Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

Anyone else seeing the license plate readers on new unmarked units. My local dept has three such evhicles. They bascailly have units on front and rear that in a split second will notify them if the vehicle is wanted or has tickets issued. From my understanding the state is also recording if the vehcile has insurance now;so that will mean better enforcement on that also. The wreckers were have a good day for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
That is one of the reasons I hate Texas with a passion. It is a horrible police state, even worse than Arizona.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That is one of the reasons I hate Texas with a passion. It is a horrible police state, even worse than Arizona.

Obviously you have never spent time in NY.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Obviously you have never spent time in NY.
I honestly have never been to NY, or anywhere back east. We do not have that crap Texdav is talking about here in Nevada, and I would like to keep it that way.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
I don't see anything wrong with it.

Your license plates are not private property. Cops sit there in traffic and plug them in all the time.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times
That technique is rapidly growing in popularity all around the country. It's a great system that doesn't interfer with anyone's rights, unless you stole the vehicle..!
The local University recently installed the system to control their parking situation. There are thousands of students and parking is at a premium, so they have the system installed in a compact P/U, and cruise the parking lot. Just by driving down the rows will tell them if someone is parked in the lot and didn't buy the proper permit. Your parking permit is assigned by license numbers, so they can spot the wrong doer in an instant. Getting an expensive parking ticket is part of your college education...!
One P/U with this system installed can cover the entire parking system every hour, rather than all day for a guy on foot.
License plate recognition | Number Plate Recognition | Car Detector (http://www.vigilantvideo.com/CarDetector_Mobile.htm?gclid=COuvhaXjn6ACFRsiawoda AlaaQ - broken link)

Platescan - Homepage

Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,882 times
I really don't see an issue with it

Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
That technique is rapidly growing in popularity all around the country. It's a great system that doesn't interfer with anyone's rights, unless you stole the vehicle..!
The local University recently installed the system to control their parking situation. There are thousands of students and parking is at a premium, so they have the system installed in a compact P/U, and cruise the parking lot. Just by driving down the rows will tell them if someone is parked in the lot and didn't buy the proper permit. Your parking permit is assigned by license numbers, so they can spot the wrong doer in an instant. Getting an expensive parking ticket is part of your college education...!
One P/U with this system installed can cover the entire parking system every hour, rather than all day for a guy on foot.
License plate recognition | Number Plate Recognition | Car Detector (http://www.vigilantvideo.com/CarDetector_Mobile.htm?gclid=COuvhaXjn6ACFRsiawoda AlaaQ - broken link)

Platescan - Homepage
No thanks.

Soon enough there will be recording devices/receivers strategically placed all over cities and towns. Everyones plates will be recorded whenever possible/visible and fed into databases for geographical plotting and statistical analysis. The recordings of a single plate number can be brought up in a number of seconds. All of the checkpoints it was detected at are instantly tallied and easily plotted. They will be able to view most of your traveling activities, frequency of routes taken, etc. It will all be under the guise of traffic flow monitoring, improvement of road efficiency and crime stopping... while that could be absolutely true there is no way to stop it just at that.

I may sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist but actually I am only a mere realist. The technology for this sort of tracking is cheap and rudimentary. They have plenty of excuses to implement these sort of systems and using the system for more than "good intentions" is beyond tempting and certainly inevitable. It would not shock me one bit if within the next few years RFID tags are integrated into plates. Why? Simply because they can.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Its only a treat if you have a violation and I especailly like it being link to insurance.I guess some don't appear for tehir tickets ;so they should not sign the promise to appear IMO.Go straight to jail will are your right assuredto paost bond.ts the comng thng and will save alot of money hunting those who are wanted.No new information ;its just availble easier to catch the wanted and volators.Look forward to a drunk driver sniifer in teh future to save thousands of lives.Don't so the crime if you can do the time or pay the fine.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:53 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,907,825 times
Repo Men are also starting to use this technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive