Most Reliable Car Brands VS Your Preconceived Notions - The Consumerist

Which Car Brand is the Most Reliable? : IMT Industry Market Trends

Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times
I have a 1994 Crown Vic LX that came to my attention as a very reliable used car and I now have 7,000.00 plus invested in last 2 yrs and it only has around 115,000 miles on it and can be yours for only 750.00 as a parts car.

Plenty of leg room.

Oh and it is not running again and is parked in backyard and becoming an eyesore waiting for the next sucker who believes this is the best route to go. rotflmao!!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I just bought my wife a '01 Nissan Sentra with 97K for $3,000. We just took it on a 1500 mile trip to try it out, and it is as perfect as you can expect a ten year old car to be. I think there should be ten more years left in it. Got 35 mpg (5 on the floor, no freeways), dipstick still at flush full and clean yellow. Brakes and steering right on. body and ride tight. I don't see how you can get more car for the money.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I just bought my wife a '01 Nissan Sentra with 97K for $3,000. We just took it on a 1500 mile trip to try it out, and it is as perfect as you can expect a ten year old car to be. I think there should be ten more years left in it. Got 35 mpg (5 on the floor, no freeways), dipstick still at flush full and clean yellow. Brakes and steering right on. body and ride tight. I don't see how you can get more car for the money.
I purchased a '93 Caprice for $800 as a winter beater. Bought it with 98k on the clock and gave it to a family member with 160k. The two things that failed on the vehicle was a starter (replaced for $20) and a pinhole leak in the heater core ($30). It still runs perfectly but years of not washing the vehicle has rusted her into oblivion.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 168,818 times
Thanks for the links!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM

593 posts, read 890,418 times
Any Honda civic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive