Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

2014 MG TF: Early Look at MG's Future Roadster
Nice looking roadster British car owned by Chinese company. Isn't it odd that the UK once ruled part of China and virtually all of India and now a Chinese company and an Indian company owns some of the most British of car companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:23 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
I didn't even know that MG was still around.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Looking at the numbers that Mazda puts up with the Miata I don't think anyone with the ability to analyze sales data would bother bringing out another sports car. That said a "niche" car with a high enough price, like Lotus, might find a market.

Mazda copied so much of the British sports cars, minus the spontaneously disassembling parts and gathered up a good size chunk of the market. The big problem is that the market segment for these, aging baby boomers is getting older, and smaller all the time.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
first thing i saw when i looked at that car was the pontiac solstice, and since both the saturn sky and pontiac solstice are gone, this may fill that void left behind by these cars if its big enough.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Looking at the numbers that Mazda puts up with the Miata I don't think anyone with the ability to analyze sales data would bother bringing out another sports car. That said a "niche" car with a high enough price, like Lotus, might find a market.

Mazda copied so much of the British sports cars, minus the spontaneously disassembling parts and gathered up a good size chunk of the market. The big problem is that the market segment for these, aging baby boomers is getting older, and smaller all the time.

Good size chunk indeed. Mazda owns 100% of the market under $30k, and the next closest thing you get to a two seat roadster can be found in ~$50k roadsters like the Boxster and Z4, or the Lostuses. Honda did at least have a foothold int the $35-38k range before it killed the S2000. I'm frankly amazed that the Mazda Miata (MX-5) has been without competition for 20 years now. GM finally mounted a weak effort with the Solstice/Sky, but that was a poorly engineered and ultimately aborted effort.

The last of the UK MGs were overpriced, underpowered, and unreliable, and that's one reason the company went under, maybe the Chinese version will be cheaper, but it will be hard to compete with such market saturation and stiff competition. Looking at the engine choices listed, I'm inclined to think the MG will not have the lively spirit of a Miata but will be more of a cruiser.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Actually, that's not strictly true. The MG's weren't too bad. They were on a fairly equal footing with their direct competitors in terms of cost, reliability etc.
It was just that they'd been producing the same models for years, and didn't have the money available to produce anything new.
Therefore sales dwindled, folk didn't want a brand new car which was a 15 year old design.

What killed the company as much as anything was the alleged inappropriate behaviour of the directors who took over when it was bought from BMW.

MG Rover collapse: Phoenix Four had secret plan to share BMW's £75m | Business | guardian.co.uk

there wwas rumours of holidays, huge bonuses, and poor management, among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The last of the UK MGs were overpriced, underpowered, and unreliable, and that's one reason the company went under, maybe the Chinese version will be cheaper, but it will be hard to compete with such market saturation and stiff competition. Looking at the engine choices listed, I'm inclined to think the MG will not have the lively spirit of a Miata but will be more of a cruiser.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I didn't even know that MG was still around.
They're not. But someone still owns the rights so they can resurrect it at any time. Kinda like Bugatti gets resurrected from time to time.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:26 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Looks like they have been in production with the name for a few years:
BBC NEWS | Business | Chinese plant rolls out first MG

They were planning to start a factory in the US, supposedly in Oklahoma:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/bu...ss/12auto.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive